Attachment Attached File

337 yard par 4.

BogeySkulled it over the green.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yup. Not quite 170 but that shot helped me take a snowman on 18.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#3]
God I miss those days. Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By optimator:
View Quote

I'm with wa, after a 25 year departure from the game getting back out there at age 65 I really struggle with playing within my limits, I wanna hit the ball like I did when I was young!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:44:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#5]
View Quote

While true, it really does beat the alternative.

I get to play white tees in league next year (55+) so there's that!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I get out of golf exactly what I put into it.  Which is to say, “not much”.  I haven’t played a round since prior to my stroke on Aug 1, 2017.  Now OA is kicking my butt in mid-40’s.  

However, I used to play great customer golf:
I pay for the round
I buy the beer
You always beat me
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I’m 62 & 1/2
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
You did not drive the green so no care....LOL

in my younger days I could - If I got a good roll - LOL  Remember one time there was a foursome on the green - with the ball rolled up on the green they all turned around and looked at us on the tee box and waved...they let us play thru.

I F'en never got an eagle - There was a course outside of Atlanta - three times I was on the green in two and never got it!

Wished I had taken up the game a couple of years earlier!

when I was about 18 - I went and played a round with my Grandfather...I was trying so hard to gorilla the ball - that I got beat - my Grandfather said no mater how far you hit the ball - still takes two strokes to get on the green!

Red

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

I’m 62 & 1/2
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42311/IMG_1677_jpeg-3170775.JPG

337 yard par 4.

BogeySkulled it over the green.
View Quote

I wonder if my watch will give me that  info. I always sit there trying to do the math in my head
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Truth!

I can also hit a 56 deg wedge about 100 yards when trying to take a 1/4 swing chip from about 25 yards out in the first cut of rough and a perfect lie.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:

I wonder if my watch will give me that  info. I always sit there trying to do the math in my head
View Quote

Some watches you have to be keeping score in order to read your shot distance.

Some are triggered by swinging, others are manual.

And if any of you are wondering “what iron for a watch.” (When you read 90 and fly the green and look again and it says 110) it’s a sand wedge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Some watches you have to be keeping score in order to read your shot distance.

Some are triggered by swinging, others are manual.

And if any of you are wondering “what iron for a watch.” (When you read 90 and fly the green and look again and it says 110) it’s a sand wedge.
View Quote

I have a Garmin Venu. It tacks my score by sensing impact.  If I want to track my distance I have to remember what the distance is on the tee box to the green then when I find my ball I read the distance to the green again and subtract that from the tee box distance.  Been thinking about upgrading to the Approach S70 but I an finding it hard to justify trhe $500 when I also want a new putter. At the same time I am trying to save funds for a new guitar. LOL It sucks being hobby poor
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not hitting 300+, but I'm working a lot on flattening and shortening my driver swing.  

It's helping accuracy without losing distance.  Hopefully it translates to the course and my caveman brain doesn't kick in on the tee box.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I did a handful of 300+ drives this past week.  It's always fun hitting a bomb in front of a group.  

I went down to visit a buddy and they consider him to be a big hitter.  I was past him on just about every drive that hit the fairway.

For the guys who want big tee shots, remember the longer the ball the bigger the miss.  I hit one somewhere in the 330s on a par 5.  Left an 8-iron into the green.  Problem is, I flew the woods on the right.  Flew over the shitter house.  Flew over a tee box and the green before it by about 50 yards.  It was a bomb.  Had we been on any other hole on the course, it would have been in the water or in someone's living room or pool.  I'd trade 20 yards distance for 20 yards tighter dispersion on misses.  

But, boy do they feel good when you catch one.  The best feeling I remember on a golf course was the first time I hit one 400 yards.  I can't do that anymore but I'll send one out there about 360 on occasion.  Did it in the work league last year.  Left a 3/4 sand wedge into the green and still left with a par.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm 62 & 1/2
View Quote
I hear ya.  I'm 70 now, played in college.  I got involved in a different sport a few decades ago and was saving golf for retirement thinking I could always go back to it.  I can still carry a driver about 265 according to all the various electronic gizmos and that still puts me out to 300 on a warm day with some roll.  Only problem now is I'm having some physical problems and everything hurts.

I try to swim for 30 minutes, take a 102 degree jacuzzi and 3 Advil prior to teeing off.  I may have to add a beer or two to that some day.  Health issues make a big difference.  Don't wait too long to retire guys.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By GlockPride:
I get out of golf exactly what I put into it.  Which is to say, “not much”.  I haven’t played a round since prior to my stroke on Aug 1, 2017.  Now OA is kicking my butt in mid-40’s.  

However, I used to play great customer golf:
I pay for the round
I buy the beer
You always beat me
View Quote

I'm 70 and took up golf again, about 3 years ago after a 20 year hiatus.  I've worked my ass off to improve my game.  I've finally
developed a solid swing and average 240 on my drives.  Had a 317 down wind a few weeks ago while shooting a 77.  You have
to practice all the time.  The game can not be perfected.
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top