Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2023 10:53:50 AM EDT
Good morning, I am a brand new CDL holder (last week lol).  I am scheduled to head out for OTR training next week and am signed onto a mega in the Midwest for the next year although I can buy my way out pretty easily.  My plan is to find a home daily or rough equivalent hauling non hazmat tanker.  Does anyone have advice or knowledge in that sector?  I am also eager to hear any advice from anyone who is or has done this job. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
You can PM me.  That's pretty much how I got my start.  Anything in particular you want to know?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Your going to need atleast that year in experience to haul hazmat. There are a few companies out there willing to take you in with 6 months, but most of those aren't worth working for.

In time, if you want to be home daily, look into gas hauling. I've been driving 19 years and 7 of it was gas, you'll make good money and be home daily. I only gave it up to become a owner operator.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you want food grade tanker.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:11:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#5]
Good luck, most company's want 5 years OTR experience. you might have to drive for a shit company for a while  to prove you ain't going to wreck up their truck and damage loads.  I hear Swift is hiring.

Semi-Truck Loses Back Wheels Trying to Turn Around Safety Barriers
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully you chose wisely for your mega carrier. Being in Ohio, you probably had far better choices with smaller companies. I think @foxtrot08 hires rookies to haul fuel for him as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol I’m not with Swift but I don’t really want to post where I’m working rn.  I’m going to pm some of you if you guys don’t mind.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Also yes please move this to the trucking forum. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Find an asphalt or cement hauler.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:50:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#10]
What part of Ohio are you in?

Edit:

Why non-hazmat?

Fuel is going to be the easiest thing to get into and make good money.

Most of my guys start off making around 60-70k. Plus benefits on top of that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chargerkid5:
Find an asphalt or cement hauler.
View Quote

Asphalt, home every day, might be long hours but nothing to bad. Depending on the company might have some night paves to do but you can plan for that usually.

Mixers seem to have some really fucked up hours.

Dump truck for a good construction company wouldn't be bad but learning the dos and donts on a job site could be a bit much while still learning how to drive.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuburbanDrone] [#12]
Foxtrot I’m just north of Columbus.  I will do anything I just always heard grain is easy as far as customer service.  I’m in this to make money and to grow as a driver.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woodchuck1] [#13]
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:
Good luck, most company's want 5 years OTR experience. you might have to drive for a shit company for a while  to prove you ain't going to wreck up their truck and damage loads.  I hear Swift is hiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pImITDQeTU
View Quote

Horrible advice.  

You can get a local job with no experience, easily enough.  

You do not need to work for the bottom feeder companies in order to get started, much less 5 years OTR.  

There are folks in OP’s area in this thread already, but if he requests further help I can send him a list of companies that will hire him right out of school and work locally.  

To illustrate how ridiculous the claim of 5 year OTR ‘requirement’ is:
XPO (hazmat), YRC(hazmat), Old Dominion (Hazmat), FirstFleet and ABF(Hazmat),  (to mention five off the top of my head) hire with no experience, and are all local/home daily.  

If you look at ANY job listings, you see requirements of 2 years, 1 year, 6 months…and with a diploma from a trucking school, they often waive that requirement even.   Apply.  Call.    Follow up.   Don’t take no for an answer.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#14]
non hazmat tanker
so food grade
and home every day
so local
and your in ohio,
farming country
myself, i'd look into being a milk hauler
yea, its steady
alot of weekends and most holidays, but it always seems like if you can haul milk you can pretty much go anywhere afterwrds.

glorious.....................not really..............but lots of farmers wives and daughters...........................

perhaps maybe look for a food company that has a transport division................................
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:

Horrible advice.  

You do not need to work for the bottom feeder companies in order to get started, much less 5 years OTR.  

There are folks in OP’s area in this thread already, but if he requests further help I can send him a list of companies that will hire him right out of school and work locally.  

XPO (hazmat), YRC(hazmat), Old Dominion (Hazmat), and FirstFleet and ABF(Hazmat),  (to mention five off the top of my head) hire with no experience, and are all local/home daily.  

If you look at ANY job listings, you see requirements of 2 years, 1 year, 6 months…and with a diploma from a trucking school, they often waive that requirement even.   Apply.  Call.    Follow up.   Don’t take no for an answer.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:
Originally Posted By 21usernamechecksout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pImITDQeTU

Horrible advice.  

XPO (hazmat), YRC(hazmat), Old Dominion (Hazmat), and FirstFleet and ABF(Hazmat),  (to mention five off the top of my head) hire with no experience, and are all local/home daily.  

I couldn't agree more. I went directly from school into a home every night LTL job doing hazmat almost immediately.  

The old rules simply don't apply any more.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 4:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#16]
Originally Posted By JoshInReno:

I couldn't agree more. I went directly from school into a home every night LTL job doing hazmat almost immediately.  

The old rules simply don't apply any more.
View Quote

Yup, the Demand for Drivers has forced Companies to be less demanding of experience for sure.

There is just simply too much demand for CDL holders nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:54:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#17]
I went from getting a CDL without school directly into a job. I didn't even know how to float gears.. they taught me everything at my job. That was 5 years ago.

Finding drivers is hard. Companies are willing to give you a chance...
I will say, I had an excellent resume going in.
Also no DUIs ever and a clean driving record.

