Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 11:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:
We render unto Thee our thanksgiving, O Lord our God, Father of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, by all means, at all times, in all places. For that Thou hast sheltered, assisted, supported, and led us on through the time past of our life, and brought us to this hour. And we pray and beseech Thee, O God and loving Lord, grant us to pass this day, this year, and all the time of our life without sin, with all joy, health, and salvation. But all envy, all fear, all temptation, all the working of Satan, do Thou drive away, O God, from us, and from Thy holy Church. Supply us with things good and profitable. Whereinsoever we have sinned against Thee, in word, or deed, or thought, be Thou pleased in Thy love and goodness to forgive, and forsake us not, O God, who hope in Thee, neither lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one and from his works; by the grace and compassion of Thine only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Amen. —Liturgy of St. Mark, 3rd Century
View Quote

Love this prayer from the Coptic Orthodox Divine Liturgy/Mass. I've attended a couple liturgies at the Coptic parish near me and if memory serves, the Mass there is 3 hours long. Makes me feel like a slacker by attending the local TLM or Byzantine liturgies, both are about an hour and 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
I can't get these two verses out of my head, I've been thinking about them for a few months.

10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Of course no two men are the same. We have different gifts, but as long as we use the gifts we're given to glorify God we become closer to God and our humble imitation of Christ.

It also is basically the western concept of law and justice. No, men are not the same, but much as we are all equal under God and accountable to him, the only just law would be a legal system which renders verdicts in a similar manner.
View Quote

It's calling us all to discipleship, that as we have the natural law written onto our hearts, we go and spread the gospel to all and expose the natural law that is in every one of us.

So like you said, true law and justice, God IS justice, He is love by way of justice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 8:44:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#3]
Originally Posted By EastWest:

Love this prayer from the Coptic Orthodox Divine Liturgy/Mass. I've attended a couple liturgies at the Coptic parish near me and if memory serves, the Mass there is 3 hours long. Makes me feel like a slacker by attending the local TLM or Byzantine liturgies, both are about an hour and 15 minutes.
View Quote

I wish all masses were 3 hours, my kids not so much...  haha

They never cease to amaze me though so who knows, they sat through a 2 hour beatification and canonization final hearing recently.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]
ASCEND, BROTHERS, ascend eagerly, and be resolved in your hearts to ascend and hear him who says: Come and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, and to the house of our God, who makes our feet like hind's feet, and sets us upon high places, that we might be victors with His song.
Run, I beseech you, with him who said: Let us hasten until we attain to the unity of faith and of the knowledge of God, unto a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, who, when He was baptized in the thirtieth year of His visible age, fulfilled the thirtieth step in the spiritual ladder; since God is indeed love, to whom be praise, dominion, power, in whom is and was and will be the cause of all goodness throughout endless ages. Amen. - Saint John Climacus, 7th Century
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
May God the Father, and the Eternal High Priest Jesus Christ, build us up in faith and truth and love, and grant to us our portion among the saints with all those who believe on our Lord Jesus Christ. We pray for all saints, for kings and rulers, for the enemies of the Cross of Christ, and for ourselves we pray that our fruit may abound and we may be made perfect in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.
—Polycarp, 2nd century
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#6]
‪‪Psalms‬ ‭76‬:‭2‬-‭7‬, ‭12‬-‭15‬ ‭‬‬

“I cried to the Lord with my voice; to God with my voice, and he gave ear to me. In the day of my trouble I sought God, with my hands lifted up to him in the night, and I was not deceived. My soul refused to be comforted: I remembered God, and was delighted, and was exercised, and my spirit swooned away. My eyes prevented the watches: I was troubled, and I spoke not. I thought upon the days of old: and I had in my mind the eternal years. And I meditated in the night with my own heart: and I was exercised and I swept my spirit. I remembered the works of the Lord: for I will be mindful of thy wonders from the beginning. And I will meditate on all thy works: and will be employed in thy inventions. Thy way, O God, is in the holy place: who is the great God like our God? Thou art the God that dost wonders. Thou hast made thy power known among the nations:”
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.
Amen.
View Quote
Especially praying for those that desire to wield political power through the deaths of the unborn.

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 4:10:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#8]
Especially praying for those that desire to wield political power through the deaths of the unborn.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.
Amen.

