Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2024 6:15:54 PM EDT
Please pardon the indelicate question... I figure there should be some experts here.  

I'm doing some thinking about historical incident, and I have a relevant forensics question.

Can a decomposing human body "spontaneously" rupture the abdominal cavity, evacuating the organs (intestines)?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
In the decomposition stage, when bloating occurs, if gases have no way to escape, yes rupture could occur. Explosion might not be the best word, but things can burst open and release offal and fluids.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:
In the decomposition stage, when bloating occurs, if gases have no way to escape, yes rupture could occur. Explosion might not be the best word, but things can burst open and release offal and fluids.

View Quote
Burt Open is what I'd call it.  I've seen animal carcass do it more than once.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Deer and coon in the heat. 2 legs pointed up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
They'll pop, not explode
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Can happen to whales, too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Not as in "boom" but they do burst.  The bonus is that most of what is expelled is decomposed organs in a thick fluid that sticks to everything and a smell that NEVER goes away.

Be very careful not to walk on the squishy carpet unless you want to buy new shoes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I think “rupture” is a better term.

The decomposition cause gas to build up and at some point the skin will tear and release the pressure… its not a huge “blow stuff all over the lawn” kind of thing. Mostly just some goo will flow out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Yuk thread
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you.  That was enlightening.

If you are curious what this was about, I was watching an online debate:

Peter J Williams vs Bart Ehrman • The story of Jesus: Are the Gospels historically reliable?
Peter J Williams vs Bart Ehrman • The story of Jesus: Are the Gospels historically reliable?

Now, the gospels say Judas hung himself; Acts says he fell headlong and burst open, and his intestines spilled out.

Bart Ehrman said these two accounts are irreconcilable. (43:10 in the video)

Peter Williams suggested that Judas' body bloated up while he was hanging dead, and later fell, or was cut down and then burst open when his dead body hit the ground.

I wanted to know if Peter's scenario was reasonable, and figured there would be more than a few people here that could help.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Not as in "boom" but they do burst.  The bonus is that most of what is expelled is decomposed organs in a thick fluid that sticks to everything and a smell that NEVER goes away.

Be very careful not to walk on the squishy carpet unless you want to buy new shoes.
View Quote

Why is it that I knew without hesitation that at least one person here has experienced this
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 12milesout:
Can happen to whales, too.
View Quote

Someone actually caught it on video.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 12milesout:

Someone actually caught it on video.
View Quote

No doubt, there was an odor associated with that event.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TacticalConcepts:

few things to have context - if the rope is long enough, the body can separate from the head (for immediate effect). If left long enough, the neck can stretch and eventually the body will separate from the neck (if not immediate). For the body to bloat, the neck would be at the stretch stage and would take 3-5 days or longer depending on weather conditions. If the height is high enough, and the body separates from the head, and falls onto jagged enough surfaces (rocks) it can split open and spill the contents.
View Quote

Yeah, seems plausible to me.  If it's quite hot and the gases can't get out I've seen some animals that were meat balloons before.  Drop them onto some rocks and I'd not be surprised to see something rupture.  Hell sometimes the stuff just starts pushing it's way through kinda inside-out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I've seen first hand what happens when a 400lb person dies in a FEMA travel trailer, and remains undiscovered for about 2 months during a Louisiana summer ....

I don't know if she popped or burst before what was left melted, but can assure you it weren't pretty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top