Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2024 11:21:44 PM EDT
I made these racks to move my tooling a bit closer to my mill.... can't get much closer than this.

Attachment Attached File

The top rack is mostly endmill holders.

The second rack is mostly collet chucks and carbide end and face mills. My collet chucks are right next to the vise I use to torque the collet nuts properly. I made a fixture for the vise to make it easy.

Drill bits are directly behind the new racks in Hout organizers on a shelf mounted on the wall.

The endmills and inserts are in the drawers behind the mill on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me see if I have this correct...

Little tools - check.

Big tools - check.

Very nice...

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Made a magnetic rack for my boring heads. The side of the mill isn't flat enough for magnets to work so I stuck it on the side of my endmill and insert drawers. Just enough room in there. Lol!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I like it!

I love how softly the tools drop into the wood rack on the mill. I opened up a permanent spot for the drill chuck so I can drop it in anytime.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to oil that wood heavily and often. I've seen wooden racks rust tooling in short order, it holds a lot of moisture.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
You need to oil that wood heavily and often. I've seen wooden racks rust tooling in short order, it holds a lot of moisture.
View Quote

Already soaked it in Starrett M1. I'll soak it every month until it darkens a bit. I've got tools in wood for years with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it though in my shop those things would be trashed with oil and chips by the time I need to use them. We have a semi similar setup for metric collets at work. Any time I need a metric collets I have to spend the next 10 minutes soaking and scrubbing it to get all the crap off before I can use it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
I like it though in my shop those things would be trashed with oil and chips by the time I need to use them. We have a semi similar setup for metric collets at work. Any time I need a metric collets I have to spend the next 10 minutes soaking and scrubbing it to get all the crap off before I can use it.
View Quote

I tend to conserve oil a bit when drilling. I don't make huge messes. I do often spray and wipe down a tool before use but I'm removing light oil and dirt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

I tend to conserve oil a bit when drilling. I don't make huge messes. I do often spray and wipe down a tool before use but I'm removing light oil and dirt.
View Quote

Sometimes I go ham on the oil. It helps quite a bit keeping tiny endmills alive. Crank it up and flood it with oil.

I don't have my coolant set up yet. I'm sure that will make an epic mess too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm no where near as organized.  But mine are close at hand, to both mills.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top