We must always pray for them and ourselves, so long as the living body breathes, it is not too late.  This is the hardest part about being a follower of Jesus Christ, willing the good of our fellow man no matter how wretched he may be in our eyes, it isn't up to us.  We don't know God's plan, pride in thinking otherwise makes us no better than our enemy.

*No, I'm not condoning we lay down our swords, Christianity isn't pacifism.

Ex-Abortionist Tells His Story w/ Dr. John Bruchalski

Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:32:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#9]
Heavenly and almighty Father,
through the gift of free will Thou hast given Satan permission to tempt and to corrupt;
Grant us the fortitude to embrace the grace You have given us to rebuke him,
and to forgive those who failed and succumbed to him in a most wretched way;
Who have destroyed human life before it had a chance to know You, to love You, and to worship You.
I offer myself as a father willing to adopt spiritually an unborn child;
Bless me with the strength and will of St. Joseph, Your most blessed earthly father,
to love that child and to give it the chance at beatification that was so selfishly taken,
to baptize him or her in my tears if You deem them worthy,
to accept Your flesh as I desire, spiritually as life-giving nourishment,
and to offer my prayers, sufferings, graces, and experiences as life for the unborn.
Hear my prayer, oh Lord,
Delight in it and show us Thy wonders;
Bless You, my Lord.  Amen
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Heavenly and almighty Father,
through the gift of free will Thou hast given Satan permission to tempt and to corrupt;
Grant us the fortitude to embrace the grace You have given us to rebuke him,
and to forgive those who failed and succumbed to him in a most wretched way;
Who have destroyed human life before it had a chance to know You, to love You, and to worship You.
I offer myself as a father willing to adopt spiritually an unborn child;
Bless me with the strength and will of St. Joseph, Your most blessed earthly father,
to love that child and to give it the chance at beatification that was so selfishly taken,
to baptize him or her in my tears if You deem them worthy,
to accept Your flesh as I desire, spiritually as life-giving nourishment,
and to offer my prayers, sufferings, graces, and experiences as life for the unborn.
Hear my prayer, oh Lord,
Delight in it and show us Thy wonders;
Bless You, my Lord.  Amen
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 8:30:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#11]
Heavenly Father, almighty Lord, I need Your grace;
I come to You this morning in humility and reverence,
in fasting for the dignity and the souls of the unborn,
and for the soul of this nation.
I offer this penance and pray for all those lost;
the victims who never had a chance at life,
and those who deprived them of it.
“Is not this rather the fast that I have chosen?
Loose the bands of wickedness, undo the bundles that oppress.
Let them that are broken go free: and break asunder every burden.” ‭‭(Isaias 58‬:‭6‬)
My soul will not be a follower of earthly desires, with the strength of Jesus Christ I will abstain;
As I withhold food from my body, give me the power to withhold sin from my soul.
You are the only sustenance I need, You are the nourishment my heart burns for, You are my daily bread.
Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil.
“Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thy health shall speedily arise,
and thy justice shall go before thy face, and the glory of the Lord shall gather thee up.” ‭‭(Isaias 58‬:‭8‬). Amen.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Instead of the epistle for tomorrow, this is the gospel reading for today, Feast of Saint Martin of Tours.

Happy Martinmas!

Luke 11: 33-36

At that time, Jesus said to His disciples:
No man lighteth a candle, and putteth it
in a hidden place, nor under a bushel:
but upon a candlestick, that they that
come in may see the light. The light of
thy body is thine eye. If thine eye be
single, thy whole body will be
lightsome; but if it be evil, thy body also
will be darksome. Take heed therefore
that the light which is in thee be not
darkness. If then thy whole body be
lightsome, having no part of darkness,
the whole shall be lightsome, and as a
bright lamp shall enlighten thee.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Gospel for today:  it’s fitting if I may say so.

St Matthew 13: 24-30

At that time Jesus spoke this parable to
the multitudes: The kingdom of heaven
is likened to a man that sowed good
seed in his field. But while men were
asleep, his enemy came and
oversowed cockle among the wheat,
and went his way. And when the blade
was sprung up and had brought forth
fruit, then appeared also the cockle.
And the servants of the good man of
the house coming, said to him: Sir,
didst thou not sow good seed in thy
field? Whence then hath it cockle? And
he said to them: An enemy hath done
this. And the servants said to him: Wilt
thou that we go and gather it up? And
he said: No, lest perhaps, gathering up
the cockle, you root up the wheat also
together with it. Suffer both to grow
until the harvest, and in the time of the
harvest I will say to the reapers: Gather
up first the cockle and bind it into
bundles to burn, but the wheat gather
ye into my barn.

