Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 1:22:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _Nataraja_]
I've been trying to limit my intake of "seed" oils, particularly canola, palm, safflower, soy, cotton, and corn (along with HFCS). I'm pretty much am always "in shape", but I have effortlessly gotten leaner and my joints feel better...YMMV.

Anyhow, most items are pretty easy to find, but bread and especially hamburger / hot dog buns are pretty much impossible. I'm not looking for "organic" poison, I just want some darn bread without them altogether.

OUTSIDE of making them, does anyone have a source? (I'm in Las Vegas, NV fwiw).

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sanlanman] [#1]
You are not alone. Check out this video of this Doctor trying to find breads without seed oils and low/no sugar added. He partially succeeds at the freezer case.

Impossible to buy Healthy Bread
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
You pretty much have to bake it yourself.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Organic Sour dough breads usually have no seed oils in them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By searchin4shacks:
Organic Sour dough breads usually have no seed oils in them.
View Quote

Hmm, thanks. I'm not sure how I feel about eating a burger on sourdough bread. I make patty melts with Dave's rye brea, so not too crazy I guess.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _Nataraja_] [#6]
ETA: Wrong quote.

Apparently there are plenty of Rabbis who will bless "vegetable" oil, because that's what everyone uses, at least that I've found.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Unless you have a way to get them fresh (i.e., baked that morning) from a proper bakery - you're going to be hard pressed to find much in the bread aisle at a regular supermarket. Or even their "bakery", to be honest. Real bread without the crap goes stale much faster (and costs more) - which is why they doctor it so much to begin with. Even the bakery at my local HEB (I just checked) uses use a palm and/or soybean oil in the "French Bread" baguettes they bake each day.

Honestly it's worth the one-time investment of effort, to learn how to bake a basic bread (form it into a loaf for sandwich bread, make burger buns with it, etc). I haven't bought bread at the store in years. A bog standard white bread takes me all of ~3 hours (max) start to finish, and most of that is just waiting for it to proof and bake. The active time on it with me in the kitchen (including cleanup), might be all of 20 minutes. Generously.

Once you learn how to do it and control all of the variables (and were mindful enough to write it all down), it's basically paint-by-numbers after that - especially if you own a stand mixer. I'm on autopilot when I bake a loaf, or make burger buns.

It's only "work", and it only feels like "effort", when you're learning how to do it for the first few times. After that, you're on cruise control. Worth thinking about, anyway.

Beyond that, best I can suggest is to just find an actual bakery. A good one near me charges about $7/loaf for a regular sandwich or sourdough loaf. I might have ~$1.50 worth of ingredients in mine. It's not really worth calculating it out.

View Quote

Yeah, you're right. I need to just suck it up and learn how to bake bread. My wife actually used our bread maker that she wanted....once. Guess it's time to break it back out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Honestly it's worth the one-time investment of effort, to learn how to bake a basic bread (form it into a loaf for sandwich bread, make burger buns with it, etc). I haven't bought bread at the store in years. A bog standard white bread takes me all of ~3 hours (max) start to finish, and most of that is just waiting for it to proof and bake. The active time on it with me in the kitchen (including cleanup), might be all of 20 minutes. Generously.

View Quote

Care to share your recipe/technique?  I know you've posted a lot of cooking stuff over the years, so maybe you already have.  

I'd love to know how to turn simple ingredients into a nice loaf of bread.  Especially if it doesn't take all weekend like the sourdough video I just watched on youtube
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:

Hmm, thanks. I'm not sure how I feel about eating a burger on sourdough bread. I make patty melts with Dave's rye brea, so not too crazy I guess.
View Quote

It does sound weird, but there's a burger place back home that serves a burger on sourdough bread, and it's pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless you have a way to get them fresh (i.e., baked that morning) from a proper bakery - you're going to be hard pressed to find much in the bread aisle at a regular supermarket. Or even their "bakery", to be honest. Real bread without the crap goes stale much faster (and costs more) - which is why they doctor it so much to begin with.
View Quote

I learned that when I started making tortillas. Fresh made ones will be stale/moldy within a couple of days, where the packaged ones from the supermarket will last weeks. It does make you think about what the crap they include to make them last that long might be doing to your body.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Make bread with an oil in it but not vegetable oil.  

LARD!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Bake it yourself...it's not that hard.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Focaccia uses olive oil. I have the recipe for buns we use at the restaurant if you want it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:29:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredC1] [#17]
I believe Dave’s Power Seed bread is what you seek

DavesKillerBread

Doesn’t have seed oils but, at least the first option I pulled up, does have sunflower SEEDS. Not sure if that matters or not. They have different varieties with varying ingredients though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I suppose I could, but it's not appreciably different than a gazillion enriched white bread recipes on YouTube (especially if you want to see what it looks like at each stage). I do own a KitchenAid stand mixer, so I've kind of got it "paint by numbers" style when I make it - the recipe and my steps are almost robotic. It's extremely consistent and repeatable in my kitchen, which is why I do it that way.

But if you really want, I can post it up. I'm in the middle of making dinner right now, but I can toss it up later. It's nothing super special.
View Quote

Don’t go to a bunch of trouble for me. I’m happy to spend some time at youtube university. I have a loaf pan, plenty of mixing bowls, and I’m not afraid to get my hands covered in dough.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#20]
$7/loaf. Ouch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JaredC1:
I believe Dave's Power Seed bread is what you seek

DavesKillerBread

Doesn't have seed oils but, at least the first option I pulled up, does have sunflower SEEDS. Not sure if that matters or not. They have different varieties with varying ingredients though.
$7/loaf. Ouch.

I heard a quote somewhere:

“Stop asking why healthy or good food is so expensive and start asking why other food is so cheap”
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top