Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 9:16:28 AM EDT
The touchscreen in my pickup ('19 Silverado 2500 LTZ) has gone haywire.  It hangs up my calls, moves the map, changes stations/tracks/etc....it needs replaced.  I'd like to swap just the screen if possible because this is what I believe to be shorted out.  I tried finding it on Rock Auto but had no luck.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get one?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:42:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#1]
This is a super easy fix. Just swapped my touch screen (digitizer) on my 2015 Silverado. Had the ghost screen issue too.

I did a search for the year/make digitizer on Amazon ebay
Amazon Product
  • Compatible With: 2016 - 2018 GMC Sierra\u4e282015 - 2018 GMC Yukon\u4e282017- 2018 GMC Canyon\u4e282015 - 2018 Chevy Tahoe\u4e282016 - 2018 Chevy Silverado\u4e282015 - 2018 Chevy Colorado\u4e282015 - 2018 Chevy Suburban

. Was ~$30.  You can replace the whole screen for around $100. It's less steps. But it's just the touch screen that is bad.

Watch this video for how to get the radio out. It'll be easier than explaining it. Again, super easy.

How to Fix GM Phantom Screen Chevy Silverado 2500

Just be careful prying off the trim.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Remove all the screws from the back of the radio.

Attachment Attached File

Carefully remove the circuit boards. They just un-clip.

Attachment Attached File

The touchscreen (digitizer) is held on the screen by some thin clips. Just bend them back. It'll separate.

Attachment Attached File

You'll need a razor and a heat gun to loosen the glue. You'll remove the screen from the metal frame. It's thin, so don't go cranking on it. Don't worry about breaking the screen. Then remove all the remaining glue.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The new screen will have tape already on it. Make sure you orient the screen to the frame in the correct direction. The 3 tabs are on top. 2 on the bottom. Remove the tapes backing and place it on the frame.

Attachment Attached File

Now reassemble in reverse.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Whole project took about 30 minutes to do.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate the big ass Ironing board screen in our 2022 Chevy Sierra work truck...  That thing  has to cost a fortune itself and to replace.

I'm one of those guys that likes aftermarket head units and they are making it impossible to swap them as they are so tightly integrated in the controls of the vehicle...

It would not be so bad, if they came with Front, Rear and Sub preouts and a remote turn on wire.
I know you can add a line level converter, but even the great ones aren't that great.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By aod886:
This is a super easy fix. Just swapped my touch screen (digitizer) on my 2015 Silverado. Had the ghost screen issue too.

Snip
View Quote
FUCK YES!
Originally Posted By smullen:
I hate the big ass Ironing board screen in our 2022 Chevy Sierra work truck...  That thing  has to cost a fortune itself and to replace.

I'm one of those guys that likes aftermarket head units and they are making it impossible to swap them as they are so tightly integrated in the controls of the vehicle...

It would not be so bad, if they came with Front, Rear and Sub preouts and a remote turn on wire.
I know you can add a line level converter, but even the great ones aren't that great.
View Quote
Man, me too.  Shits too complicated.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:57:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MidMichHunter] [#4]
THX!  I have a '15 GMC Sierra that has the same "Ghost in the Machine" issue, but mine will jump from radio, to Pandora, to Media, to Setup and sometimes it even changes the display language, yup a lot of fun.  It's a know issue, but GM won't take responsibility and of course the dealer can never replicate it.  I even have a recording of it, but the dealership/GM are worthless.  I guess I'll try this replacement.

eta:  Dammit, that's for a '16 and newer...
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MidMichHunter:
View Quote

That's just what I bought for my 2015 Chevy.

I'm sure they have them for your truck.

I'd imagine they're the same?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MidMichHunter:
THX!  I have a '15 GMC Sierra that has the same "Ghost in the Machine" issue, but mine will jump from radio, to Pandora, to Media, to Setup and sometimes it even changes the display language, yup a lot of fun.  It's a know issue, but GM won't take responsibility and of course the dealer can never replicate it.  I even have a recording of it, but the dealership/GM are worthless.  I guess I'll try this replacement.

View Quote
The listing says 15-18?

Also the 3/4t stuff lags a year in major changes, so this should also work on '19 2500s....I'll know by the end of the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh great, I guess I have this to look forward to on my 2020.

I've had the gauge bezel screen go fucking nuts on me already twice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
Oh great, I guess I have this to look forward to on my 2020.

I've had the gauge bezel screen go fucking nuts on me already twice.
View Quote

My 2015 screen started the ghost, aka phantom screen thing about a year ago.

Started getting worse in the last 3-4 months. Some days it would non stop switch around to different stuff. Other days it would be fine.

When I started driving around with the radio off, that's when I dived into the research on fixes. And let me tell you, the damn internet is all over the place. Some folks claimed you had to get the satellite antenna replaced and taken to the dealership to get the computer updated. No!  It's really a ~$30 fix. Very simple.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice, my 2015 Silverado has had problems for a while, seems to get worse or better as temps change throughout the year.

Just ordered and going to replace this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bionic589:
Nice, my 2015 Silverado has had problems for a while, seems to get worse or better as temps change throughout the year.

Just ordered and going to replace this weekend.
View Quote
Yes, mine seemed to get worse when temps were higher.

My replacement unit is here but I won't be able to break it apart sundeee.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Got this done today.  I >think< it fixed my issue.  It definitely restored my screen's abilities but I'm not sure the ghost is fully out the machine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Got this done today.  I >think< it fixed my issue.  It definitely restored my screen's abilities but I'm not sure the ghost is fully out the machine.
View Quote

Do tell us more...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Do tell us more...
View Quote
At first it was fine, now it's back to the same shenanigans.  I'm not convinced I got the install done properly, where you mate the screen to the frame.  I think I'll try again, but with the complete replacement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting.

Make sure the ribbon connectors are also good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting.

Make sure the ribbon connectors are also good.
View Quote
That was the easiest part to work on.  They're in good shape- no cuts/pinches/scuffing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top