Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxLewis:
I have never seen this film.

Should I watch it?
View Quote

I'm honestly jealous that you have the opportunity to watch Children of Men for the first time and experience it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#3]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:

I am sure it is a thing.
Do you think some folks see conspiracies everywhere?
Do you think Children of Men is predictive programming.
DO you think any movie with any kind of social commentary is predictive programming?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By runcible:
You think that sounds far fetched?

I am sure it is a thing.
Do you think some folks see conspiracies everywhere?
Do you think Children of Men is predictive programming.
DO you think any movie with any kind of social commentary is predictive programming?
Yeah, not today Mr. Illuminati man.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The scene with the Rolls Royce and the King Crimson song was my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_Six] [#5]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
The fighting sounds are some of the more realistic I’ve heard in movies.
View Quote

I've never been in combat, but two friends who have BTDT both said COM was the most realistic depiction that they've seen in a movie.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
Anything with Clive Owen as the lead is good.

Inside Man
King Arthur
The International
View Quote

The International was also and all time classic!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s on my top 10.  Incredible movie.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CypressCity] [#8]
Originally Posted By WhirlyGirl45:
The scene with the Rolls Royce and the King Crimson song was my favorite.
View Quote

ya that was pretty dope.  Love the pink floyd pig flying in the background in that guys apartment too.  nice little touch.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BigBurkeyBoy:

Weird. I also saw it in high school with a couple friends and it felt... just... depressingly realistic. Even the action scenes felt like a brutally accurate portrayal of the randomness of modern war. Bullets aren't even addressed to any one side, but instead carry a label of "to whom it may concern". About the only thing it didn't predict was smart phones. Everything else looks and feels almost exactly like where we ended up. Probably the most accurate representation of what the 2020s would look like.
View Quote

Not the main plot point though.  There is no universal infertility affecting humanity right now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#10]
“As the sound of the playgrounds faded, the despair set in. Very odd, what happens in a world without children's voices.”
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By X-CaptHook:
For me, this is the best scene in the movie. It blows me away that it was done in a single take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOyAXPn1V9k
View Quote

Loved it! Annoying character and cheered when she was shot. Made him stronger without her reliving the moments from the past.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:18:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#12]
I just came for the urban Camo and the single continuous shot of the urban combat scene in one take!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Should I watch it?
View Quote
Do you like dystopian TEOTWAWKI movies with amazingly innovative cinematography and story telling?

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CypressCity:

ya that was pretty dope.  Love the pink floyd pig flying in the background in that guys apartment too.  nice little touch.

View Quote

I forgot about that...will have to watch this again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Should I watch it?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:34:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#16]
Originally Posted By Clockwork138:

The plot was an evil gun manufacturer killing people to prevent the repeal of the 2nd Amendment. The protagonist, whose family was killed in some sort of shooting, kills a corrupt politician and explains that his assassination will trigger stricter gun control. I'd say it's more than a "slight anti-gun vibe". All hypocritically done with excessive amounts of gunplay.
View Quote

I made a point of seeing that movie with the directors commentary on. Every now and then I see a movie that is so aggressively bad that I want to give the director a chance to explain themselves.

Apparently the entire movie grew out of his notebook of "cool ideas." He strung them all together with a nonsensical plot. This is a thing directors do from time to time. I'm convinced thats how Tenet started out.

When at long last we finally get to the part where the director explains how he feels about gun control he says. "This is a stupid action movie, it shouldn't influence your politics one way or another."

Well, at least he acknowledged that he made a stupid movie.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The Future is Black (and Female)
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome film. Watch it at least once a year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]
The politics didn't age well for me. It's a good movie from what I remember, though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

I made a point of seeing that movie with the directors commentary on. Every now and then I see a movie that is so aggressively bad that I want to give the director a chance to explain themselves.

Apparently the entire movie grew out of his notebook of "cool ideas." He strung them all together with a nonsensical plot. This is a thing directors do from time to time. I'm convinced thats how Tenet started out.

When at long last we finally get to the part where the director explains how he feels about gun control he says. "This is a stupid action movie, it shouldn't influence your politics one way or another."

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clockwork138:

The plot was an evil gun manufacturer killing people to prevent the repeal of the 2nd Amendment. The protagonist, whose family was killed in some sort of shooting, kills a corrupt politician and explains that his assassination will trigger stricter gun control. I'd say it's more than a "slight anti-gun vibe". All hypocritically done with excessive amounts of gunplay.

Mmm, kinda like the shitty civil war movie that is out right now? It’s just a shitty movie right! Right!