Laus tbi, Christe!  We need You, most sacred heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#14]
O God, come to my assistance.
(hymn)
Come Holy Ghost, with God the Son and God the Father ever one:
Shed forth Thy grace within our breast,
And dwell with us, a ready guest.
By every power, by heart and tongue,
By act and deed, Thy praise be sung:
Inflame with perfect love and sense,
That others’ souls may kindle thence.
O Father, that we ask be done
Through Jesus Christ, Thine only Son,
Who, with the Holy Ghost and Thee,
Shall live and reign eternally.  Amen. - Monastic Diurnal, Weekday Terce
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#15]
For Bishop Strickland, what he represents as the spear of a righteous army, and for the Church; we are under siege:

Lord Jesus Christ,
I wish to hear Thy beautiful voice again; Thy words, this too, shall pass.
The army of the dark prince comes as a hurricane;
The floodwaters rise and the tempest rages,
the waves crash against the fortress walls as the great mustard tree stands tall within.
Nourished by the eternal water poured forth from Thy side,
the roots of the tree drive ever deeper into the earth as it stands firm against the whirlwind.
In this seemingly relentless storm, I look up to Thee and ask;
Will this ever end?  
I am forever comforted by Thy tranquil response;
This too, shall pass.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Mary, most holy Mother,
wrap us in thy healing embrace,
comfort us in thy arms while in this exile,
while we await the most blessed fruit of thy womb, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#17]
'Now therefore saith the Lord: Be converted to me with all your heart, in fasting, and in weeping, and in mourning
And rend your hearts, and not your garments, and turn to the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, patient and rich in mercy, and ready to repent of the evil. '

Joel 2:12-13
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Merciful Lord, the Comforter and Teacher of Thy faithful people, increase in Thy Church the desires which Thou hast given, and confirm the hearts of those who hope in Thee by enabling them to understand the depth of Thy promises, that all Thine adopted sons may even now behold, with the eyes of faith, and patiently wait for, the light which as yet Thou dost not openly manifest; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. —Ambrose, 4th Century
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Epistle for tomorrow, 6th Sunday after Epiphany:

1 Thess. 1:2-10
Brethren: We give thanks to God always for you all, continually making a remembrance of you in our prayers; being mindful before God our Father of your work of faith, and labor, and charity, and your enduring hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. We know, brethren, beloved of God, how you were chosen. For our Gospel was not delivered to you in word only, but in power also, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much fullness, as indeed you know what manner of men we have been among you for your sakes. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, receiving the word in great tribulation, with joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became a pattern to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For from you the word of the Lord has been spread abroad, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but in every place your faith in God has gone forth, so that we need say nothing further. For they themselves report concerning us how we entered among you, and how you turned to God from idols, to serve the living and true God, and to await from heaven Jesus, His Son, Whom He raised from the dead, Who has delivered us from the wrath to come.

Deo Gratias!
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:25:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#20]
Gospel for today, 6th Sunday after Epiphany:

Matt 13:31-35
At that time, Jesus spoke this parable to the crowds: The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field. This indeed is the smallest of all the seeds; but when it grows up it is larger than any herb and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and dwell in its branches. He told them another parable: The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took and buried in three measures of flour, until all of it was leavened. All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables, and without parables he did not speak to them; that what was spoken by the prophet might be fulfilled, I will open My mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the foundation of the world.

Laus tibi, Christe!
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Heavenly Father,
I love Thee above all, with all my soul, all my mind, and all my heart;
You laid out a path before me and though it seemed difficult,
I knew You would be with me,
even amidst the greatest of sacrifices.
Once I grasped the true meaning of worship,
once I understood that it wasn’t about me,
that it wasn’t about my earthly wants, needs, and desires,
that I had loved and revered who I wanted You to be instead of who You truly are;
That’s when I was able to make peace with the sacrifices You willed me to make,
and to walk the path with Christ to His Church.
Thank You, O Lord,
for this peace You have blessed me with.
Amen
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Every day from twelve to three,
I remember Calvary.
Pain of crucifixion fierce!
Sword that did my Mother pierce,
She stood motionless in tears,
All around resounded jeers.

