BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/18/2024 9:50:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cancard]
Anyone have any experience with these?  I’m thinking about getting one for my son.  They look like beautiful firearms, just not big on them produced in Turkey but I would imagine CZ has pretty tight QA.

22LR or 22WMR, I will need to decide.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-american/

Update:  I found a CZ 455 with a Leupold  VX Freedom 3-9x40 scope with Leupold scope rings for $550.  How’d I do?

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have the American but I do have two CZ rimfires. A 452 scout and a 455 lux in 22 mag

They are both very well made and excellent rifles.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:55:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy] [#2]
CZ, Tikka, and Bergara make the best bolt action rimfires in that price range, and all three are excellent.

Unless something big changed, the only CZs made in Turkey are shotguns. Their rifles and pistols are made in the Czech Republic.

ETA: I have a CZ 455 Trainer. It doesn't get out much because it lives in the back of the safe and it's a pretty long rifle, but it's well made, accurate, and I like it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reubjames:
I don't have the American but I do have two CZ rimfires. A 452 scout and a 455 lux in 22 mag

They are both very well made and excellent rifles.
View Quote

The Scout is a youth rifle, correct?  I see where a used one is posted online at a LGS.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My boy started competing with a 455 in the NRL .22 matches. Great rifles for the money. Extremely accurate once you find the ammo it likes.  The trigger does leave a bit to be desired but there are good aftermarket or even spring replacements.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:58:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#5]
I have the predecessor: the CZ452 American, and it's one of the best rimfire rifles I've ever known. I recommend them without hesitation.

Attachment Attached File

YMMV - but I seriously doubt it.

ETA: Mine was made in CZ, but I don't know if the newer ones all are.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cancard:

The Scout is a youth rifle, correct?  I see where a used one is posted online at a LGS.
View Quote

Yup the scout is a smaller youth model. I bought this one for my kids to learn on. It's a great size until they get big enough for a larger rifle. It's still easily shootable by an adult too and would make an awesome small game gun to carry on a hunt since it's so light and compact.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 452 with a threaded barrel.  Great little rifle.  I've eliminated a lot of vermin with it and a 22 suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BusterBrown:
I have a 452 with a threaded barrel.  Great little rifle.  I've eliminated a lot of vermin with it and a 22 suppressor.
View Quote

Oh yes, that's a good point. I've had both of mine threaded and they are a hoot with a suppressor. The little scout with some low noise ammo is staple gun quiet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 457 in 22Mag, its a fantastic rifle, great fit and finish. Shoots very nicely, I use it to murder woodchucks. I do wish I had gone with a 17, just for a flatter shooting round though. When I bought mine in 21 I didn't see any options anywhere for a threaded barrel, and thats really my only complaint, I'd like to be able to use my 22 can on this, and I may find one somewhere someday.

The gun shoots better than I can, I took the woodchuck pictured with it at what paced out to about 330 yards (third photo, at the woodline just below the crest of the ridge) It took one shot to give a rough estimate, then kentucky windage on target. I couldn't make that shot again if I tried, but I like shooting woodchucks, so I keep on trying.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought my son a 457 scout 22lr.  Excellent rifle.  fixed 4x Leupold, bipod and sling and whacks squirrels all day long.  It's a fantastic rifle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#11]
CZ makes great Rimfire rifles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Anyone have any experience with these?  I’m thinking about getting one for my son.  They look like beautiful firearms, just not big on them produced in Turkey but I would imagine CZ has pretty tight QA.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-american/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/IMG_4369-3191084.png
View Quote

Get it yesterday. These are heirloom-quality rifles at reasonable prices. I have one, I want another.

I got a 16" threaded barrel in .22 LR

And then get a can (or two)
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one in the past year, its awesome.   It likes Elay ammo the most so far.  

My son loves it
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

As for this, the answer is obviously: get both.

