Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/23/2024 3:38:15 PM EDT
I heard from some buddies at the airport a dc-4 that was fully loaded hauling fuel to rural Alaska went down near the airport in Fairbanks, I can’t find it on flight radar though, does anyone have the premium version to backtrack it? Should be under Everts air fuel. They’re good guys over there I hope everyone made it but it doesn’t sound good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#1]
Their website has this picture of a DC-6, reg N100CE

ETA:  The company’s aircraft include the well known vintage C-46 and DC-6 aircraft, which are especially well-suited to the many shorter, unimproved gravel and ice runways in Alaska. The Everts Air Cargo fleet consists of one C-46, four DC-6, and six MD-80 aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#2]
Sure it's a DC-4? According to Wikipedia there are only a few still flying, none of which are in Alaska.

Whatever the bird, I hope the crew is ok.

ETA: I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Was an alaska air fuel DC 4, went down near rosie creek exit, on the baks of the tanana, so far no crew survived, the fire is contained
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Solid first post
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Sucks to hear!!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Imyeet:
Was an alaska air fuel DC 4, went down near rosie creek exit, on the baks of the tanana, so far no crew survived, the fire is contained
View Quote

Shit that sucks. They come out here a lot
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#7]
Originally Posted By alaskan_9974:
I heard from some buddies at the airport a dc-4 that was fully loaded hauling fuel to rural Alaska went down near the airport in Fairbanks, I can’t find it on flight radar though, does anyone have the premium version to backtrack it? Should be under Everts air fuel. They’re good guys over there I hope everyone made it but it doesn’t sound good.
View Quote

I have the premium FlightRadar and can back track it if you can give me a tail number or an approximate time that it went down.

ETA:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
“[TR/Airport Alert 3 (Incident)] Douglas C-54D Skymaster crash and fire in the area of Kallenberg Rd. Alaska State Troopers, Fairbanks Airport Fire, Chena Goldstream Fire, and Ester Fire on scene. 2 Souls unknown status. DNR unable to respond to Brush fire”
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alaskan_9974] [#10]
Looks like they tried to come back. I don’t think they have recorders and there’s not many people out there. Hope someone saw what happened

ETA news link. Possibly blew up in air

News link
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn old airplanes. It should be criminal that lawyers and regulators make it necessary to keep these airplanes operating long past their prime. But economics make upgrading.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alaskan_9974] [#12]
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
Damn old airplanes. It should be criminal that lawyers and regulators make it necessary to keep these airplanes operating long past their prime. But economics make upgrading.
View Quote

There is nothing similar out there for the missions they do, it’s the runways that forces the use of these types of fuel haulers. Many communities don’t have road or barge access. They have been changing to air tractors to haul fuel but it’s a much smaller quantity, not sure how the economics play into that.

Heard it may have been a post maint test flight. So likely didn’t have any fuel in cabin.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#13]
damn, that’s sad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:59:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#14]
View Quote

That sucks. Pumped fuel from that plane when it was a Brooks plane as well as many a load from Everts DC-6/C-47’s. I feel for those families involved.

I used to grouse hunt that area a bit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#15]
What are the odds that today I spent my morning coffee time reading about Florida Air Cargo who operates 3 DC3s out of Opa Locka and this happens?

I know DC3 vs DC4, but I was in awe that someone still operates 80 year old cargo planes that served in WW2.

RIP to the crew.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayers for the crew and family. Has to be terrible, life changing event.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:16:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KA3B] [#17]
Originally built as a Douglas C-54D-1-DC Skymaster
USAAF Serial Number 42-72442
Manufacturers serial number 10547
To the RAF as Skymaster I KL977 as part of Lend-Lease
To the US Navy in 1946 as R5D-3 BUNO 91994 as part of Reverse Lend-Lease
Redesignated C-54Q in 1962
To Aero Union Corporation, Chico, CA with FAA N-Number N6229 December 1974
Assigned a new FAA N-Number N76AU
To Aero Flite Inc, Kingman, AZ with new FAA N-Number N3054V October 2001
To Brooks Fuel Inc, Fairbanks, AK May 2012
To Alaska Air Fuel Inc, Palmer, AK October 2013
To Alaska Air Fuel Inc, Palmer, AK with new FAA N-Number N3054V June 2020

You can see it here https://www.flickr.com/photos/keith_burton/53346567061/in/photolist-Zh5Udh-2ph46PB as a firebomber with Aero Union, N76AU in 1986.
You can see it here https://www.flickr.com/photos/keith_burton/37594355800/in/photolist-Zh5Udh-2ph46PB painted in WWII Euro markings in 1998.
Aero Union was trying to sell it on the warbird market.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
An old plane in my hometown crashing. Not exactly news.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Man, thanks for the info, but this is such an oddly specific First Post.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By stumpy89:
An old plane in my hometown crashing. Not exactly news.
View Quote

Not many four engine piston airliners left in flying condition. This may have been one of the last of its types still airworthy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#21]
View Quote
There are runways that only support that big of a airplane.
Plus there are always villages that get missed or cannot get full by barge.

There have been skyvans,sherpas,air tractors,caravans,beavers and other small planes flying fuel. Not very efficient way of hauling fuel.
Hercs will only go to the bigger runways and lynden is busier than shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

What is criminal about it?

The maintenance requirements are the same for any aircraft doing this work regardless of age.

What, specifically, is "their prime"?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#24]
RIP to the crew, and condolences to the families.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wesr228:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wesr228:

Join date, post count, no EE rating either.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Sad in more ways than one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

The maintenance requirements are the same for any aircraft doing this work regardless of age.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MudEagle:

While they have the same requirements, I can't imagine trying to keep a fleet of WW2 planes in revenue service.  It's hard enough getting parts for old jets with the weight of the Air Force supporting them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Prayers for crew and family.