Every day from twelve to three,
I remember Calvary.
How my Lord hung there in pain,
So that I might Heaven gain;
Teaching me how to forgive;
Although dying, how to live.

Eerie darkness everywhere,
Yet a thief's brave public prayer;
So I try to pray and say:
Make me, Lord, repent today.

So I honor Mother Mary,
Who stands bravely, not contrary,
To our Heavenly Father's Will;
She keeps praying, praying still.

Let me, Lord, relieve Your thirst;
Of complaints this is Your first,
Only one on Calvary:
Thirst for souls, for souls like me.

Don't stop praying!
Prayer is such a privilege!
Prayer is such a joy!
Those who hate us would by all means,
If they could, destroy.

Holy reading is the next thing,
That our foes would stop;
We must listen to the Lord,
And never good books drop.

- Sr Wilhelmina, Benedictines of Mary, 20th Century
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#23]
We most earnestly beseech Thee, O Thou Lover of mankind, to bless all Thy people, the flocks of Thy fold. Send down into our hearts the peace of heaven, and grant us also the peace of this life. Give life to the souls of all of us, and let no deadly sin prevail against us, or any of Thy people. Deliver all who are in trouble, for Thou art our God, who settest the captives free; who givest hope to the hopeless, and help to the helpless; who liftest up the fallen; and who art the Haven of the shipwrecked. Give Thy pity, pardon, and refreshment to every Christian soul, whether in affliction or error. Preserve us, in our pilgrimage through this life from hurt and danger, and grant that we may end our lives as Christians, well-pleasing to Thee and free from sin, and that we may have our portion and lot with all Thy saints. Amen. —Liturgy of St. Mark, 3rd Century
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#24]
O God, the God of spirits and of all flesh, who art beyond compare, and standest in need of nothing, who hast given the sun to have rule over the day, and the moon and the stars to have rule over the night, do Thou now also look down upon us with gracious eyes, and receive our morning thanksgivings, and have mercy upon us; for we have not “spread out our hands unto a strange God;” for there is not among us any new God, but Thou, the eternal God, who art without end, who hast given us our being through Christ, and given us our well-being through Him. Do Thou vouchsafe us also, through Him, eternal life; with whom glory, and honour, and worship be to Thee and to the Holy Spirit forever. Amen.
—Apostolic Constitutions, 4th Century
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:16:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#25]
We render unto Thee our thanksgiving, O Lord our God, Father of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, by all means, at all times, in all places. For that Thou hast sheltered, assisted, supported, and led us on through the time past of our life, and brought us to this hour. And we pray and beseech Thee, O God and loving Lord, grant us to pass this day, this year, and all the time of our life without sin, with all joy, health, and salvation. But all envy, all fear, all temptation, all the working of Satan, do Thou drive away, O God, from us, and from Thy holy Church. Supply us with things good and profitable. Whereinsoever we have sinned against Thee, in word, or deed, or thought, be Thou pleased in Thy love and goodness to forgive, and forsake us not, O God, who hope in Thee, neither lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one and from his works; by the grace and compassion of Thine only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.
—Liturgy of St. Mark, 3rd Century

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Epistle for tomorrow:

Colossians 1: 9-14
Brethren, we cease not to pray for you,
and to beg that you may be filled with
the knowledge of the will of God, in all
wisdom and spiritual understanding
that you may walk worthy of God, in all
things pleasing, being fruitful in every
good work, and increasing in the
knowledge of God; strengthened with
all might according to the power of His
glory, in all patience and long suffering
with joy giving thanks to God the
Father, who hath made us worthy to be
partakers of the lot of the saints in light:
who hath delivered us from the power
of darkness, and hath translated us into
the kingdom of the Son of His love, in
whom we have redemption through His
Blood, the remission of sins.

Deo Gratias!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you brother for doing this. I read these every day
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
Thank you brother for doing this. I read these every day
View Quote

You’re welcome, my brother.

