Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2022 12:38:41 PM EDT
So I’m finally settled into East TN and have had a little more time to get back on the road.
Lately I’ve have been riding some pretty rural/secluded areas and would like some recommendations on carrying a handgun, current load out is Pepper spray and pocket knife.
My EDC is a 43x but will likely get something smaller for the bike.

How do you carry when cycling?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Shield iwb. But I'm not a long distance cyclist. Mountain bike from 1993.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FBATFE:
So I’m finally settled into East TN and have had a little more time to get back on the road.
Lately I’ve have been riding some pretty rural/secluded areas and would like some recommendations on carrying a handgun, current load out is Pepper spray and pocket knife.
My EDC is a 43x but will likely get something smaller for the bike.

How do you carry when cycling?
View Quote

The 43 is not small enough?  Get a 42 with +p loads then

Mine is a sig 238 with +p’s —-    Carried on one of the camelback straps
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:03:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Metro6] [#3]
I bike almost daily- road or mountain. I carry a G19 in a hill people gear chest pack. I tried Fanny packs rotated to the rear an didn’t care for it. The Hill people gear packs make carrying easier. I thought I’d transition to my 43 or 43x, but don’t feel a difference, so kept carrying the G19

The packs also allow for other gear- OC, light, wallet….
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
For several years all I did was road riding, rural, chip seal county roads, never considered carrying, or felt I should have.

most of my riding the last few years has been on the mountain bike. only once did I wish I had been carrying.  Just a few weeks back, several miles back behind a locked timber gate, two guys in a beatup hooptie Passport/Rodeo.  I would have lost in that situation.  I have a G42, should have had it in my camelbak, I am looking at the Kenai holster with a shell for the 42 and 19.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Metro6:
I bike almost daily- road or mountain. I carry a G19 in a hill people gear chest pack. I tried Fanny packs rotated to the rear an didn’t care for it. The Hill people gear packs make carrying easier. I thought I’d transition to my 43 or 43x, but don’t feel a difference, so kept carrying the G19

The packs also allow for other gear- OC, light, wallet….
View Quote

This but with a G48
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Hill People gear Runners Kit Bag

Works great for biking, four wheeling etc
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I've carried my LC9 in the back pocket of one of my riding jerseys. Not fast to get to by any stretch of the means.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By everready73:
I use a Hill People gear Runners Kit Bag

Works great for biking, four wheeling etc
View Quote

This. Plenty enough to carry a pistol, phone, wallet, keys, small multi tool.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
In state?
Anything I want.
Maybe a suppresed SBR.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Same as not on the bike - Gen 5 26 in a pocket holster in the jeans.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear LAPG Nomad shorts over my spandex when road riding. They fit pretty tight. Kydex OWB with full size 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't usually carry when riding, but when it looks sketchy I pack in a Hill People Gear chest rig.

It works great for backpacking as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry a concealed handgun (Liscensed) and an assortment of multitools along with my cell phone
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Being in Montana a G20 in a Kenai is my choice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I carry a j frame with 357 in a Topeak toploader, with a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
KelTech P3AT in the DeSantis holster in the jersey pocket. No one has any idea that I'm carrying.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Well...  I had an incident yesterday where totally fucked traffic on I-30 EB in DFW had drivers doing insanely stupid shit that was getting them exactly no where.  Service roads were pooched, as were all surface roads coming and going from the interstate.  It was mayhem.

As a result, I was riding with traffic in the grass next to the road trying to cross over the interstate when I almost got hit by a car driving the wrong way - half in the grass and half on the road.  I swerved to the right and the guy came to a stop.  I'm, "what the fuck, dude?"  Young dude starts talking shit while I'm trying to get my bike back under me and clipped back into one pedal.  

Then I noticed the dude starts reaching under the front seat.  He's slow or what he's looking for has way slid back under the seat, so I just start riding the direction I was headed.  But I took advantage of being on a mountain bike and went where he couldn't follow me.  At least not in a Charger.

I'm looking hard at these Hill People bags.  I may also get a helmet cam like the motorcycle guys are using.  I would have enjoyed making this guy internet famous.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I prefer a clean and lubed Beretta 21A when cycling. Not ideal but better than nothing. My father has a LCP2 in .22LR that is way lighter and equally sized. I may pick one up shortly.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a P365X Macro.  It's a nice shooter.  Bought the Hill People Gear Snubby Runner kit bag.  It fits nicely with my Camelback, and the Sig fits in the pack with an RMR.  Does not print.   I've carried it on 5 rides.

