Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/22/2024 4:57:04 PM EDT
My kid went and got his CDL.  During class, the recruiting folks all but assured him a job the day he passes his testing.  He passed his testing.  Swift, Werner, and Schneider all had folks that shook hand and told him to call after completing the course and they would set him up.  When he called, they 'were not hiring new drivers in this area'.

I know jack diddly about driving and the culture.

Does anyone have an idea where I can send this kid too get behind the wheel for a couple of years?

21 years old, Marion County, FL. HS Grad.  Won't Quit.

Sincerely
Me.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Why's a 21 year old man's father trying to find him a job? Seems that's the first issue at hand
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar154all] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 210grum:
Why's a 21 year old man's father trying to find him a job? Seems that's the first issue at hand
View Quote

Because I love him and want to see him happy.

All I want to do is point in the right direction....
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

I believe it's called 'word of mouth". Myself and everyone I know have and does use it.

Roy
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
21?

Op need to cut that umbilical cord and let learn what is real world life.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:09:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BabaYaga22] [#5]
Jesus all the hate here.

All OP is asking for is some basic advice on a subject he knows nothing about and would like to see what his kid can do to improve his odds. Isn’t OTR trucking seeing a shortage problem? GD assured me that it’s impossible to find good sober drivers. Now they dog pile on the OP whose son is trying to WORK in a field, that GD said needed help? Damn. I applaud OPs son for getting off his ass getting his CDL and trying to work a thankless job.

Sorry OP can’t help you, not in that field. Hopefully someone will come along and take you seriously.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snert] [#6]
Why not someplace like FedEx or Ups line haul.

Tell him to stay away from anything that involves a hand truck. This would be food (sysco, usfoods, mains etc) and beverage industry.

If he can get into food hauler for supermarket chains, they are primarily no touch loads.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Apply at city, county, state public works/dept of trans agencies.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#8]
[Deleted]
You are done in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Garbage company? Concrete? Commercial development? Dump trucks?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not in the industry but it's my understanding Florida is really hard to find freight out of.
Maybe if he makes it understood he would stay out longer it would make a difference.
In my area a lot of guys get their start pulling a hopper bottom for local farmers during harvest.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larkinmusic] [#11]
He could try with Marten or CFI.  I think they are hiring in that area.

ETA-If it were me, I would look at Schneider's tanker training.  I personally believe hazmat tanker is one of the best jobs in the industry.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
@PhuzzyGnu
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Snert:
Why not someplace like FedExor Ups line haul.
View Quote

First CDL A job was hauling groceries,  decent pay and home daily. If he really is set on on otr I would go with a smaller local company over the mega corps that are nothing but turnover mills.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Nothing wrong with a dad trying help out his son when the kid wants to work regardless of his age.

In for for honest, helpful replies.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Really?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck OTR

Look at UPS or LTL (Old Dominion and XPO).
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:
Jesus all the hate here.

All OP is asking for is some basic advice on a subject he knows nothing about and would like to see what his kid can do to improve his odds. Isn’t OTR trucking seeing a shortage problem? GD assured me that it’s impossible to find good sober drivers. Now they dog pile on the OP whose son is trying to WORK in a field, that GD said needed help? Damn. I applaud OPs son for getting off his ass getting his CDL and trying to work a thankless job.

Sorry OP can’t help you, not in that field. Hopefully someone will come along and take you seriously.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess we find out who all don’t have kids or step kids in this thread?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:19:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesJones] [#19]
Forget that kid OP. He's 21 and has lived enough life to have it figured out.

Anyway OTR sucks albeit most truck driving jobs suck. I'd look into a local trucking business (dump truck), local trucking, or even a buss driver. At least to start but plenty of driving gigs and OTR sucks the worse in an already shitty gig

Edit
A union road crew guy or city job would hire him pretty quickly if he has a CDL already and he'll make more plus have a life and be able to retire.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
OP go poke around on truckers report forum. I can't remember his name, but there's a guy on it that will be able to help.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
OP go poke around on truckers report forum. I can't remember his name, but there's a guy on it that will be able to help.
View Quote

Username Chinatown
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bighog03] [#22]
10 roads .   They move mail for  USPS.     Operating all over the country.    Not a bad job.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Not OTR, but find a lumber yard and go haul trusses. If he can pass a drug test and has two brain cells he should have people fighting over him.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Again

City job or road worker union job is were it's at. I drove trucks and had friends who got in union and city jobs. They had to get CDLs after the fact but they were buying houses when I was working at a factory job.

I'm self employed now but if I was 21 again I'd do that or go be a fire fighter.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:37:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Austin4130] [#25]
Call concrete and paving contractors, large glaziers, MEP contractors, etc. - we usually always had a need for CDL drivers doing various things, mostly local deliveries.

Leave early and home every night, even for cross-state deliveries.

Or city/local gov't, or hauling trash, could get on gov retirement system
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Call concrete and paving contractors, large glaziers, MEP contractors, etc. - we usually always had a need for CDL drivers doing various things, mostly local deliveries.