We had a C54 here are Elizabeth City NC airport for the last 4-5 months. I hear she was enroute to somewhere and declared IFE having lost an engine. She sat at the south end of the runway until last week when several mechs arrived and swapped out the stbd inboard engine. Test flight came back, fueled, gone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#31]
From another thread with video:

Originally Posted By uafgrad:
A DC4 used to transport fuel/cargo crashed today in Fairbanks, Alaska
Unfortunately, it sounds like the two on board were lost

There is actually video of the plane flying and it appears that one of the engines explodes and then the plane tilts hard and goes down

With 4 engines, would the loss of a single engine be so catastrophic typically?

Link to the video, I can't figure out how to post it
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

While they have the same requirements, I can't imagine trying to keep a fleet of WW2 planes in revenue service.  It's hard enough getting parts for old jets with the weight of the Air Force supporting them.
View Quote

The Everts mothball yard is acres and acres of airframes, parts, etc, on top of the dozens of airframes on the tarmac just in Fairbanks alone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:30:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goodn] [#33]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

The Everts mothball yard is acres and acres of airframes, parts, etc, on top of the dozens of airframes on the tarmac just in Fairbanks alone.
View All Quotes

Not only is there a good supply of used parts.
Most people would shit if they knew how many NOS parts are still out there for WW2 and Korean war era prop aircraft.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't see how anyone, like Buffalo Airways, don't switch to feeder airline turboprops that have been/or can be converted to freight use. And not that shit show old Electra, more modern aircraft like ATRs and Dash 8s. Fucking old ass tail dragging DC-3 and Commandos: hard to load, limited parts, AVGAS sucking, difficult to start in cold, etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Goodn:

Most people would shit if they knew how many NOS parts are still out there for WW2 and Korean war era prop aircraft.

View All Quotes

I stand by my statement.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By junker46:
I don't see how anyone, like Buffalo Airways, don't switch to feeder airline turboprops that have been/or can be converted to freight use. And not that shit show old Electra, more modern aircraft like ATRs and Dash 8s. Fucking old ass tail dragging DC-3 and Commandos: hard to load, limited parts, AVGAS sucking, difficult to start in cold, etc.
View Quote

Colder operating temperatures, short airfields, and shitty runways w/ ingestible pebbles have a vote too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#39]

I stand by my statement.
View All Quotes

I stand by my statement.

I didn't say what I said to argue with you.  I said what I said from experience.  Most people would shit if they knew the amount of parts still available for the WW2 era planes.  The amount parts were cranked out of factories during the war was mind boggling.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By jwb211:

Damn, that’s horrible
View Quote

That was quick. Something was happening prior since they already declared before this happened, engine must’ve taken out control cables when it went.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

So you want them to operate aircraft that have known icing issues and have been scrubbed from most US service in icing areas?

Aircraft that are not designed for unimproved fields and they would require either trend monitoring to keep from the overhaul schedule OR just eating the overhaul costs.

A lot of issues when what you have is paid for and working just fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By UV18:

So you want them to operate aircraft that have known icing issues and have been scrubbed from most US service in icing areas?

Aircraft that are not designed for unimproved fields and they would require either trend monitoring to keep from the overhaul schedule OR just eating the overhaul costs.

View Quote

The fields up here are nothing like what’s in the states.

Even the best of them are nothing to look at. The older planes were built for these types of runways. By lower 48 standards many would be considered unimproved.

My insurance even for runway only planes is written as off airport, my insurance only considered paved runways in the larger cities as actual airports from their risk perspective.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I watched the brief Reddit video of the engine explosion and subsequent crash.

I’m not an aviator, so I’m a bit perplexed why an engine malfunction could cause a crash.  Could the malfunction/explosion be violent enough to sever control linkages, rendering the plane uncontrollable?

Certainly a sad outcome for the families of the crew, a couple blokes doing their job.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#45]

That was quick. Something was happening prior since they already declared before this happened, engine must’ve taken out control cables when it went.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwb211:

Damn, that’s horrible

From the way it went over immediately my guess is they already had a problem with the other engine on that side, and were pushing the left outboard hard.  It grenaded and they were screwed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Scott_S:
I watched the brief Reddit video of the engine explosion and subsequent crash.

I’m not an aviator, so I’m a bit perplexed why an engine malfunction could cause a crash.  Could the malfunction/explosion be violent enough to sever control linkages, rendering the plane uncontrollable?

Certainly a sad outcome for the families of the crew, a couple blokes doing their job.  
View Quote

Having zero experience wrenching on C-54s, my gut says no.  I would expect the flight control cables to run along the rear spar and not be near the engine, but that's obviously a guess.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:19:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#47]

View All Quotes

DC-3, Bush Air Cargo, Alaska
Take off from Sleetmute, AK
Typical Landing In Nanwalek, AK
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Okay, so there are no commercially viable rough/short field tubroprop freighters in the world, and the WW2 reciprocals will forever fly those routes.  Let me make a note of that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#49]

Okay, so there are no commercially viable rough/short field tubroprop freighters in the world, and the WW2 reciprocals will forever fly those routes.  Let me make a note of that.
View Quote
Some of it is weight and tire size.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:

Bigger issue is that the manufacturing industry isn't what it was 50 years ago, and AK is a niche market. Undoubtedly a better brush transport *could* be built, but ain't nobody wanna spend the money to develop an entire type for it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top