Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2023 3:06:28 PM EDT
I thought this might be fun topic and even help some folks out.  The idea is; what inexpensive tool have you purchased that surprised you with the quality / value?

I will start with two items I purchased on Amazon, a woodworking ruler set and a small square.  These are both Woodpecker knock-offs no doubt, but after seeing a review on Youtube I figured I would give them a try.  

Both turned out to be amazing good for the money.  Accuracy is well within my needs and the finish quality is great.  Honestly, I would never have purchased the "original" since the cost is outside of justifiable for me. (not a paid advertisement, lol)

Woodworking Ruler Set
Small Square

So what have you discovered that is a great tool for the money?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some old plastic handled wood chisels from 1970s vintage my Dad bought when building his log home kit.
The ones which were "K-Mart" brand, and stamped with "made in japan" on the steel hold a very nice edge.  On par with my older Witherby cast steel chisels (which are some of the better old ones I have, Barton and LI White excellent for holding an edge too)
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
For corded grinders it’s hard to beat HF. They are pretty cheap so you can have multiple set up without having to change from cutting to grinding, and if they die no biggie.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
18ga 2-1 brad nailer/1/4" stapler for $5 with coupon when buy $50 of other stuff

The $10 4 1/2" angle grinders, I got 6 each with different cutoff, grinder wheels and one with wire brush.

10pack cutoff wheels $5 coupon.

As of 07152023, Vulcan  .030 and .035 10lb roll fluxcore wire for $50 a roll, pretty good price
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:18:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#4]
I bought some Stanley impact sockets at Walmart for super cheap when I was a teenager. I figured I'd upgrade them later. Turns out they've been great. I use them on a regular basis and I've seen no reason to upgrade after all of these years. They are probably the most surprising cheap tool I have.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:05:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#5]
Most WEN items are a good value.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#6]
This is an early report.  Don't hate me, lol.

I purchased a $10 set of HF chisels to practice sharpening skills.  Right out of the package they were reasonably sharp enough.  As I went to flatten the back, I found they were concave and that makes my job so much easier!  Sharpening went just fine, nothing crazy.

Now I have not attempted to use them yet, just playing around sharpening.  But my first impression is they seem better than I expected.  They might not hold an edge beyond pine wood, lol, but for $10 they seem like a good deal.

Time will tell.  But if you have a quick weekend project and are not planning to build high-end furniture, they might be a reasonable choice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Echd:
Most WEN items are a good value.
View Quote
I agree.   They do seem to have a good value to money position.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
I bought some Stanley impact sockets at Walmart for super cheap when I was a teenager. I figured I'd upgrade them later. Turns out they've been great. I use them on a regular basis and I've seen no reason to upgrade after all of these years. They are probably the most surprising cheap tool I have.

View Quote
Funny story.  I was digging thourg my stash of old tools and found the first cold chisel I purchased around 1984.  I was using it to remove freeze plugs from an old 66 Plymouth my Pops gave me.  It's so old I have no idea who made it as the cosmetics are all gone.  But as far as old tools, I think this is the oldest one I own.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently bought the Wen cordless 6-1/2 Inch track saw as a beater to keep in my truck, for odd off site jobs. It was 175.00 delivered thru amazon. I have been very impressed by its performance. The included blade even cuts great. Its almost a exact copy of the Makita cordless saw.

It comes with two 4 amp hour batteries and the slow charger. The rapid charger is only 35 bucks from amazon.

Powertech also makes good makita 55 inch clone (pack of 2) tracks for 119.00. The combo would be a great way for someone who is looking to get into track saws on a budget.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45FMJoe] [#10]
Originally Posted By ropwoo:
I agree.   They do seem to have a good value to money position.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

That's what I hear. I might have to look a little closer. I might get run out of here, but I'm kinda digging Harbor Freight's Hercules line for more affordable stuff. I bought the big router. I'll see how it works out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a need to cut a bunch of 3/4" long pieces of 1/4" brass rod.  None of the tools in my shop were quite right for this, so picked up one of these:
DRILL MASTER2 in. Mini Benchtop Cut-Off Saw

While it doesn't have the heft of a name-brand tool, the lil' sucker works, and works pretty good.  I've only cut 20-30 pieces so far, but that was just because I figured the blade would only last for 2 or 3... brass isn't the easiest thing to cut cleanly.  But it's still going on the original blade, and replacements are cheap.

Would buy again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Harbor Freight rolling 5 drawer tool cart. I paid $159 and it is just as nice as the ones costing $700-900.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By midmo:
Had a need to cut a bunch of 3/4" long pieces of 1/4" brass rod.  None of the tools in my shop were quite right for this, so picked up one of these:

While it doesn't have the heft of a name-brand tool, the lil' sucker works, and works pretty good.  I've only cut 20-30 pieces so far, but that was just because I figured the blade would only last for 2 or 3... brass isn't the easiest thing to cut cleanly.  But it's still going on the original blade, and replacements are cheap.

Would buy again.
View Quote
That is what many of us are using to cut 5.56 brass into .300AAC.  Works great.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By midmo:

Would buy again.
View Quote

I bought the drill master 6" 5.5amp cut off saw at hf parking lot sale itc price 25 bucks several years back,

i use the Hercules 6.5"x 3/32 cut off wheels cause they fit the saw and last much longer than the 6"x1/16 cut off wheels instructions said to use.

I use it to cut rebar up to 5/8", 1/8" thick angle iron, chain link top rail and posts and its held up well.

So far its kept me from using my plasma cutter on the smaller stuff or breaking down and buying one of the 3.5hp 14" cut off saws
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Advance:
Harbor Freight rolling 5 drawer tool cart. I paid $159 and it is just as nice as the ones costing $700-900.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screenshot_2023-09-05_170800_png-2943896.JPG
View Quote
Now that looks like a nice piece of kit.  I need to go check it out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:34:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Need4Guns] [#16]
My Harbor Freight multi-tool (oscillating tool), belt/disc sander, drill press and wood lathe have been pretty impressive so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top