Really it depends on the purpose. Kid plinking and squirrel slaying: .22LR for sure. If you already have a bunch of .22s, then the WMR to mix things up is not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I can lob .22s at 100 yards and hit 10" steel with open irons, and I am not a good shot by most standards. Fun rifles. Make sure to get a threaded barrel because CZ almost never stocks replacement barrels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Yup the scout is a smaller youth model. I bought this one for my kids to learn on. It's a great size until they get big enough for a larger rifle. It's still easily shootable by an adult too and would make an awesome small game gun to carry on a hunt since it's so light and compact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just keep in mind, mine came with a single shot magazine.
5 and 10 round agazines are around 50 bucks a piece.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Got my sons the original cz scout rifle. Far more accurate than you think.
Good ammo and a decent scope and you will get a ragged hole.
They use a 12mm scope rail so you want cz rimfire specific rings.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 452 with a full Mannlicher stock. Best .22 ive ever owned. High quality.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DB0351:
When I bought mine in 21 I didn't see any options anywhere for a threaded barrel, and thats really my only complaint, I'd like to be able to use my 22 can on this, and I may find one somewhere someday.
View Quote

I sent both of my original barrels out for threading. You might consider that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#20]
We had a 452 and now have two 457s. An AT-ONE and a Pro Varmint.

They are excellent rifles. I’d buy a third in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a couple 452 Americans and they are great rifles, reasonably priced to all things considered
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#22]
My eldest daughter has a 452 scout and it is a laser.

I need to add one to my stable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't like the 457 for the same reasons I don't like the Anschutz 64, the 1904 Portuguese Mauser, and Mosin-Nagants.

The split rear ring bugs the fuck out of me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a left hand 452. It has hands down the best wood of any production rifle I have ever seen. Scheels manager held it for me because I bought so many left hand Model 70's from them.

To give you and idea how good. I own Dakota bolt action rifles with stock upgrades. The CZ not that good but it wood be the firsy upgrade on a Dakota.

The thing flat out shoots. Puts 5 shots of bulk Federal in a group @ 50 yards a pencil pushed through will make the hole bigger
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I have 3 cz452 rifles , best damn rimfires
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#26]
CZ452 Varmint with Leupold.  Gem-tech threaded the barrel.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Oh yes, that's a good point. I've had both of mine threaded and they are a hoot with a suppressor. The little scout with some low noise ammo is staple gun quiet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BusterBrown:

I agree completely.  When I want to impress someone, I load up some CCI quiet in the mag.  Almost everyone giggles the first time.  When I shoot vermin, I use standard velocity.  It's still pretty quiet, but I like the idea of having a little more energy when it hits.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#28]

I sent both of my original barrels out for threading. You might consider that.
View Quote

Where did you send yours for threading? I have a lefty that I've considered getting cut a bit shorter and threaded.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I love my 455. I have 22LR and 17 HMR barrels. I plan on getting a 457 youth model for my sun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By -Jonny-:
Where did you send yours for threading? I have a lefty that I've considered getting cut a bit shorter and threaded.
View Quote

@-Jonny-
I sent mine to Morgan at Class 3 Machining. I've had him do a half dozen or so barrels for various rifles. Always good quality work. I haven't sent one to him in a few years though so I'm not sure what his current turnaround times are but he used to get them back to me in 7-10 days and was reasonably priced.

https://class3machining.com/
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

You can buy the stocks from CZ, so you can get the scout (threaded barrel with nice iron sights) and replace the stock if he wants a bigger one.  
The scout stock is small, but not awkward for an adult to shoot.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#32]

@-Jonny-
I sent mine to Morgan at Class 3 Machining. I've had him do a half dozen or so barrels for various rifles. Always good quality work. I haven't sent one to him in a few years though so I'm not sure what his current turnaround times are but he used to get them back to me in 7-10 days and was reasonably priced.

https://class3machining.com/
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:48:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MateFrio] [#33]
I have a CZ 453 American in 17hmr.  A bit of a unicorn.  Great rifle.

Set trigger is nice.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#34]
452 American in 17hmr. Scope is now a 14 power Mueller. The thing shoots like a laser as long as the wind is not too bad. One of the last with high gloss bluing and wood. I'd like to get a CZ in 7.62x39, but the last time I checked, they were getting pricey.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By toby1:
452 American in 17hmr. Scope is now a 14 power Mueller. The thing shoots like a laser as long as the wind is not too bad. One of the last with high gloss bluing and wood. I'd like to get a CZ in 7.62x39, but the last time I checked, they were getting pricey.
https://i.imgur.com/yJhA7SAl.jpg
View Quote

One of the little compact 527 mini-mausers in 7.62x39 would be fun for sure. One of my very good friends had one and his widow still has it. When he passed away, I helped her inventory his firearms and told her if she ever decided to part with it, I'd gladly pay her a premium for it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#36]
CZ 455 American here. I put a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 (Leupold turned down the parallax for me) on it, and can pop golf balls at 100 yards all day with CCI 40gr mini mag. They're beautiful little rifles, highly recommended.

