Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2024 9:55:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solace22]
I am a drone photographer and content creator but I often need some more close up shots. For the simplicity sake lets use real-estate photography and videography as an example.
I need a camera that can do the nice sweeping cinematic and smooth indoor video clips as well as pictures indoor an outdoor. currently I am using my s23 Ultra on a DJI gimbal and it does ok.
It is limited though and I obviously cant swap out lenses etc. I also find it hard to get great more up-close shots because I rely on a digital zoom, example I shot a motorcycle show last weekend and id like to crop in a bit more on some of the closer shots of the bikes but am forced to do most of it in edit.
Id also like something capable of doing astrophotography. It doesnt have to be able to zoom in on the moon craters or anything like that but a nice star timelapse would be great.
AEB photo's are also a must.
Is there a camera out there I should consider. I am very budget minded as I have spent all my money on drones haha
I am absolutely ok with used market as well and I dont need the newest thing. I bought my wife a Rebel t100 some time ago and it was not up to what I would have used it for and it wasnt exactly the easiest to navigate menu wise.

ETA to be clear when I say content creator I make content for others to use to advertise an event, a house and that sort of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:13:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#1]
Are you wanting to mount this camera on a drone?

Because unless you’re made of money a drone mountable camera isn’t going to do what you want.

You need a DSLR/mirrorless for your close up work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Are you wanting to mount this camera on a drone?

Because unless you’re made of money a drone mountable camera isn’t going to do what you want.

You need a DSLR/mirrorless for your close up work.
View Quote

no no no
I have a drone already but I need a camera also.
In other words I have the drone bases covered but I need something to replace using a cell phone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a canon g7x, and also a go pro. Just use a mic.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
I have a canon g7x, and also a go pro. Just use a mic.
View Quote

hmmmm not sure that is what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:54:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ef4life] [#5]
If you bought a rebel t100 fairly recently, it’s an extremely basic camera.

I’d look into a new canon r50 (or similar from Nikon or Sony) - it’s the newest entry level mirrorless camera. Then from there you will need to find what lenses you’d need to get the shots you want. You definitely want a Wide angle lens for home interiors to get the whole room in the shot.

If you have more budget an r7 would be double the price, but you get a tougher camera and in body stabilization which if your doing a lot of handheld work can help get the shot in focus.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
If you bought a rebel t100 fairly recently, it’s an extremely basic camera.

I’d look into a new canon r50 (or similar from Nikon or Sony) - it’s the newest entry level mirrorless camera. Then from there you will need to find what lenses you’d need to get the shots you want. You definitely want a Wide angle lens for home interiors to get the whole room in the shot.

If you have more budget an r7 would be double the price, but you get a tougher camera and in body stabilization which if your doing a lot of handheld work can help get the shot in focus.
View Quote

Yes!
I was just looking at the r50- it seems like what I am looking for.
We got the rebel forever ago, wife never used it and we sold it.. Turns out she doesnt like learning about photography as much as she thought lol
Ive been absolutely addicted to panoramic's with the drone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Solace22:

Yes!
I was just looking at the r50- it seems like what I am looking for.
We got the rebel forever ago, wife never used it and we sold it.. Turns out she doesnt like learning about photography as much as she thought lol
Ive been absolutely addicted to panoramic's with the drone.
View Quote

All the new mirrorless cameras are pretty awesome, it’s definitely a powerful entry level camera, definitely put in time to learning how to work the camera with a “dummy” manual or similar to get the most out of it. Muscle memory with cameras is huge learning the controls and how to change them while shooting. Invest in the best lenses you can if your going to take it serious, you can upgrade the body later on to something better and still use the same great lenses
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

All the new mirrorless cameras are pretty awesome, it’s definitely a powerful entry level camera, definitely put in time to learning how to work the camera with a “dummy” manual or similar to get the most out of it. Muscle memory with cameras is huge learning the controls and how to change them while shooting. Invest in the best lenses you can if your going to take it serious, you can upgrade the body later on to something better and still use the same great lenses
View Quote

the only thing I dont like are reports of proprietary sort of things like lenses, batteries and hotshoe stuff.
I need something more advanced I can grow into but simple enough my wife who just has a point and shoot mentality can also use. seems nice though!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]

the only thing I dont like are reports of proprietary sort of things like lenses, batteries and hotshoe stuff.
I need something more advanced I can grow into but simple enough my wife who just has a point and shoot mentality can also use. seems nice though!
View Quote

Lenses are going to be system based, canon now uses rf mount and the r50 can also use the rf or rfs lenses. You can also adapt older ef lenses to it if you want. The lenses are what you are really buying into, as you grow you can upgrade the camera body to one with better specs. The r50 has an auto mode for easy point and shoot. Don’t know much about the hot shoes on them, but I know they aren’t all equal, it’s an entry level camera so whatever it has isn’t going to be the most advanced. Batteries are whatever they change with most every camera body. You can charge them with usb power cables now in camera so if it’s running low just plug it in but I think they need more juice than just a standard usb phone plug, needs to be the higher current spec.

The next step up in camera body’s in canons line is the r8 and r7. Basically the lower the number the “better” the camera in canon speak.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Most lenses are going to be proprietary within the brand.

Deal with it.

I’m a Nikon guy, so don’t know Canon product numbers, but even an ancient D200, which can nearly be found given away in cereal boxes, will do what you want.

Stay away from the D5xxx and D3xxx bodies; nothing wrong other than they have limited dedicated buttons and you have to wade through menus.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#11]
Canon R6 mkII with a 24mm or 35mm lens seems to fit the bill.

Refurbs going for about $1800.

With a DJI RS3 gimbal.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MotorMouth] [#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
Nikon Z50
View Quote

I like that one also.
I think we are going to go check a few of these cameras out today.
Top Top