I got carried away loading up guns this morning and nearly forgot y’all.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Gospel for today, last Sunday after Pentecost:

Matthew 24: 13-25
At that time, Jesus said to His disciples:
When you shall see the abomination of
desolation which was spoken of by
Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy
place (he that reads, let him
understand:) then they that are in
Judea, let them flee to the mountains
and he that is on the housetop, let him
not come down to take anything out of
his house and he that is in the field, let
him not go back to take his coat. And
woe to them that are with child and that
give suck, in those days. But pray that
your flight be not in the winter, or on the
sabbath: for there shall be then great
tribulation, such as hath not been found
from the beginning of the world until
now, neither shall be: and unless those
days had been shortened, no flesh
should be saved; but for the sake of the
elect, those days shall be shortened.
Then if any man shall say to you: Lo,
here is Christ, or there; do not believe
him:
for there shall arise false Christs,
and false prophets, and shall show
great signs and wonders, insomuch as
to deceive (if possible) even the elect.
Behold I have told it to you beforehand.
If therefore they shall say to you:
Behold, he is in the desert, go ye not
out. Behold He is in the closets, believe
it not. For as lightning cometh out of the
east, and appeareth even into the west,
so shall also the coming of the Son of
Man be: Wheresoever the body shall
be, there shall the eagles also be
gathered together. And immediately
after the tribulation of those days, the
sun shall be darkened, and the moon
shall not give her light, and the stars
shall fall from the heaven, and the
powers of heaven shall be moved and
then shall appear the sign of the Son of
Man in heaven, and then shall all the
tribes of the earth mourn; and they
shall see the Son of Man coming in the
clouds of heaven with much power and
majesty. And He shall send His angels
with a trumpet and a loud voice, and
they shall gather together His elect
from the four winds, from the farthest
parts of the heavens to the utmost
bounds of them. And from the fig tree
learn a parable: when the branch
thereof is now tender, and the leaves
come forth, you know that summer is
nigh. So you also, when you shall see
all these things, know ye that ìt is nigh
at the doors. Amen I say to you that this
generation shall not pass till all these
things be done. Heaven and earth shall
pass away, but My words shall not pass
away.

Laus tibi, Christe!
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#30]
O holy Spirit, Love of God, infuse Thy grace, and descend plentifully into my heart; enlighten the dark corners of this neglected dwelling, and scatter there Thy cheerful beams; dwell in that soul that longs to be Thy temple; water that barren soil, over-run with weeds and briars, and lost for want of cultivating, and make it fruitful with Thy dew from heaven. Oh come, Thou refreshment of them that languish and faint. Come, Thou Star and Guide of them that sail in the tempestuous sea of the world; Thou only Haven of the tossed and shipwrecked. Come, Thou Glory and Crown of the living, and only Safeguard of the dying. Come, Holy Spirit, in much mercy, and make me fit to receive Thee. Amen. —Augustine, 4th Century
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#31]
O Holy Ghost,
Who proceeds from the Father and Son,
enveloping the world;
I give thanks and beseech Thee;
Flood my heart with Thy passion,
Steady my mind with Thy purity,
And comfort my soul with Thy grace.
Amen
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#32]
"Lord Jesus, fill me with Your Holy Spirit that I may grow in wisdom and knowledge of Your love and truth. Free me from stubborn pride and willfulness that I may wholly desire to do what is pleasing to You."
View Quote
I really like this. Thank you!

Also, I'm happy that I found this sub.  

I close with saying that in my daily prayers, while I feel I am not very eloquent, I do ask that I be brought closer to the Lord, know him better, be more like or worthy of him and finally that those of no faith somehow discover it for themselves themselves.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By smullen:

I close with saying that in my daily prayers, while I feel I am not very eloquent, I do ask that I be brought closer to the Lord, know him better, be more like or worthy of him and finally that those of no faith somehow discover it for themselves themselves.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smullen:
"Lord Jesus, fill me with Your Holy Spirit that I may grow in wisdom and knowledge of Your love and truth. Free me from stubborn pride and willfulness that I may wholly desire to do what is pleasing to You."

Glad to have you here, brother!  