I still need to get out and try drawing from the bag.   But even with no practice,  I'm sure that I'm faster than the twat who was driving the Dodge.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:  I picked up a P365X Macro.  It's a nice shooter.  Bought the Hill People Gear Snubby Runner kit bag.  It fits nicely with my Camelback, and the Sig fits in the pack with an RMR.  Does not print.   I've carried it on 5 rides.

I still need to get out and try drawing from the bag.   But even with no practice,  I'm sure that I'm faster than the twat who was driving the Dodge.
View Quote

There's an aftermarket mag block for the Ruger carbine that takes SIG 365 mags.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
There's an aftermarket mag block for the Ruger carbine that takes SIG 365 mags.
View Quote

Curious.  Not that I've got a Ruger Carbine or am loaded with 365 mags....  yet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I rock either an old school AMT backup .45 or a KAHR .45 in a frame mounted holster inside a small bike mounted tool bag.  Part of my retention scheme is BIG magnets, so the extra mass of steel works in my favor.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I carry a G43x in a bontrager race pack. In the center, there’s a small water bottle pocket. I use a blade tech micro iwb. Fits nicely in that center pocket. Jersey goes over the whole thing. It prints while I’m on my drops, but I don’t even know it’s there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
If I'm wearing a belt then a regular holster on said belt. If I'm wearing athletic shorts then a 5.11 waist pack- G48 in the main section, keys, wallet and SAK in the front zipper. I actually bought this because it'll fit a big handgun but I don't have a good setup for my 17's yet. I like it and wear it almost daily in the summer. It has molle on the front so I can clip my keys and my shades/eyepro when I switch from one to the other as I do a lot of evening and night rides.

The Spiritus Fanny Pack looks like a good option here as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
HK MK23 in a shoulder holster makes a point…
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Kahr PM9 in a Galco hip pack, every ride.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
HK MK23 in a shoulder holster makes a point…
View Quote

Suppressed?
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#29]
S&W .38 in a fanny pack.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:07:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigohio] [#30]
I switched to a LH IWB, even through I'm RH.  It makes it available for a RH draw from the small of my back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I got this at Costco and it works pretty well.

Lole Unisex Belt Bag
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I usually have pepper spray, occasionally a S&W 380 if I think I’ll run into a arfcom truck nut bro that wants to run over me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Years ago on bikeforums.net, there was a Chicago (or some other sketchy area) thread asking if people "were scared of getting bike-jacked for their $5K+ bikes" or whatever when traversing those locales.

I simply replied "Not if I'm armed".

My response was quickly memory holed and I got the following warning via PM:  I deleted your post in "Bike jacking" regarding riding armed. Gun talk is a sensitive topic around here and we prefer to omit it from the forums as many users get quite stirred up. This certainly isn't worth an infraction or even a formal "yellow" warning, I just wanted to let you know and kindly ask to refrain from discussing firearms on the boards. LMK if you have any questions.

Many Thanks,
Tmonk, a forum mod.

I obviously did mean firearms but never said "gun" or anything.  I could have meant those spiked sticks I've seen chicks jogging with, but the mod assumed and then censored me by default.  Fuck that board.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:54:11 AM EDT
[#34]
HPG chest rig. 365xl juuust fits in the stubby size with an optic, 43x should be similar.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#35]
suspension E-bike.  I'm old and my knees are shit. We ride mountain roads, mostly gravel or dirt.  Carry a p365 in a Tier1 Echo. fits nicely on the hip, iwb, and being bent forward riding, there is not rubbing against the stippling.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

Curious.  Not that I've got a Ruger Carbine or am loaded with 365 mags....  yet.
View Quote

Daughter has Ruger carbine as her bump in the night gun.  it's decent.  But an FYI, it doesn't feed when it's upside down.  Design flaw in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WoodChuckDad:
 But an FYI, it doesn't feed when it's upside down.  Design flaw in my opinion.
View Quote

OK...  that's weird as....  well, it's really weird.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WoodChuckDad:   But an FYI, it doesn't feed when it's upside down.  Design flaw in my opinion.

There was a bullpup kit for pump shotguns that wouldn't work when upside down, IIRC.

We need moar guns to work upside down.  BREN all the things!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top