Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2023 7:43:54 PM EDT
Looking to build a coffee table (not really a wood worker so it's something super basic) using these plans but would like to resize it to better fit my couch.  Could anyone help me with how to get the right amount supplies and help make the right cuts?

I would like to make it 18" tall by 56" long. Same width.

https://cherishedbliss.com/industrial-farmhouse-coffee-table-free-plans/

Sorry if this sounds super newb but honestly didn't know how else to phrase this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Build two.  The first one is to learn how, the second will be nicer and for the house.
View Quote

This man is a goddamned genius.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Build two.  The first one is to learn how, the second will be nicer and for the house.

That he is. The second one will look like it was built by someone else.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
ProTip:  First attempts make FANTASTIC garage furniture. Or hunt camp furniture. Or bonfire fuel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Lol

Building tip -

Don't attempt to make the top boards to the finished length (auto correct stuck "lol length" in there; prescient or scary?), or even exactly the same length.

Get the top glued up, put the top on the base, mark the trim length at both ends, then trim to length.  This way the top will fit and the ends will be straight.

View Quote

I like that tip a lot and wouldn’t have thought of it.

So does adding the extra size change the amount of lumber I need to buy?  I’m thinking possibly I will need to add a couple more boards to the list to account if the increased size.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 10:58:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SlowTA] [#7]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Lol

Building tip -

Don't attempt to make the top boards to the finished length (auto correct stuck "lol length" in there; prescient or scary?), or even exactly the same length.

Get the top glued up, put the top on the base, mark the trim length at both ends, then trim to length.  This way the top will fit and the ends will be straight.

View Quote

Double tap.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#8]
ProTip:  First attempts make FANTASTIC garage furniture. Or hunt camp furniture. Or bonfire fuel.
View Quote
I have found the same thing.  My second attempt is always better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top