Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 10:51:40 PM EDT
I picked up my first extract kit today and now I just need the equipment to brew it.  

Actually, I ordered a starter brewing kit several days ago and expect it anytime in the next couple of days.  I'm not crazy about the extract kit that comes with the brewing kit, so I went to the local brew supply store and picked up something more to my liking.  

After reading the instructions, as well as spending the past couple of months doing some research on brewing, I'm thinking I might want to do a fairly lengthy secondary fermentation and maybe add some bourbon soaked oak cubes.  I can always brew the hefeweizen that comes with the kit, while I wait for my preferred beer to be ready.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.
Its a fun and rewarding hobby.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I bottled the Heffeweizen that came with my brewing kit, on Wednesday.  The Russian Imperial Stout has about 25 minutes of boiling left.  

I LOVE strong stouts but HATE a strong hop flavor in a stout (that's for Hazy IPA's), so I only used 75% of the hops.  Hopefully it doesn't throw the balance completely off.     Oh well, my biggest motivator for home brewing (besides the chance to spend a lot of money on shiny new toys) is to experiment.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:51:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#3]
The Russian Imperial Stout is now in the fermenter.  

The hydrometer is hard to read, due to foam and it keeps spinning, but as best as I can tell, OG = 1.074 to 1.075.  The recipe specified 1.076 to 1.080, so I guess I put a little too much water in?  

I hope it tastes less hoppy than it smells.  I used about 75% of the hops the recipe called for.  

Yes, that is Bourbon in the airlock.

Attachment Attached File

Like used motor oil.  

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  Holy shit, the wort tastes good!!   It's too bitter for my tastes, but I'll see what happens as it ages.  At some point, I will add bourbon soaked oak or a vanilla tincture made with bourbon.  Going for the barrel aged flavor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The Imperial Stout has been fermenting for one week and in one more week, I'm going to add these:

Attachment Attached File

Toasted oak cubes, soaked in Four Roses Small Batch bourbon.  The smell coming from these is incredible and it is indeed some of what I love about barrel aged stouts.  

I did my first all-grain brew last night.  A one gallon ale using the brew-in-a-bag method.  The numbers came out totally screwy and I'm not optimistic about the outcome, but I learned a lot.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The oak cubes went in today and it's sitting at 7.1% ABV.  I might bottle it in a week.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top