Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2024 2:30:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04]
I finally got around to making a bench to work on my guns.

I’m not the handiest guy but I think this came out decent for my needs.

What polyurethane would be best for this type of wood? Preliminary searching is saying I should use a water based wood poly and that 3 coats, with sanding in between, should be more than sufficient. I’m not gonna be doing anything heavy duty.

I also saw something about choosing a poly that isn't gonna yellow over time.

And I don’t know if I wanna poly/sand the whole thing. Maybe just the legs and the top/bottom of the table top. Doing the whole bench seems like way too much work.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrSig239] [#1]
I built my workbench over 25 years ago and left it unfinished. It still looks like it did when I made it except for a few stains from actual use. I'll try to grab a pic later today when I head to the shop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#2]
For a workbench any poly will do. I'd ask friends and family to see if they had a partial can left over and use that up.

In general, I prefer oil based poly. It seems to be more flexible, whereas the water-based seems a little brittle. It may be my imagination as both are surface finishes, but oil based appears to penetrate a bit more when applied.

Water based does seem to cure/dry faster and sanding between layers doesn't seem to gum up the sandpaper as much.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I cover my top with 1/8" luan (hardboard) sheets.  Keeps the top clean and I can replace when beat up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 9:48:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#4]
Varathane has held up better than any other finish I have used, and it is on my bar and work bench. I recently tried their water based product and I am thoroughly impressed.

As far as water base being brittle, I used it on a wear spot under my desk chair on an oak hardwood.  Solid product!
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I would pick something matte.  Not glossy unless you want it to be slick

Some people use a combo of linseed oil and wax.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
I cover my top with 1/8" luan (hardboard) sheets.  Keeps the top clean and I can replace when beat up.
View Quote

This though I mentioned 1/4” in his other thread
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I started the same thread in the Do-It-Yourself forum, as that forum has more traffic.

Based on the feedback I got there, I'm gonna use Watco Danish Oil. It seems easy to apply and it'll be a fairly quick process. I'm going to prep the wood per the tech sheet and then apply the finish.

This bench is just gonna be used for basic gun maintenance. I won't be doing anything heavy duty. I don't mind if the table sustains small scratches and dings, and if it does start getting too dinged up I can always touch up those areas with the Watco oil.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Good great choice ! I was going to recommend a linseed oil finish. Membrane finishes eventually wear out, and need replacement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top