Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2023 10:11:01 PM EDT
We have 2 smart TVs that we use for streaming, we do not have cable or dish, just internet, and are wanting to get local channels. Can I just get an antenna on Amazon and plug it into the TV, or do I need a converter box as well? I am a complete idiot when it comes to this tech stuff so any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Just an antenna.  Smart TVs won't have any problem like needing a separate box to convert to digital.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not an expert, just user. Depends on your location, type of antenna, and terrain between you and the station broadcasters.

I have several types of antennas. They all seem to work about the same. I buy the ones that have the longest range in miles. You position the antenna at a high point in the room near the TV, hook it up to your TV coax input, select the TV or antenna input on your TV menu, do a scan for channels. It will run through all the channels digital and analog and your done.

Sometimes the stations change, so you may need to rescan after a few months.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and ordered one to try out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discover how many FREE over-the-air channels are available from your local television broadcasters.
Enter your address and click the Go button to start.

Discover Your Available Stations

https://www.antennaweb.org/

the site gives you strength and bearing info,
10 degrees off axis is not going to sync

with digital broadcast you either get the channel or you do not

there is no watching a marginal signal like with analog broadcast

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
When I went to antenna I bought a DVR that functions as the tuner and records shows.
It was a one time cost and no other fee, unfortunately they no longer sell it and I only see ones with a monthy fee for sale now.
My TV is not smart, I use an old Xbox for streaming services.

https://www.channelmaster.com/pages/ota-dvr
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]

I've been using an OTA Indoor Antenna for a few years now.
Imagine watching commercials For Free!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top