Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 8:03:48 PM EDT
Great friend and coworker just left for greener pastures, and I'd like to get him a $150ish bottle of bourbon as a going away present.

I know that rare and unique bourbon is a pain to find due to demand, prices are insane, etc.

If you happen to be able to give me some guidance to order something online, or what to be on the lookout for in local stores, I'd be very grateful.

He's an old fashioned guy, occasionally smoked or other fancy crap.

He also enjoys a drink neat every now and then. His standard go to when he's in a hotel bar with limited selection is bulleit. I never paid much attention to what he would order when he was feeling a bit more frisky though.

I'm a gin and beer guy, so I'm really lost on this one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Solid advice from KILLERB6.  What part of the country are you guys in?  That might help with a recommendation, i.e.- potentially something that would be a reminder of that area.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lattimer] [#4]
We're in NY

ETA: Apparantly my manners fell right off. Thank you guys for the info so far.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#5]
$150 would probably get you some overpriced allocated bottle.

There are some good Bourbons for $50 to $70.

I would recommend Wild Turkey Rare Breed for about $50. You could get a couple different things if you want to spend more.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:44:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alba666] [#6]
If you have a Total Wine nearby, I would suggest a visit with the store folks and explain the situation.

Personally, I'd look into the Russell's Reserve offerings. The Russell family are the master distillers behind Wild Turkey.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I also would get a feel for what he likes or doesn’t. Bourbon can be like wine, it depends on personal taste.  Maybe find if there is a bourbon that he wants, just hasn’t tried.

Other option is to find a bourbon bar/Restaurant and have a good steak and a flight of bourbons.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone's taste is different.
Several liquors seem to be liked by all - such as the Jack Daniels 10 and 12-year.
You also can't go wrong with a good Larceny or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof IMHO or Stagg (jr).
I like the steak dinner suggestion at a place with a good selection of whisky best.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lattimer:
We're in NY

ETA: Apparantly my manners fell right off. Thank you guys for the info so far.
View Quote

get him something from King's County then. It's a NY distiller. Either the barrel strength or bottled in bond.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Gift certificate.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:57:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Get him a nice bottle of scotch.  Open his eyes (and wallet) to scotch.  Macallan 18.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:59:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Now you’ve done it.

Concur…but that adds a different can of worms to the can of worms the OP is currently facing….Highlands, Islay, Lowlands…
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By DD1801:
Get him a nice bottle of scotch.  Open his eyes (and wallet) to scotch.  Macallan 18.
Now you’ve done it.

Concur…but that adds a different can of worms to the can of worms the OP is currently facing….Highlands, Islay, Lowlands…

Macallan is swill and for Taiwanese business executives. If you go scotch for a newbie, go Glenmorangie.

If you’re going bourbon, a few notes.  First, basically the same 6-10 distilleries make most whisky in the US.  Many times you’re buying a label and cool marketing.  Second, I’d keep the limit to around 100.  After that, your dollars are decreasingly going towards quality and more after image.

Based on what you’ve said, maybe try a bulleit single barrel.  These are mostly store cask selections and retail for 50-60. Russell’s reserve single barrel. If you want to impress a fairly new bourbon drinker , try a blantons or weller antique (both are not easy to find but on secondary for ~100$.) there is one bottle that impressed me recently, it’s the James E Pepper  barrel proof, and retails for around 70$.  Great bottle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top