They've upgraded the 457 in a couple of areas, and I really want one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:20:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green_Canoe] [#37]
I just bought that exact rifle two weeks ago.  I mounted a Leupold 2-7X rimfire in Talley rings on it. I bought it be an accurate but CHEAP to shoot stand in for my hunting rifle.  Unfortunately, I've been too busy with other things to get out and shoot.  Maybe this weekend...

Just handling the rifle I'm very satisfied.  The fit and finish are good and all the functions are smooth.  Without the input from shooting it, I'd buy another...

Oh... It's not made in Turkey.  It's made in Czechoslovakia.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By FALex:
My boy started competing with a 455 in the NRL .22 matches. Great rifles for the money. Extremely accurate once you find the ammo it likes.  The trigger does leave a bit to be desired but there are good aftermarket or even spring replacements.
View Quote

That reminds me. I've had mine so long that I forgot I upgraded the trigger. I bought it more than a decade ago, so the details are hazy. I wasn't shopping for this specific gun, just looking for a more accurate .22LR to have fun with than my rattly old 10/22. My LGS guy recommended it. I didn't know much about it, and when I went looking online for more info, someone on a forum recommended the trigger upgrade and linked the kit, so it's had the trigger upgrade since I've had it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:
I just bought that exact rifle two weeks ago.  I mounted a Leupold 2-7X rimfire in Talley rings on it. I bought it be an accurate but CHEAP to shoot stand in for my hunting rifle.  Unfortunately, I've been too busy with other things to get out and shoot.  Maybe this weekend...

Just handling the rifle I'm very satisfied.  The fit and finish are good and all the functions are smooth.  Without the input from shooting it, I'd buy another...

Oh... It's not made in Turkey.  It's made in Czechoslovakia.
View Quote

It’s a sexy rifle for sure.  The responses here have convinced me to Fo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#40]

I have 2 CZ’s. I’d buy another in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#41]
It’s pretty much either these or Tikka t1x. After that you get into real big money with anchutz or begara or some other rem700 based 22lr action (but if you know about those you have a different use case in mind.

But I’d go with cz over tikka because:
1) longer history (they’ve been making a 22lr bolt at cz/brno for decades)
2) better mags (bombproof reliable, again decades of proven)
3) caliber and barrel swaps.  Get the 22 now you can always get or convert the magnum later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:59:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#42]
Man now I really want another CZ rifle.

Love the walnut stocks, the chonky action, the look and feel of them. Feels modern yet still firmly rooted in the past. The kind of rifle you can pass down to your grandkids.
And they are great for ANY shooter from 8 to 90, great with a can, great for plinking.

It’s a sexy rifle for sure.  The responses here have convinced me to Fo.
View Quote

Do it, you will have 0 regrets.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a 452 in .17 HMR, it is an absolute tack driver.  It looks like it's been dragged behind a truck, as I have carried it on my Gator in all weather imaginable for close to 20 years, but still shoots well.  My wife has a CZ Scout in .22 LR she has won a lot of matches with.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Get it, CZs are great
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#45]
I have the at one version, 24” barrel.  Leupold 4-12x50 on it.

Small Steel plate at 100 yards is boring and 100% repeatable every shot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Update in OP.

You guys cost me money

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Cz makes an excellent rifle . I have a rimfire and a center-fire . They are well made and accurate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#48]
A CZ rimfire is never a bad choice.

Like a 10/22, everybody should have one around the house.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Got my sons the original cz scout rifle. Far more accurate than you think.
Good ammo and a decent scope and you will get a ragged hole.
They use a 12mm scope rail so you want cz rimfire specific rings.
View Quote

They are 11mm
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Pick up a petes pillars firing pin, the factory ones flake the coating off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top