Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cavedog:
More Gumball

Leaving New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TErn1G9tNxg
View Quote
My Dad and I saw it in the theater when it came out. The Corvette breaking in half was the high water mark of comedy for me for many years thereafter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The Chocolate Monk?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:
The race is actually called the Gumball 3000.
View Quote
Brock Yates begs to differ with you.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I like reading and watching stories about more than I’d enjoy trying it. One of the cool stories was the guy who outran his credit card fraud algorithm.

I wonder if the Covid runs will ever be beaten. That was a once in a lifetime situation maybe longer. Even if we experience another even that drops traffic the speeds required are so high it’s dicey. Isn’t much room for huge improvements in the vehicles or the methods but I am sure people are dreaming and scheming as we speak.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I fantasize about a Cannonball run from the Bay Area to LA. Shut down I5 and do like the Autobahn.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Full title (as I understand it) is the Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By runcible:
Because you're small. Small. S-M-all. Now get out here, before I stuff those rosary bleeds up your nose.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By runcible:
Originally Posted By FGracing:
Why’d he call me shortie?
Because you're small. Small. S-M-all. Now get out here, before I stuff those rosary bleeds up your nose.

@runcible - These bleeds?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I like reading and watching stories about more than I’d enjoy trying it. One of the cool stories was the guy who outran his credit card fraud algorithm.

I wonder if the Covid runs will ever be beaten. That was a once in a lifetime situation maybe longer. Even if we experience another even that drops traffic the speeds required are so high it’s dicey. Isn’t much room for huge improvements in the vehicles or the methods but I am sure people are dreaming and scheming as we speak.
View Quote

With all the youtubers buying Blackhawks...

Drive a couple miles to airfield, sling load it to the west coast and drive out of the airport!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Drive a couple miles to airfield, sling load it to the west coast and drive out of the airport!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I like reading and watching stories about more than I'd enjoy trying it. One of the cool stories was the guy who outran his credit card fraud algorithm.

I wonder if the Covid runs will ever be beaten. That was a once in a lifetime situation maybe longer. Even if we experience another even that drops traffic the speeds required are so high it's dicey. Isn't much room for huge improvements in the vehicles or the methods but I am sure people are dreaming and scheming as we speak.

What about all of your supporting evidence?  The GPS logs and video among other things?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the one with Gary Bussey hanging out the window with the heater on to help keep the engine from over heating?

If you watch some of those stories, 3 to 4 guys in a car, one guy drives, one guy navigates, spots, handles the radio and radar detector, sometimes even checks for airplane transponders for overhead tracking and one guy sleeps. Sometimes, they coordinate with people in other cities, even going so far as to have decoy cars.

Then to do it right, the trunk is filled with fuel cells, so there's only one fuel stop. They stop at the appropriate pump so they can fill from two pumps at the same time, one guys fills the main, one guy fills the aux, 3rd guys goes to take a piss and grab food, then swap off with the other two guys, so they can go in and pee or whatever.

I'm sure there's lots of pissing in bottles, farting in the car and constipation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
What's the one with Gary Bussey hanging out the window with the heater on to help keep the engine from over heating?
View Quote
Gumball Rally. A very young Gary Bussey.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
I liked The Gumball Rally more.
View Quote

Yes, Gumball Rally is a much better movie.  Much better car scenes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DaveSpud:

Yes, Gumball Rally is a much better movie.  Much better car scenes.
View Quote
And, from what I understand, somewhat more accurate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:04:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: centrarchidae] [#15]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

i remember two things specifically from that movie

View Quote

Greetings, fellow Sally Fields' Breasts enthusiast.

During the 87 seconds of the movie that I wasn't fixated on her pointanging around with a bunch of showfa...er, her acting...um, assets, it was all Jackie Gleason. I didn't care about the cars.

ETA, wrong movie about women poontanging around with showfags and cars. Disregard my last.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By joemama74:

If you watch some of those stories, 3 to 4 guys in a car, one guy drives, one guy navigates, spots, handles the radio and radar detector, sometimes even checks for airplane transponders for overhead tracking and one guy sleeps. Sometimes, they coordinate with people in other cities, even going so far as to have decoy cars.

Then to do it right, the trunk is filled with fuel cells, so there's only one fuel stop. They stop at the appropriate pump so they can fill from two pumps at the same time, one guys fills the main, one guy fills the aux, 3rd guys goes to take a piss and grab food, then swap off with the other two guys, so they can go in and pee or whatever.

I'm sure there's lots of pissing in bottles, farting in the car and constipation.
View Quote

I've seriously contemplated underway replenishment.
Pull a pickup with a transfer tank along side at 70mph and refuel on the go.
Not anymore dangerous than some of the other things they do.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:

I've seriously contemplated underway replenishment.
Pull a pickup with a transfer tank along side at 70mph and refuel on the go.
Not anymore dangerous than some of the other things they do.
View Quote

The need for speed did a hot refuel.  Never seen a mustang with the fuel door on the passenger side.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Collins Bros. Jeeps and Gas Monkey Garage.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Extorris:
The Chocolate Monk?
View Quote

Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr were great, drunk Priest in a red Ferrari.   A time when people didn't get so offended.

The Cannonball Run - Closed Road
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#21]
A  debadged Charger Hellcat with push bumper and a couple big antennas would be the perfect cannonball car.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Can’t believe no one has posted

“ I love Tree’s “ !

Farrah Fawcett and the Trees - Cannonball
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
A  debadged Charger Hellcat with push bumper and a couple big antennas would be the perfect cannonball car.
View Quote
Would it?   I know it's quick, but how well is it going to deal w/ 100+ MPH speeds on the highway for a day?   I've heard multiple times it's typically some euro sedan they use for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
I liked The Gumball Rally more.
View Quote
Heck yeah!  I saw that in the theater when it first came out.  "The first rule of Italian driving,....what's behind me doesn't count"! lol

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:

Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr were great, drunk Priest in a red Ferrari.   A time when people didn't get so offended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THzHuf3I1tw
View Quote

Oh snap, I forgot that line. I think my parents took me to the theater to see that movie when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
Would it?   I know it's quick, but how well is it going to deal w/ 100+ MPH speeds on the highway for a day?   I've heard multiple times it's typically some euro sedan they use for a reason.
View Quote

say you're probably right, maybe a supercharged or turbo isnt the best option.

I'm doing Charlotte to Orlando tomorrow morning in my Challenger Scat Pack, should be fun
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
tow mater.. susan anton and catherine bach .. if an only if..

Cannonball Run II - Susan Anton, Catherine Bach in 0×1 (1984's) | Movies HD

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#28]
So good.  Love that movie.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Cannonball Run (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top