Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2024 1:38:49 AM EDT
I’ve been kicking around buying or building a plasma table for a while now. I’m a rank amateur when it comes to anything having to do with CNC controls. I have taken a couple of drafting classes over the years, but I’m guess that I’ll be re-learning whatever software I wind up using. I have a Prime Weld plasma cutter and an air compressor that’s probably too small but technically within spec to supply the cutter.

I’m seeing a ton of ads for Langmuir and Arc Droid. I’ve also looked at the JD’s Garage diy videos. Is there something else out there that I should be considering for an entry level plasma table? I'm not doing any production or anything large. I’m thinking 4’x4’ at biggest; something to mess around with in a home garage, make some parts, ornamental pieces and maybe a sign or two. It might turn into something more than that someday, but just hobby stuff for now. Assume my budget is less than “Call for Quote”.

I’d love to hear your suggestions and experiences, even with just cnc plasma in general. Talk me out of it, talk me into it, share videos, show your projects. I don’t know what I don’t know.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
plasmaCam has good software and has been around for a long time.  however they are pricey and a pain in the ass to work with.  there should be better options but at our shop we are stuck with it.  my ex bought a 1000w laser and it has been a total cluster fuck to get it running correctly.  get some software-operating system with a good track history and references or its just going to be a dumpster fire.  I hope someone has a current good direction on this as I am always looking.  we run the big hypertherm torches and I would recommend them when/if you upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Langmuir table a few years ago for a project at my buisness, I made alot of cool stuff but the coolness went out when the software I use went to $350 a year from free.
It has been sitting for 6 months now.
It really was fun to own and play with, if I was retired I would mess around with it again.....alit.
Langmuir is a great entry level table, the software program is much better now but I don't have time to relearn everything.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah! This is a thread I can get into.

A few years ago I built a plasma table. As big as I could to fit full sheets of steel.

It's a water table. The construction is easy peazy.

My total build cost before the plasma was about 3k

I loved the project and it still runs. I've made lots of things, and money, from it. It paid for itself the first time I used it...literally.

Plus you get to be the guy with a plasma table!

Here's my build 100% home made:

Attachment Attached File

For plasma I used the hyperther 65.  Back then it was an additional 3k. It's the most expensive shop tool I've ever purchased but welllllll worth it. Originally I started with a Chinese cutter from scamazon - do not do this!  Start with something you can be proud of and it will simplify things greatly.

With the changes in economy over the years I suspect the build would cost more now, but I'd for sure do it again.

Here are the major parts used:
Frame 2x2x1/8 square tubing.
Pan 5x12 sheet of 1/8 steel lined with 2.5x2.5 angle iron
Slats 2x1/8 flat
Rail guides: eBay from turkey
Assorted switches for homing
Cnc controller: ethernet smooth stepper
4 Drives: nema 23 eBay specials
Software: mach 4
Misc stuff like wire, cable management, electrical enclosure, computer etc...
Modeling software, and cam software: fusion 360 free
Plasma cutter hypertherm 65a

Questions? Ask!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
One thing of interest is that Lasers are coming down in price.

The table and mechanics stay the same. Just the cutting device is different. The same computer can run both plasma software and the laser software.

A 1000-1500 watt fiber laser can cut about the same thickness steel. But the fiber laser can also cut wood and plastics.

I would recommend a  protective curtain that is for the light wavelength the laser is. It would be cheaper and easier than a rigid enclosure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

The table and mechanics stay the same. Just the cutting device is different. The same computer can run both plasma software and the laser software.

A 1000-1500 watt fiber laser can cut about the same thickness steel. But the fiber laser can also cut wood and plastics.

I would recommend a  protective curtain that is for the light wavelength the laser is. It would be cheaper and easier than a rigid enclosure.
View Quote

What thickness of mild steel can the laser cut?

Is it as affordable as a plasma table set-up? (Seems unlikely)
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

View Quote

I have two desktop laser machines, a 40w C02 and a 20w diode.  They're cool for fine intricate work, but they are SO SLOW.  

Making business cards on aluminum blanks is agony.  We're taling over an hour per card. That's not good.

At my day job we build industrial machines and always have new lasers in house.  The new high end fiber stuff is awesome, but break out your 2nd mortgage.  The Keyence MDx system I half entertained was about 40 grand...and that's a fixed head laser too.

For all the benefits of laser, discounting the cost, there's also the fact that laser may require an assist gas depending on what it is you're cutting.  If you're going full on production laser is king, but it's expensive for the hobbyist.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a fiber laser to play with at home and it rips out business cards pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ggllggll:
Oh yeah! This is a thread I can get into.

A few years ago I built a plasma table. As big as I could to fit full sheets of steel.

It's a water table. The construction is easy peazy.

My total build cost before the plasma was about 3k

I loved the project and it still runs. I've made lots of things, and money, from it. It paid for itself the first time I used it...literally.

Plus you get to be the guy with a plasma table!

Here's my build 100% home made:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10799/20220109_142134_jpg-3152807.JPG

For plasma I used the hyperther 65.  Back then it was an additional 3k. It's the most expensive shop tool I've ever purchased but welllllll worth it. Originally I started with a Chinese cutter from scamazon - do not do this!  Start with something you can be proud of and it will simplify things greatly.

With the changes in economy over the years I suspect the build would cost more now, but I'd for sure do it again.

Here are the major parts used:
Frame 2x2x1/8 square tubing.
Pan 5x12 sheet of 1/8 steel lined with 2.5x2.5 angle iron
Slats 2x1/8 flat
Rail guides: eBay from turkey
Assorted switches for homing
Cnc controller: ethernet smooth stepper
4 Drives: nema 23 eBay specials
Software: mach 4
Misc stuff like wire, cable management, electrical enclosure, computer etc...
Modeling software, and cam software: fusion 360 free
Plasma cutter hypertherm 65a

Questions? Ask!
View Quote

That is amazing! This may be closer to my second setup. I’m in a 3 car garage right now, so space is limited. I’m also entirely inexperienced with CNC so I’m probably going to need a kit, or at least plans to start with.

I bought a plasma cutter before I even thought about a CNC table, so my current PrimeWeld will have to do for now.

Thanks for sharing your setup!
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By deerranger:
I bought a Langmuir table a few years ago for a project at my buisness, I made alot of cool stuff but the coolness went out when the software I use went to $350 a year from free.
It has been sitting for 6 months now.
It really was fun to own and play with, if I was retired I would mess around with it again.....alit.
Langmuir is a great entry level table, the software program is much better now but I don't have time to relearn everything.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413300/2928_jpg-3150791.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413300/2885_jpg-3150792.JPG
View Quote

A guy I follow on instagram just got a Langmuir. I’m leaning toward getting the 4’x4’ pro table. It’s good to see someone have success doing similar things that I want to do.

Can you use any software with the Langmuir table? Or are you just limited to what they provide?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Mach4, Ethernet Smoothstepper and a TMC 3in1 was the controls pkg I had the best luck with, should you decide to DIY.  Using a relay to isolate the probe circuit also seems to have helped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top