Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2024 9:46:53 PM EDT
I own a Precision Matthew's 1030V lathe. Generally not a great machine....

I decided to try carriage drilling so I bought a mt2 tool post holder to utilize the mt2 tapers I bought to quick change in my tail stock.

I'm going to try and do a better video tomorrow. One hand videos are not easy.

I'm super pleased. I really didn't expect it to do so well. The 1/4 pilot drill took more pressure than the 1/2.

I don't intend to abuse the new found capability but will sure make life easier.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stiles1410] [#1]
I thought PM are supposed to be top of the line hobby machines?

I have a jet 9x20 but I’m just learning

I tried some drilling a couple weeks ago also but my tailstock must be slightly off center as my hole was not perfectly centered.

Did you use a center drill first?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stiles1410:

I have a jet 9x20 but I’m just learning

I tried some drilling a couple weeks ago also but my tailstock must be slightly off center as my hole was not perfectly centered.

Did you use a center drill first?
View Quote

I spot drilled and pilot drilled with a 1/4" drill. That part of the video was pretty crappy so I erased it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Stiles1410:
View Quote

Top of the line in the budget import class of machines, yes. Top of the line out of all machines? Not anywhere close to even the middle, let alone top. If I had to rank a PM against all lathes new, old, domestic, & foreign I would put them somewhere around the 12th percentile.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking of setting something like this up, now that I have a DRO on my lathe.  How did you go about finding the center position for the cross slide?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
What was the carriage feed?

View Quote

0.0025" per revolution
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
I was thinking of setting something like this up, now that I have a DRO on my lathe.  How did you go about finding the center position for the cross slide?
View Quote

Top facing DTI in the chuck after I dialed in the face of the tool holder.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:11:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#8]
I did this video this morning. 1 1/8" hot roll steel. The hole will fit a 0.501" pin but 0.502" won't start.

Carrige Drilling on PM1030V

You can see the advantage to using a mt2 holder over a straight shank and clamp holder.

Attachment Attached File

Surface finish is pretty okay for a drill.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The quick tool changes are awesome....
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#10]
What I've occasionally needed is a powered version of the tool post chuck holder.  There have been instances where I've needed to drill and tap a hole pattern in a long rotor shaft after doing a stub shaft repair.  I've solved the problem by making a hole drilling guide and then hand tapping.  But, a powered drill on the lathe would make things easier and faster.

However, the lathes I use are much much larger.  The smallest swing is a 16" x 128" Monarch.  The shortest distance between centers lathe is a 20" x 48" Monarch.  Both of these are 1951 vintage.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
What I've occasionally needed is a powered version of the tool post chuck holder.  There have been instances where I've needed to drill and tap a hole pattern in a long rotor shaft after doing a stub shaft repair.  I've solved the problem by making a hole drilling guide and then hand tapping.  But, a powered drill on the lathe would make things easier and faster.

However, the lathes I use are much much larger.  The smallest swing is a 16" x 128" Monarch.  The shortest distance between centers lathe is a 20" x 48" Monarch.  Both of these are 1951 vintage.
View Quote

I used to sink impressions in dies for 4,000 and 6,000 ton forging presses. The smallest had around an 18" chuck. The big Poreba had 3 ft chuck. The biggest lathe could have spun a van.....lol. They never used it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
*snip

View Quote

Same.  I will make one before long.  I wish I understood 1/2 of what this guy says.  But I love his projects.  

????????????? ??????? ??????? ?????
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]
If you had told me my lathe could pull this off I'd have said you were nuts...

PM1030V carriage drilling pt 2
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Everyday hobby us machinists push our tools and skills to their limits.  Sometimes we even go a bit beyond.  But how else would we know just what we CAN do ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AFCarbon15:
Everyday hobby us machinists push our tools and skills to their limits.  Sometimes we even go a bit beyond.  But how else would we know just what we CAN do ?
View Quote

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: batmanacw] [#16]
I really like these mt2 to jt3 adapters for making drill holders. They cost less than $12 and are less than half the cost of an endmill holder.

Attachment Attached File

They drill fine. I've been drilling then boring and reaming to size just to keep things aligned. I've got another adapter coming to drill for no 3 center drills. I've already made one for a no 4 center drill and 1/4" and 5/16" drills.

I used 10/32 set screws. I can switch to 1/4-20 if needed. It seems to work fine so far. I put a small flat on the drill bit to help drive.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw Abom using friction fit tool holders other day. They use an induction heater to heat the end of the holder and the tool slides right in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:47:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#18]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
I saw Abom using friction fit tool holders other day. They use an induction heater to heat the end of the holder and the tool slides right in.
View Quote
AKA- shrink fit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
AKA- shrink fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
AKA- shrink fit.

I had considered it but it's really overkill for my center drills and a couple pilot drills. I'm not running carbide drills at high rpm.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

I had considered it but it's really overkill for my center drills and a couple pilot drills. I'm not running carbide drills at high rpm.
View All Quotes
AKA- shrink fit.

I don't even know what tool holder you'd buy.  I don't think shrink fit MT2 is an OTS component.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't even know what tool holder you'd buy.  I don't think shrink fit MT2 is an OTS component.
View All Quotes
AKA- shrink fit.

If I had an induction heater I could have reamed my mt2 jt3 adapters 0.001"  undersized and shrunk in the bits, but I see no real advantage when the drill bits aren't that accurate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a generic ebay CXA size mt3 tool holder. Unfortunately they didn't design it well. I had to modify it for the tang to stick out enough to tap it with a brass hammer to pop out the taper.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Lots of tools to use in it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#23]
I drill from the carriage almost more than I use the tailstock.

I recently had to drill 6" deep in aluminum. It would have been mind numbing to do it with tailstock.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top