Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Ayn Rand had an affair with Wright, wrote melodramatic (in pure American Meritocracy) script for The Fountainhead based on her book.

Howard Roarke: "I'll build for any man, as long as I build my way. Any man who calls for me is my kind of man."

FLW Gas Station:

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:49:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WWIIWMD] [#2]
The last house he designed/built, in Phoenix
sold for $7,250,000

eta 7.25 M
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Wright coined the term Usonian for "United States-Onian", architectural innovation unique to American and affordable to the typical family. With use of precast concrete, non-morticed window glass set into each opening, slabs, flat roofing, numerous elements versus a brick Robie House with elaborate stained glass and woodwork.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Darwin Martin House
elaborate glass and wood

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Some roofs leaked, window glass needed sealed and other high maintenance costs.
Operating from Taliesen, then Taliesen West, nearly all homes were furnished by FLW. Its hard to locate owners who regret hiring him and living in his designs.

Individualist - non-Conformist
American b. 1867-1959

Robie House - 1906

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
What’s amazing is the extent to which classical design still influenced early modernists.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Everybody thinks they’re an architect, but how many of you basic bitch draftsmen ever got a handy from Stalin’s daughter?

Not a goddamn one.

FLW got them red handies four times a day out in Scottsdale, which was America’s most Western town back then.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#8]
He despised communism and everything it stood for.

FLW required vertical masonry joint mortar to near-match brick color as in some of Wingspread.

Asked our mason how it would change cost to run 2 colors of mortar (requires a second cement mixer, another hog carrier, color change around each brick, inside/outside right angles, window ledges, Keystones, etc.) on 16,000 bricks emulating the linear effect Wright obtained. He said 'if you have to ask...'.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Everybody thinks they’re an architect, but how many of you basic bitch draftsmen ever got a handy from Stalin’s daughter?

Not a goddamn one.

FLW got them red handies four times a day out in Scottsdale, which was America’s most Western town back then.
View Quote

Proper use of a communist
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Communists don't make good architects in my opinion and even worse builders. The ugliness in their souls is reflected in everything they do.

Wright seems like a man who tried to make beautiful things. Tried a little too hard from time to time and paid a price for it. But I would say his work left a lot of beauty in the world. That's a fine legacy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Part of the Unbuilt Program, a Solar Hemicycle in Hawaii

No interior walls, the curvature lends some degree of privacy from the 'bedroom' at one end to the living room/kitchen at the other.

FLW Cost New +/- $30,000
Unbuilt Program cost many decades later just as designed - $3.5 Million for a one room house on slab

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
We have in bartlesville the only skyscraper designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_Tower
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I think all of his stuff looks like shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Communists don't make good architects in my opinion and even worse builders. The ugliness in their souls is reflected in everything they do.

Wright seems like a man who tried to make beautiful things. Tried a little too hard from time to time and paid a price for it. But I would say his work left a lot of beauty in the world. That's a fine legacy.
View Quote

The creators of communism were vile subcreatures.
Such is the political abortion they devised and dreary unibloc cells for the ruling class slaves.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Clifton House

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By WWIIWMD:
He despised communism and everything it stood for.

FLW required vertical masonry joint mortar to near-match brick color as in some of Wingspread.

Asked our mason how it would change cost to run 2 colors of mortar (requires a second cement mixer, another hog carrier, color change around each brick, inside/outside right angles, window ledges, Keystones, etc.) on 16,000 bricks emulating the linear effect Wright obtained. He said 'if you have to ask...'.  

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6kGfJ5b/0/DzPQLRPCGRPfQb3cw6TbxNH7PF6FXQqkLdVbNC8Fc/X2/i-6kGfJ5b-X2.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DNSzHZw/0/DR6mc6WWkRxsDVGbmLZzxwwSt86rpVqpRzk3QfDx/O/i-DNSzHZw.jpg
View Quote

That’s less trouble than you think.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WWIIWMD:

The creators of communism were vile subcreatures.
Such is the political abortion they devised and dreary unibloc cells for the ruling class slaves.
View Quote

That was what they usually built.

Sometimes they tried to build things like this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]
There is a 5,000sq ft house in Paul's Valley Oklahoma that was designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright. My uncle was trying to buy it then the deal fell through.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#19]
To be fair, Frank Lloyd Wright was a grifter, but that didn't stop me from making windows for my house.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

That was what they usually built.

Sometimes they tried to build things like this.
View Quote

Modernism is at its best when it borrows the classics.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:14:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Had a tour. That was my tour guide.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cosmo05:
Falling Water is about twenty minutes from me, if anyone is ever near there stop and see it. Ohio Pyle is a small town not far from there, stop there too.
View Quote

Ive never gone in Fallingwater myself.  But I used to fish the Yough River a lot, from Confluence to below Ohiopyle, ii guess near Cucumcer falls where that stream comes in.
When I was in HS, we had to do a couple "cultural" activities ever semester (I went to the Pittsburgh symphony most all of those), but one group a lot of our day student group (boarding school but they still had some of us who only came for the day) went to Fallingwater.  One of the day students was leaning over the rail where there is a pool and he leaned too far and fell in.

Maybe he fell in from that platform at the bottom of the steps?   And seeing that, someone probably helped his fall into the water.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By borat:
I think all of his stuff looks like shit.
View Quote

I bet you own hi points
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top