Just showing up on time to an interview with a great attitude pretty much gets you a driving job these days.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
I went from getting a CDL without school directly into a job. I didn't even know how to float gears.. they taught me everything at my job. That was 5 years ago.

Just showing up on time to an interview with a great attitude pretty much gets you a driving job these days.

View Quote

That is now illegal.

CDL school is now required.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#19]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

That is now illegal.

View All Quotes

That is now illegal.

I know.
What I'm saying is..the school grads should have a 1 up going in.

But
That's not the point.
The point is driver demand.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:09:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#20]
I know.

But
That's not the point.

View Quote

CDL school doesn't teach someone how to drive, they teach you how to pass the DMV test.

I spent more damn time trying to un-learn stuff like *double clutching* instead of *floating gears*,, because schools cannot teach you how float gears.
I had to force myself to not use the clutch EVERY SHIFT for weeks after school at my first job.

Also lots of schools nowadays don't even teach *double clutching* some have dropped it entirely due to alot of students not wanting to take the time and the added stress of learning how to - along with THE MEGA'S all going with Automatics.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:06:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like you want food grade tanker.
View Quote
Or a septic company
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:00:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#22]
Originally Posted By barbcue:

CDL school doesn't teach someone how to drive, they teach you how to pass the DMV test.

I spent more damn time trying to un-learn stuff like *double clutching* instead of *floating gears*,, because schools cannot teach you how float gears.
I had to force myself to not use the clutch EVERY SHIFT for weeks after school at my first job.

Also lots of schools nowadays don't even teach *double clutching* some have dropped it entirely due to alot of students not wanting to take the time and the added stress of learning how to - along with THE MEGA'S all going with Automatics.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By barbcue:
I know.

But
That's not the point.

I just looked into it and the local schools near me spend about 80 Hours Total, teaching someone how to get their license...
If they're not learning how to drive, What the hell are they doing because 80 hours and 5000+ bucks is a lot to waste.

Either that or they're teaching the dumbest people.

I think i passed my test after maybe 10 hours total of home studying and driving combined.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#23]

I just looked into it and the local schools near me spend about 80 Hours Total, teaching someone how to get their license...
If they're not learning how to drive, What the hell are they doing because 80 hours and 5000+ bucks is a lot to waste.

Either that or they're teaching the dumbest people.

I think i passed my test after maybe 10 hours total of home studying and driving combined.
View Quote
When I went through my CDL school (Michigan wouldn't transfer my .mil license back then), our time was about evenly split between yard work practicing your backing maneuvers/pre-trip inspections and on the road driving that was a mix of city and freeway driving. There was a day of classroom time where log books, trip planning and defensive driving were covered. There's only so much you can teach a new driver in that amount of time and a company hiring a driver fresh out of school is going to have to do some finishing training before turning a freshly minted driver loose on the road solo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#24]
If you don't mind labor find a beer distributor...
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#25]
So I’m a few days into the otr training and I’ve gotta say I can see how this easily gets into your blood.  I’m actually having a blast.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#26]
The first year of OTR can be awesome seeing places you've only heard about. If you don't have a family at home to come back to, I'd highly recommend taking your home time at various places around the country, renting a car and pretend you are on vacation. I sent my trailer to Ford in Mexico once and instead of moping around Nogales waiting for it to come back, I went to the Titan II museum one day and Pima Air museum another. With uber and lyft, just taking a 34 at the right place can be the recipe for a great time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SuburbanDrone:
Good morning, I am a brand new CDL holder (last week lol).  I am scheduled to head out for OTR training next week and am signed onto a mega in the Midwest for the next year although I can buy my way out pretty easily.  My plan is to find a home daily or rough equivalent hauling non hazmat tanker.  Does anyone have advice or knowledge in that sector?  I am also eager to hear any advice from anyone who is or has done this job. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Haul water. I work 8-10 hr shifts.  Home every day. I made $110k last year. Either fully loaded or completely empty, not much slosh or surge.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SHORTSTROKE83:

Haul water. I work 8-10 hr shifts.  Home every day. I made $110k last year. Either fully loaded or completely empty, not much slosh or surge.
View Quote

What part of Maine?

I assume for Poland Springs?

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Of you aren't dead set against hazmat, Cryo pays really well, is clean, easy and home daily.  I haul liquid nitrogen and Oxygen.  It's the best driving job I've ever had.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#30]
That obvious?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]
That obvious?
View Quote

Presuming in reference to my question, I ask as I’m planning on moving back up that way in a few months, and will be in need of a job if I do, so more info would be of specific interest if you’re willing to share.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#32]
That obvious?
View Quote
Um, hauling water in ME is dead give away. I haven't been to the swamp in 20+ years but even I guessed that. I heard they built a new facility up there as well as trucking tankers to PA after I stopped hauling it back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By larkinmusic:
Of you aren't dead set against hazmat, Cryo pays really well, is clean, easy and home daily.  I haul liquid nitrogen and Oxygen.  It's the best driving job I've ever had.
View Quote

I’m not dead set against anything.  What would be the best companies around ohio to look into once I get a bit more driving experience.  I’m at 4 months now with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Airgas is currently hiring in Canton.  Don't know of any others.  Air Products, Linde are two of the other big names.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top