Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/1/2024 7:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote]
So he scaled a fence that specifically says not to do it and fell to his death.  The article doesn't mention what the dead guy's BAC was, but i'm guessing it wasn't 0.0 if he was at a college party.  And his mom is suing for money and specifically says she wants to see people go to jail over it.

'Serial killer' cliff: USC grad, 23, is FOURTEENTH person to trip and fall to his death off 'dangerous' Santa Barbara ridge - as parents sue the city
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13371983/Serial-killer-cliff-USC-grad-23-FOURTEENTH-person-trip-fall-death-dangerous-Santa-Barbara-ridge-parents-sue-city.html

A young college graduate has become the fourteenth person to fall to his death over a perilous Santa Barbara cliff.
Jacob Parker, a recent graduate of the University of California, tripped over a concrete balcony fence and fell fifty feet to his death at the bottom of Isla Vista's cliffs.
The 23-year-old become the fourteenth person to do so in the last thirty years, Fox News reported.

The tragedy occurred two weeks ago when Parker was celebrating at a party on Del Playa Drive, a popular area for student housing, at a house that backs up onto the cliffs.
Parker was allegedly trying to make his way through a crowd on a concrete balcony overlooking the sea, his family told Fox News.

However, unable to make his way through to a gazebo Parker climbed over a 42-inch tall metal wire fence onto a 33-inch wide concrete ledge, bordered by a metal rail along the cliff's edge.
As he tried to jump back over into the party area Parker tripped and fell to his death at the bottom of the cliffs.

'He had so much potential. I was just looking forward to seeing what he would accomplish in life. This was just the beginning,' Parker's mother, Deborah, told Fox News.
Parker's parents, Deborah and George, believe their son's death was preventable.

The Parker's argue that Santa Barbara's November safety plan required all new fences to be six feet tall following a previous death of a University of Santa Barbara student last year.
The couple have filed a civil lawsuit against the city and pushing for criminal charges including involuntary manslaughter in an effort to seek justice for their son and prevent further accidents.

'I'm heartbroken. I'm crushed,' George Parker told Fox News.
'I'm at the point where this is now my work. Not just getting enforcement, but I really want to push for criminal charges.'
'I don't just want money,' George explained, 'I want people in jail.'

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tragic. Can't fix stupid though
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
They need to put a fence to keep people from getting on the fence.  And then a fence for that fence!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutOut:
They need to put a fence to keep people from getting on the fence.  And then a fence for that fence!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SOCTAC:
View Quote

Not so fast.  Bet you he won't do that again.  See stupid was fixed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:40:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#5]
Sucks that he's dead but California posters here can attest people in California are a standard deviation less intelligent than people from just about anywhere else in the country.

Last time I was in California I told a Starbucks barista I was coming from Louisiana and he looked at me weird and asked where's that?? . Stupid fuck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I believe the cliff just did.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Should be suing the university.  24 years old and the graduate can’t read.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

In this case stupid got fixed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Darwin never sleeps.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
RIP to the deceased & condolences to his family.

Lawsuit it frivoulus
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:45:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RIP-Yataski] [#11]
Anything is a pay day if you are a piece of shit fan of victimhood...

...the kid made a decision, ignored the posted warning, fucked around & found out. Sue yourself for raising a kid that would do such a thing

ETA: frivolous was the word I couldn't recall until reading the responses above. Tragic, sure. Anybody's fault but the kid, no...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
gravity works bitch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Years ago in Norway I hiked Pulpit Rock.  At the edge of the rock was hundreds of meters straight down with no fence or signs.  At the time I found it remarkable that such a thing could exist without safety barriers in place, but it would have been ruined with them.

It's a shame idiots ruin nice things.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

If she needs a shoulder to cry on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I did plenty of stupid shit when I was younger that could have killed me. My parents wouldn’t have gone after anyone else unless THEY were clearly negligent. Isn’t the phrase “death by misadventure”?
I feel sorry for the kids folks though. I would be completely destroyed if that happened to either of my boys
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#16]
As someone that has "ambulance chased" in the past. I'll just like to say that I have no idea who the attorney is, but they are a piece of shit
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I'd be more embarrassed than angry, if that were my kid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:
Should be suing the university.  24 years old and the graduate can't read.  

View Quote
She should be suing herself. Learning to read starts at home along with common sense.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

We're gonna need a MS Paint diagram, sounds complicated
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
'He had so much potential.’
View Quote
At the top of the cliff.  Which he converted to kinetic by plunging to the bottom and having an inelastic collision.  

Clearly he wasn't a Physics major.

And who do the parents think should go to jail over this?

Maybe Mr. Drunk and Stupid should be prosecuted for littering.    
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Stupid hurts.

In Real America, I would expect this lawsuit to get laughed out of court.

