Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2024 12:10:21 PM EDT

Having all your stuff laid out makes the job go so much faster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I reckon so.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
First order of business is to takes that fucking never seize and toss it right in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I know this isn't GD, but what's up with the pool and spa lube?!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#4]
Only a person who uses Ryobi tools would do some weirdness like that.

Ahh this isn’t GD. But that OP reeks of GDness
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
First order of business is to takes that fucking never seize and toss it right in the trash.
View Quote

Why?  I use it all the time.  It is fantastic.  On brakes, I use it to coat the hub surface to reduce corrosion where the rotor touches, and on the rotor holding screw.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
I know this isn't GD, but what's up with the pool and spa lube?!
View Quote

I have a pool.  You use this for O-rings on the pump, and filter, so they seal.  Go through a tube per year or two.

It is pure silicone, so I also use it anytime I need to lube an o-ring.  Just used it this week on my neighbor's pressure washer connections, when I borrowed it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:
Only a person who uses Ryobi tools would do some weirdness like that.

Ahh this isn’t GD. But that OP reeks of GDness
View Quote

How so?

I love my Ryobi tools.  Been using them for almost 20 years.  Not Milwaukee, but they haven't let me down.

These brakes were on a 2018 Honda Accord.  My cousin got quoted $500, I told her we could do a better job with Centric and Akebono for $130.  She just left the house.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

How so?

I love my Ryobi tools.  Been using them for almost 20 years.  Not Milwaukee, but they haven't let me down.

These brakes were on a 2018 Honda Accord.  My cousin got quoted $500, I told her we could do a better job with Centric and Akebono for $130.  She just left the house.
View Quote

The comment was tongue in cheek. Ryobi tools are fine 90% of the time. Ergonomics they can fall short. Guys racing against the clock for their paycheck generally don’t use them, nor do they usually lay everything out before starting
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Why?  I use it all the time.  It is fantastic.  On brakes, I use it to coat the hub surface to reduce corrosion where the rotor touches, and on the rotor holding screw.
View Quote

You can toss those stupid screws in the trash along with the tin man lube.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
You can toss those stupid screws in the trash along with the tin man lube.
View Quote

I like the screws.  I know they are not needed.  I don't live in the rust belt.  They hold the rotor square when I am mounting the bracket and pads, this keeps any brake lubricant on the bracket slides off the rotor from accidental contact.  The nickel anti-seize is really good at keeping corrosion down on the hub surface.  I'll stick with both.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Wheres the big ass hammer & torch? You got it easy in TX…🙂
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ICU:
Wheres the big ass hammer & torch? You got it easy in TX…🙂
View Quote

Yep very little rust.  I did have to press and beat the rotors off a little due to rust.  First time for that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I probably gotta do the brakes on my wife's car pretty much right away.  IIRC last inspection they were close, and she's due.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#14]
Don't use that impact on your caliper bolts.  

Ask me how I know.  

It's nice to see people still use that piston return tool.  I just use a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#15]
What was new for me this time around, was electronic parking brakes.

This was an '18 Accord with those electronics on the caliper.  The "normal" way to change the brake pads is to connect to the computer and tell the vehicle brakes to go into a maintenance mode, which will retract the parking brake gearing fully.  Then when complete, take the brakes out of maintenance mode.

Not having that capability, I watched a couple YouTube videos, and they showed a method to disconnect the electronic brakes, remove the e-brake assembly from the caliper, and manually wind back the gearing to a fully retracted state.  At this point, I was able to push the caliper piston back just like a normal caliper.  Another method is to screw the piston to unwind the e-brake gearing and allow for piston push, but the typical auto-store tools did not fit this piston.

After that, changing the pads was just like any other vehicle.  When we were done, had to turn on and off the parking brake a few times to let the gearing fully engage the pads.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By M-60:
It's nice to see people still use that piston return tool.  I just use a screwdriver.
View Quote

The piston compressor is a $10 tool and makes life EASY.  I used to use an old c-clamp, but the backside of calipers aint like they used to be.

Plus, you aint compressing anything until you deal with the electronic parking brake gearing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Ask me how I know.  

https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc-II/i-hKd45tp/0/FbC6Wvsfp5V6Pmv6KdcSwvVXzGP3RzvsLr5xQL5hx/XL/MAML0304-XL.jpg
View Quote

What that just trying to remove it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#18]

This was an '18 Accord with those electronics on the caliper.  The "normal" way to change the brake pads is to connect to the computer and tell the vehicle brakes to go into a maintenance mode, which will retract the parking brake gearing fully.  Then when complete, take the brakes out of maintenance mode.

Not having that capability, I watched a couple YouTube videos, and they showed a method to disconnect the electronic brakes, remove the e-brake assembly from the caliper, and manually wind back the gearing to a fully retracted state.  At this point, I was able to push the caliper piston back just like a normal caliper.  Another method is to screw the piston to unwind the e-brake gearing and allow for piston push, but the typical auto-store tools did not fit this piston.

After that, changing the pads was just like any other vehicle.  When we were done, had to turn on and off the parking brake a few times to let the gearing fully engage the pads.
View Quote

Yet another example of Electronics making our life less easy.

Did my daughters CIVIC just a while ago.  Believe it or not, it has drums on the rear.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Wont work on every vehicle but this works great on certain calipers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV71GZ1
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Ask me how I know.  

https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc-II/i-hKd45tp/0/FbC6Wvsfp5V6Pmv6KdcSwvVXzGP3RzvsLr5xQL5hx/XL/MAML0304-XL.jpg

View Quote

I will do you one better. I had to Sawsall a bolt when I did brakes on my suburban yesterday.  
My ratchet backed into the frame, and I could not turn the lever to release it. 😂
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:

I will do you one better. I had to Sawsall a bolt when I did brakes on my suburban yesterday.  
My ratchet backed into the frame, and I could not turn the lever to release it. 😂
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49496/IMG_8286_jpeg-3192190.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ask me how I know.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Did you try turning the wheel a bit?

That sucks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Yes.  1/2" impact, that got moved to tighten by mistake before letting it ugga.  Didn't even get to the "dugga" part.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you try turning the wheel a bit?
View Quote

Doubt that would help for calipers on the rear axle.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Yes.  1/2" impact, that got moved to tighten by mistake before letting it ugga.  Didn't even get to the "dugga" part.
View All Quotes

I have to admit, on this brake job I just did, I started tightening the 17mm bracket bolt, and was wondering, why wont this break loose?  Then I realized I was going the wrong way.    I'm lucky I didn't put my arm into it yet, but I bet I got 150 foot pounds on it before I figured it out.  That was a first for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Bigger pry bar?

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Bigger pry bar?

View All Quotes

Bigger pry bar?

now it’s a party!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I did brakes on my mom's 2010 Audi with the electric park brake. On that I can't just turn the calipers in. It has encoders and checks pad thickness to tell you when your brake pads in the rear are worn.

I thought my car was fancy with sensors in the front pads!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

You cut the bolt and not the socket adapter?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

This ^

Should’ve seen this coming as you loosened the bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top