Leave early and home every night, even for cross-state deliveries.
View Quote

This wouldn't be my first choice but definitely would be one before OTR. He would get hired tomorrow most likely.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Lot's of areas seem to always need Ready-Mix Concrete drivers. It's not overly hard, I mean I did it for 6 months between engineering jobs. Hardest part for me was the traffic, since the company I worked for had 12 plants around the Houston, TX area. It did really help me learn different parts of Houston, and then I moved away.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Pack a bag and move to the oilfield.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Op have him contact Marvin windows in Warroad Mn they truck everywhere and pay is damn good
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#31]
Swift, Schneider, etc did him a favor not hiring him.  Those mega-fleets will suck the life out of you.

Find an LTL company or a local company that will hire without experience, get that experience, and then move on.

Find out what Southeast Toyota requires for driver applicants.  $100k+ career with a great company.  I wish I would have gotten into car hauling in my early twenties.  Sheesh.

Attachment Attached File

Edit:  Another route to take is the @Seabee_Mech route.  Hire on to a crane and rigging company and work your way into the crane seat or the oversize load seat.  Six figures, easy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By larkinmusic:

Username Chinatown
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By larkinmusic:

Username Chinatown

Yes thank you
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Lot of places in Alaska are looking for cdl drivers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#34]
At his age and experience level, most the big players will hire him on. Have him look at   Swift, Knight, U.S.express, etc...
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#35]
We had a kid leave the shop and use his CDL. Did everything from propane tank repos to LTL local stuff. He’s a tool guy now, went through a few places.

Knock on doors. Physical knock on the doors.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Caddys83:
21?

Op need to cut that umbilical cord and let learn what is real world life.
View Quote

Roblox pfp over here really saying that
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I would check around, lots of trucking companies have programs for new drivers.  TONS of trucking companies out there.  

Another option could be LTL.

Kudos to your son if he wants to drive OTR, it’s boring as fuck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

The OP is simply networking... not holding the kid's hand during the interview.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beardog30] [#39]
View Quote

What a stupid question.

This is what dad’s do for their son’s.

Sounds like this young man is doing what he can and dad is using his experience with networking to help his boy out.  

Have you been living under a rock?  This is how many people get their start.

Dad, I have no advice other than keep reaching out.  You never know what a friend of a friend can pull off when it comes to job networking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#40]
whatever you do have him stay away from hauling sheet metal spools.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#41]
What's involved with hazmat endorsements?  Have to imagine the oilfields are looking for drivers regularly if he's willing to relocate.

I've never heard anything good about those budget fleet operators like Swift etc.  Probably a good thing for your son.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#42]
LTL is going to want experience, like someone previously said, not a lot of freight in Florida.

Be glad he didn't go OTR.

City and towns might hire someone fresh out of school. In the mean time, have him get endorsements. HazMat would be number one, then doubles and tankers. He gets those endorsements a lot more jobs are available to him.

Good on you for helping your son..Does he owe the trucking school any money?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#43]
OP. Send him to the oilfield. Halliburton or Slumberger will hire him. They get an extra few bucks an hour for having a CDL.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Sent this to him.

I appreciate all helpful input.  

I don't understand this 'turn 18 and GTFO' attitude some of you have.  I won't let my kids out of the house until they can stand on their two feet. I don't want them to have to struggle the way I did.  I want better for them than what I had/have.

Anyway, please keep helpful comments coming.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:24:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: p3590] [#45]
I don't get the hate for OP here.  He's not bailing his kid out of jail after OD #87 and raising 3 crack-baby bastard grandkids for him.  

He's asking questions about an industry he's not familiar with and networking a little.  

It actually may be a leading indicator about the economy if places like Swift aren't hiring, so this is a topic of general interest as well.

ETA: I know nothing about the OTR industry in FL, but a pretty solid chunk of advice for anyone following a dream at 21 is to be adaptable and move.  LTL and some of the delivery jobs might make sense if unwilling to move significantly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Is he partial to location, willing to relocate, milk tankers in Michigan pay well and if he didn’t want to go home they’d run him until he wanted to fly home for a few weeks. We had guys that solely live in a truck and keep a car in the lot for when they want to travel around west Michigan
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Not sure about Florida, but around here every cement mixer I see has a 'We're Hiring' sign on it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#48]
The reason he is not getting offers is he is an unknown. No experience, no miles. Insurance is through the roof and employers are cautious. Any tri-axle (dump truck, cement truck) jobs, or day cab jobs so he can get his foot in the door? Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Some companies have a minimum hiring age.

AFAIK, UPS trains and hires drivers from within.

LTL driving jobs are good, if he doesn't mind working nights for linehaul. Pickup and delivery drivers work daytime hours but make less. XPO has been known to hire recent truck school graduates.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe not the greatest CDL job ever but I've done some work with various school districts in Central Florida and they are always hurting for bus drivers.
If nothing else it gets him a paycheck and experience while he looks for something better.
FWIW Most of the routes have an assistant who deals with the kids.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top