Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2024 6:01:16 AM EDT
I use Astras right now fir shaving my head.  I'm cheap so I  can get 4 or 5 shaves out of a blade.  I shave about once a week,  maybe twice.

Should I be pulling the blade and storing it a specific way,  or just leave it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want to keep bacteria and rust away from your blood stream, the ideal practice would be something like cleaning the blade off, sanitizing it in barbicide or another disinfectant, and then storing it in mineral oil.  The hair on my head dulls blades quickly, so I have taken to throwing them out after a single use for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I leave the blade in until its done its last shave, then I put the old blade in a disposable blade container. Clean the razor well. And leave it with no blade until I shave again.

I only use 3 piece razors so cleaning is easy unlike a lot of butterfly style razors that will need periodic cleaning and sanitation
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't personally seen any of my razors rust.  I do use the same blade 2 or 3 times and then throw it out.  I usually dispose of them in the old razor box they came in and throw them in the trash.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By banana-clip:
I haven't personally seen any of my razors rust.  I do use the same blade 2 or 3 times and then throw it out.  I usually dispose of them in the old razor box they came in and throw them in the trash.
View Quote
It typically isn’t the razor, it’s the blade that corrodes quickly.  But it depends on what blades you use, what they’re coated with (if anything), how humid an environment you live in, and where you shave.  I tend to shave my head in the shower, and that will cause a blade to begin to rust by the time I get home from work and notice I forgot to take the blade out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
I use Astras right now fir shaving my head.  I'm cheap so I  can get 4 or 5 shaves out of a blade.  I shave about once a week,  maybe twice.

Should I be pulling the blade and storing it a specific way,  or just leave it?
View Quote

I use Astras, 4x shaves before replacing (2x using one side, 2x using the other.)

I leave the blade in the razor, just shake off the water after shaving and leave it on the counter. Average changing a blade about every 10-14 days, where I then field strip the razor and wipe off all the soap residue with baby wipes.

I have done this for 2 years without any ill effect, and many great shaves.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been DE shaving for almost 20 years now. I've never had a blade rust and I just leave them in the razor. Toss after 5 shaves.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:30:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#7]
I remove the blade from the razor, rinse the blade off in running water, then dip the blade in 70% isopropyl alcohol (aka 70% isopropanol; rubbing alcohol). IME, the blades last a little longer than without an isopropyl alcohol dip. I haven’t tried the mineral oil trick, but that seems to work fine for some folks.

ETA: I usually get 4 shaves per blade, sometimes more.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
I leave the blade in until its done its last shave, then I put the old blade in a disposable blade container. Clean the razor well. And leave it with no blade until I shave again.

I only use 3 piece razors so cleaning is easy unlike a lot of butterfly style razors that will need periodic cleaning and sanitation
View Quote
this. obviously feathers are best, but I like persona's for every day. I buy the 100 pack on amazon and get 3-4 shaves out of them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't keep track of number of uses i just use until the quality of the shave gets noticably worse than a fresh blade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top