Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 8:55:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms]
Anybody ever buy a house in a resort community?

Wife and I sold our house outside of DC a year ago and have been traveling with the kids ever since.

We drove through some resort communities in the Orlando area a few month back and are interested in purchasing a house in one.

We're thinking about buying it this fall, spending 6-12 months in it fixing it up and making it stand out more in listings and such.  We've been staying in short-term rentals the past year full time so we have a lot of ideas on how to make a place more comfortable and desirable.

We'd then probably purchase another house to stay in most of the time.  

Does anybody have any experience doing something like this?  I understand the HOA is super strict and they actually manage all the rentals which is kinda weird but I guess it's an easy button.  We're not looking to make a ton out of it, just hopefully enough to cover expenses while we're not in it.

What do you all think, anything I'm missing?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have specific experience with resort communities, but pay close attention to the taxes, fees, etc that are involved with something like that.

It may be that the fees charged prohibit you from being profitable as a rental.
1) HOA fees are likely hundreds of dollars.
2) Property taxes?
3) If the community manages the rentals, how much do they charge the owner?
4) Since the community manages the rentals, ask about vacancy rate.  
5) Check the rents on the houses that are in the area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top