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:54:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#21]
Originally Posted By Pellinore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsii9QhJYw
View Quote
That was good. Like I said, the movie beat you over the head with the immigration shit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Never seen it... I think I recall hearing about it when it came out, but assumed it was a Hallmark channel type movie
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:06:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: captexas] [#23]

Should I watch it?
View Quote

Definitely. Even if you don't like the movie overall for some reason, there are a couple of action scenes in it that are very good including the main urban battle scene that was done all in one take.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By byron2112:
Never seen it... I think I recall hearing about it when it came out, but assumed it was a Hallmark channel type movie
View Quote

I saw that it was on one night when I was bored so I ended up watching it in spite of the title. I was very surprised at how much I liked it. It's a very well-made movie with a good storyline.

Watch it and see if you don't think so. It's a far better movie than most in its era.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Great movie.  I need to pull it up again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Where is it streaming?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#27]
Originally Posted By jonny762:
The politics didn't age well for me. It's a good movie from what I remember, though.
View Quote
The only political undertones I remember are the refugees or "Fugees", and a hardline government rounding
them up and putting them in settlements.
Considering the rest of the world had collapsed and "Britain stands alone" (according to the narrative), I don't
see it so much as political as just a backdrop for the rest of the story that is told.

One could take it as a narrative for the "open border" left, but I didn't really see that myself.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By smullen:
Where is it streaming?
View Quote
It's on a number of platforms to rent, I don't think it's anywhere for free.
You'd be just as well served getting a used dvd copy on eBay, and pay the same as what they want for a rental.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
The only political undertones I remember are the refugees or "Fugees", and a hardline government rounding
Considering the rest of the world had collapsed and "Britain stands alone" (according to the narrative), I don't
see it so much as political as just a backdrop for the rest of the story that is told.

One could take it as a narrative for the "open border" left, but I didn't really see that myself.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jonny762:

The movie’s attitude was basically "how dare the West have borders."
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I think I've watched it twice. Been a while.

I need to check it out again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Inside Man
King Arthur
The International
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a movie I can watch over and over, and still not really understand some parts of it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Bingo.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Inside Man
King Arthur
The International

Bingo.

If you get a chance, he’s good in a flick called Anon too.

I have a hard time with him in that Shoot ‘em up flick though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I have not watched it in a while as it's legitimately stressful. The tension in the 1 take scenes is thick. Add the incredible audio. Viola.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:16:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#35]
The long no cut takes in that movie are great.

I didn't even notice them the first time I watched it, but then read about them and on the second time I watched it I actually paid attention, and they did some really long ones. That shows skill all around from the crew, director and actors.

It's very enjoyable to watch compared to fast cut action movies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#36]
You'd be just as well served getting a used dvd copy on eBay, and pay the same as what they want for a rental.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smullen:
Where is it streaming?

Amazon has it on blu ray for about $10 new.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By runcible:
I enjoyed it, thought the (Mexican) director leaned pretty hard into the whole illegal immigrant thing.
Apparently, Western countries having borders is wrong.
I wonder how he feels about Mexico's immigration policies?
View Quote
Mexicans don't appear to like it when Gringos move to Mexico, take over neighborhoods, and insist on speaking their own language instead of assimilating .  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#38]
https://www.abandonedspaces.com/public/raf-upper-heyford-the-filming-location-of-world-war-z-wonder-woman-fast-furious-6-children-of-men.html

Spent three years there in the 80s. We were a tenant installation. The base was always an RAF base.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CSeaBass:
One of my favorite movies of all time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Should I watch it?
View Quote

Yes, absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By byron2112:
View Quote

Ban him!

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dhmjr40:

The only one I can think of that might not be is Shoot'em Up.  Super over the top.  Decent soundtrack.  But gave me a slight anti gun vibe that 'might' be entirely in my head.  I still like watching it though which might have a little to do with Monica Bellucci
View Quote

You're insane man! The scene where he shoves a carrot through the dudes skull was cinematic gold!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#43]
It should have ended when Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#44]

Predictive programming is a theory devised by conspiracy theorists, it claims that the government or groups of elites are using fictional movies or books as a mass mind control tool to make the population more accepting of planned future events.

Wow.  Lots of folks on the crazy pills
View Quote

Don't read Wiki to get your information.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Sad fugee face!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Halo_is_for_Kids:
It should have ended when Click To View Spoiler

View Quote
It did
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#47]
I haven't watched that in years. I need to again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By macman37:
That one-take bombing scene is a masterpiece of modern cinema.
View Quote

I have never seen the movie and never seen the beginning clip. It just shocked me. Incredible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Amazing movie
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Predictive programming is a theory devised by conspiracy theorists, it claims that the government or groups of elites are using fictional movies or books as a mass mind control tool to make the population more accepting of planned future events.

View All Quotes
Felt entirely too much like predictive programming to me to enjoy. Especially after watching the DVD extras.

Yep. There's no way government types and the hollywood elite would ever do such a thing.
Page / 3
Children of Men (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top