In the PRK, it has a good chance of succeeding.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#23]
An electric fence might be fun. But someone would sue over that too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#24]
'He had so much potential. I was just looking forward to seeing what he would accomplish in life. This was just the beginning,' Parker's mother, Deborah, told Fox News.

Every parent believes their kid has potential & will live a life fulfilled.  Sadly for some, it doesn't work out that way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Which people does the mother want in Jail?  
Like the school shooting case where they convicted the parents, should she offer herself up for arrest for not instilling common sense into her son?

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
I did plenty of stupid shit when I was younger that could have killed me. My parents wouldn't have gone after anyone else unless THEY were clearly negligent. Isn't the phrase "death by misadventure"?
I feel sorry for the kids folks though. I would be completely destroyed if that happened to either of my boys
View Quote
If I did something stupid to get myself killed I'm pretty sure my mom would have held a seance just so she could make me apologize
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
View Quote

I was thinking that a hot wire run along the top would teach drunk college students to respect the fence.  I mean, it works for cattle and horses and their brains are pretty small as well.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:14:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#28]
dupe
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't get this.

The fence had signs and was already 42" tall.

How would an extra 30" stop a 6' 2" athlete from doing the same thing again?

If you're dumb enough to jump a 42" fence that protects you from a cliff face, how is a 60" going to stop you? It would be different if the guy was pushed.

I mean, how did this kid survive life up to this point? Whenever he came upon a balcony on an apartment, 2nd floor of a mall, sports stadium, parking garage, or anywhere else, why didn't he immediately climb over that railing too?

Bet you mom and dad are affluent and just looking for a pay day. Kid likely already has a 100k gofundme too because people always donate to these dipshits.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
'He had so much potential.'
View Quote

Yeah, mgdz can be a real bitch, sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:

'I don't just want money,' George explained, 'I want people in jail.'

View Quote

Can you be criminally charged for raising an illiterate jock?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Stupid dies as stupid does.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#34]
14 idiots… 14.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote] [#35]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
dupe
View Quote

Searched terms mom, cliff, fall, college, climb, climbed, sues, serial and fence before posting and didn't get any matches.  I did a good faith search before posting.  Let me guess someone created their own post with a title that is vague or doesn't point to what actually occurred?  You didn't provide any link either.

ETA - After the fact I even searched the guy's last name and still ZERO matches.   It's NOT a dupe.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

I think Jacob has been cured of it.
Maybe getting sanctioned for filing a frivolous action would help fix his parents?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:41:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike3000fl] [#37]
I've done dumb shit on spring break sometime around 1995. All separate events.

Scaled the front of hotels, from the pool area and ground floor balcony railings to the next balcony railing, floor by floor, up to the 14th floor to talk to girls that were flashing us.

I've removed a fire hose from the hallway and tied it to a bed frame and the railing, and descended down from ten floors up, only to end up on top the second floor roof of the lobby, and then had to hop onto a palm tree and shimmy down that fucker to freedom. I think I still have fine palm tree splinters in my inner thighs and balls.

We chucked most of the room furniture in one room off the balcony into the pool, and when security came pounding on the door, and started coming in, we climbed over and around the divider to the next room balcony, and made our way a few rooms down before we found an open sliding door and escaped thru their room.

Thinking back I am surprised I am not dead. However I knew the risks and wouldn't want my parents suing someone for me being a dumbass
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:42:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: klinc] [#38]
If she wants someone in jail then put her in for raising a retard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Electrify fence.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
View Quote

That's also potential energy, just waiting for the right dumb fuck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I can see where he got his brains from.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I bet she still gave him baths up to high school with that Karen hair style
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#43]
The apple obviously didn't fall (pun intended) far from the tree.

Mom is just doubling down on stupid and hopes to make money off her son's stupidity.

Sometimes you just have to let Darwin win and accept the outcome.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I know that spot.

Dumb and drunk kids gonna do dumb and drunk things.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#46]
OSHA standard for a hand rail is 42”.  A six foot fence would spoil the view and is unnecessary to prevent accidents, as opposed to sheer stupidity.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#47]
FUNNY MOMENT ?????? Girl Falls Off a Cliff. Hilarious Moment to Tears Funny
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
Sucks that he's dead but California posters here can attest people in California are a standard deviation less intelligent than people from just about anywhere else in the country.

Last time I was in California I told a Starbucks barista I was coming from Louisiana and he looked at me weird and asked where's that?? . Stupid fuck.
View Quote

I don’t think your personal experience is backed by facts.
But you continue being you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#49]
This country needs more treacherous landscape features. Not less.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By fssf158:
OSHA standard for a hand rail is 42”.  A six foot fence would spoil the view and is unnecessary to prevent accidents, as opposed to sheer stupidity.
View Quote

A cattle electric fence / hot wire would work wonders.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top