Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2023 5:06:34 PM EDT
My neighbor is giving me his generic blackstone. It has been under a carport but has some surface rust on the cooking surface. What is a good way to clean it up and be safe to eat? How do I season it and keep it from rusting again? I can put it under a soft cover but I don’t have a carport for it. Is a hard lid a good way to go if they make it to fit this one?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Pumice stone, salt. Rub with either one then lightly oil.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I get it good and hot, then blast with water and a scraper. Gets most of the junk off.

Might need a couple applications.

After that season by getting hot, adding oil, let it smoke, turn it off. Repeat a few times while drinking beer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Pumice, a block, like this?
Amazon Product
  • Effective Grill Cleaning Stone - Grill cleaning stone for fast and efficient cleaning of Flat top griddles, Grills, Stove, Grate, Oven trays, and other kitchen or cooking utensils made of iron or steel

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
I get it good and hot, then blast with water and a scraper. Gets most of the junk off.

Might need a couple applications.

After that season by getting hot, adding oil, let it smoke, turn it off. Repeat a few times while drinking beer.
View Quote

I can do this…
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DancingBear:
Pumice stone, salt. Rub with either one then lightly oil.
View Quote

This is the way my parents did it years ago. Sometimes my job after closing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a fan of pumice stones so I use a 3M pad holder, a pad and screen, available on amazon or any restaurant supply store.

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Harbor freight and blaster and fine walnut media. It'll clean up nice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top