Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2023 12:40:58 PM EDT
Hello to all! New member who is enjoying the information sharing and discussions!
I came across this and it really brings back the memories - hope more are added by others!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#1]
When I was a kid in the 1970s we had M1 Garand toy guns.   I think they said "MARX" on the side of them which looking back is sort of ironic.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Found a picture online!

I'm tempted to find one of these for sale. Nostalgia can be an expensive path.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive started a small collection of vintage toy guns. It gives me a less expensive way to collect gun stuff, without having to spend money on real guns all the time. I also find it to be a cool part of history, when toys were made with real wood and metal, and not just plastic junk.

It also adds a bit more excitement to gun shows and auctions, as it gives me something to look for.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite gun toy was a green CAR-15, similar to the infamous Mattel Marauder from
The Green Berets. It had the right side charging handle/spring setter that made the gun
go brrrrrrrr when the trigger was pressed.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:08:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#5]
That does sound like a fun extension of the hobby.  I wanted to branch out into something "non-gun" and started bayonets but then they suddenly became popular and expensive.  Then it was ammunition. Same thing happened.  Last attempt was field gear.  Have you checked the price of an original M1913 cartridge belt lately? If I start collecting toy guns you likely won't be able to afford them because my collecting-curse will drive the costs through the roof, haha.

I gave up on all forms of collecting.  I'm content looking at pictures of other people's collections on the internet and daydreaming.  It is like my childhood when I would longingly look at the Sears or Service Merchandise catalogs before Christmas dreaming of getting a Navarone Mountain army play set or better yet, real gun.  I think I wore out the gun pages of every Sears, Montgomery Ward, and Service Merchandise catalog that was delivered.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By myitinaw:
My favorite gun toy was a green CAR-15, similar to the infamous Mattel Marauder from
The Green Berets. It had the right side charging handle/spring setter that made the gun
go brrrrrrrr when the trigger was pressed.

View Quote

I think we had some side charging / spring loaded toy guns.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
This is, without a doubt, my favorite toy from my childhood.  My uncle (7 years old than me ... like a big brother ... lived together) had one and I wanted one SO INTENSELY.  My great-grandmother gave me one for Christmas. It was the only gift she ever gave me, but it was the best Christmas gift I ever received (until a few years later when a shotgun was under the tree from my step-father).

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#8]
We all remember the green "army men" toys.  They were modeled after US soldiers.  The dark grey soldiers in the Navarone Mountain set had German helmets, MP40s, "potato masher" grenades, etc. It was the coolest thing ever.

My uncle's had DARK grey figures. My set had changed the plastic soldiers to a light grey, but that just kept us from arguing who each belonged to.

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Remember the Mattel M-14 and a companion .45ACP? I had both and sure wish I would have kept them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Today's boys can't mimic a gun by pointing fingers without being called to the principal's office.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top