Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2023 2:10:19 PM EDT
Hi fellow cycling enthusiast,

So I figure since I do put tons of miles on I keep adding nuggets of real world knowledge with cycling.

For years I used Rock-n-Roll Gold for my chain to lube and with great success.  I would normally get about 5k miles of usage before the chain would wear out at .5% (time to replace).  Sure you can go to .75% but you risk wearing out your rear cog and chainring.   Chains are not expensive (well most) so change them out.  Oh and chains don't "stretch" they wear on the roll pins which adds length to the chain.

The real trick to extend the overall life of a chain is to keep it clean and lube.  The issue with Rock-n-Roll gold lube is that is it a wet lube (oil base) so over time any road grit will stick to the chain to work into the pins of the chain and start the wearing process quickly.  So over the years I would clean my chain almost every ride to get a good life out of it.   The other issue with going with a wet lube like this is if you touch the chain you get the black marks on whatever touched it...hands, clothes, leg....anything which sucks.

So I moved to doing chain waxing for many reasons.  First off in many reports waxed chain has the lowest friction (more watts, and longer life chain).  Secondly when you touch a waxed chain you 99% of the time don't get the black marks.  Third is with dirty roads, trails and such less grit will stick to the chain..... Lastly after you set it up...it is about the same price.

What I use is Runaway Bike Hot Tub (search it on amazon) with is a small plastic tub with wax you can use with a pot of boiling water.   Then just add more wax to it as you need.  With a very clean zero oil chain (I use an ultrasonic cleaner) you do a 10 minute soaking of the chain in the wax.  After that let it cool and install on the bike.  Now with this you should have a quick link that is reusable to make it super easy.  I do this about every 500-800 miles and between that I use a water base wax lube such as Squirt which will keep it going without the wet lube issues.

As of now with my chain on my bike I am over 5k miles on it with nearly zero chain wear showing.  I do track gear miles on all my wear items (chains, tires, wheels, frames) so I can tell you to the mile of the usage.....(yeah I am kinda sick about that hahahha).

For someone who does not want to take the chain off but get the waxed chain benefits you can get most by doing a major clean of the chain, cogs, pulley wheels and chain rings and then putting on Squirt or Silca super secret bike chain lube.  It might take many cleanings and lube to finally get to an "all waxed chain" but it can be done.   I rather just go all in and take my chain off when I need to go a good lube job

Feel free to ask me any questions or if you have anything more to add.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer to just buy a new chain.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
I prefer to just buy a new chain.
View Quote
Yes I purchase a new chain when it is time...I do a complete clean of the factory lube then wax it.   I ride so much and in all type of roads waxing is the best for me.  Quick links are your friend....

I even have a "race chain" I pull out that is low miles and freshly dipped for the lowest wattage.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been waxing for a few years.  I have two identical chains that I rotate.  I always have a chain waxed and ready to go.  Not difficult to do once you get the chain clean.  I use the Connex link.  Just got back from RAGBRAI and one day there were two guys standing next to an upside down tandem.  One guy was yelling "Anyone have a quick link?".  Never thought to carry a spare Connex with me.  I imagine the Air Force team came along eventually and helped them out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
In the mountains a chain is good for 800 miles or so. IF you keep it impeccably clean and lubed.
I use wax.
If you're getting 5000 miles from a chain you might as well piss on it and change it every 1500.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I did well with WD-40 one year. I would spray and clean my chain after every single ride. The chain was always bright and shiny and stayed clean. The only downside is on one longer  rides I would hear squeaks starting at 80 or 90 miles. I got close to 5000 miles out of that chain.

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I use wax, rewaxing about every 500 miles.

I use a finish line dry every few rides or so inbetween that. but sparingly, no need to soak the chain down, just a lite application and they quiet down and smooth out. its like the wax helps the lube stay in.

The biggest difference, its wicked quiet and seems to stay much cleaner and quieter after water crossings.

I've tried the complex multi part waxes, but the simple "hot tub" wax works well.

I've noticed the chain rings have significantly less wear and the chains last much longer.

to clean I literally just boil the chain till the old wax seeps out, dry, then toss it in the new wax and let it simmer in there for a while
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Been using the aerosol chain wax for over a decade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top