Ave Maria et Deo Gratias!
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Enlighten, O our Lord and God, the movements of our meditations to hear and understand the sweet listenings to Thy life-giving and divine commands; and grant unto us through Thy grace and mercy to gather from them the assurance of love, and hope, and salvation suitable to soul and body, and we shall sing to Thee everlasting glory without ceasing and always, O Lord of all. Amen. —Liturgy of the Blessed Apostles, 5th Century
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Today is the feast day of Saint Andrew who was martyred in Greece in 60 AD.  As he was dying on an X shaped cross he is said to have prayed these wonderful words;

O good cross, made beautiful by the body of the Lord, long have I desired thee, ardently have I loved thee, unceasingly have I sought thee, and now thou art ready for my eager soul. Receive me from among men and restore me to my Master, so that He, who redeemed me through thee, shalt receive me through thee. Amen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#36]
“And a great storm of wind arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already filling.
But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care if we perish?”
And he awoke and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
He said to them, “Why are you afraid? Have you no faith?” “
(Mark 4:37-40)

Heavenly Father,
As we meditate on the divine majesty that is Thy Word made Flesh;
by our faith in Thee, cast out our fear and grant us peace.
May we, the faithful Bride of Thy Son, Thy holy Church;
offer unfailing reverence and rend our trust in Thee,
in this mighty Ark upon the raging sea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Forgetting the faith of the early Church fathers is to forego the true meaning of Advent.
Just as the sentinels wait for the dawn, we are without Christ as He is yet to come. 4 weeks of Advent, 4000 years of prophets and prophecy, and Israel waiting for the Messias.  Theotokos, the Mother of God, the Ark of the New and Eternal Covenant is with child; the Manna from Heaven, the Word made Flesh, the High Priest, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As we await the birth of our Lord, God incarnate, we look back to the prophets and the Saints with reverence; we look back on our life and our path here, an examination of conscience, how we can be as they were. We are to be ready for the thief in the night, when this world shall pass away. We await not only the birth but the second coming of our Lord, we must always don the wedding gown He has given us; for many are called, but few are chosen.

Epistle reading for tomorrow, the First Sunday of Advent:

Romans 13: 11-14
Brethren, knowing that it is now the
hour for us to rise from sleep. For now
our salvation is nearer than when we
believed. The night is past and the day
is at hand. Let us therefore cast off the
works of darkness, and put on the
armor of light. Let us walk honestly, as
in the day: not in rioting and
drunkenness, not in chambering and
impurities, not in contention and envy:
but put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Deo Gratias!
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#38]
The Season of Advent begins on the 4th Sunday before Christmas. This time is set aside by the Church to bring before our eyes the Incarnation of our Lord, the coming of Jesus Christ through Grace, and the coming of our Lord on the Last Day to judge the living and the dead.
The proper Christian sentiments to be developed during this time are: penance and an ardent love, worthily preparing men for the Feast of the Savior's birth.
On the first day of the Liturgical Year, the Church commemorates the manifestation of our Lord's love for men by His Incarnation and by His Second Coming as the Judge of the World. Jesus our Lord will reward those who yearn for Him and await Him:
"No one who waits
for You shall be put to shame."

Tridentine Mass Gospel reading for today, First Sunday in Advent:

Luke 21: 25-33
At that time Jesus said to His disciples:
There shall be signs in the sun, and in
the moon, and in the stars; and upon
the earth distress of nations, by reason
of the confusion of the roaring of the
sea and of the waves: men withering
away for fear and expectations of what
shall come upon the whole world. For
the powers of heaven shall be moved.
And then they shall see the Son of Man
coming in a cloud with great power and
majesty. But when these things begin
to come to pass, look up and lift up
your heads, because your redemption
is at hand. And He spoke to them a
similitude: See the fig tree and all the
trees: when they now shoot forth their
fruit, you know that summer is nigh. So
you also, when you shall see these
things come to pass, know that the
kingdom of God is at hand. Amen, I say
to you, this generation shall not pass
away till all things be fulfilled. Heaven
and earth shall pass away: but My
words shall not pass away.

Laus tibi, Christe!
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:00:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#39]
Creator of the stars of night,
Thy people's everlasting light,
Jesus redeemer, save us all
And hear Thy servants when they call.

Thou, grieving that the ancients curse
Should doom to death a universe,
Hast found the medicine full of grace
To save and heal a ruined race.

Thou camest, the Bride-groom of the Bride,
As drew the world to evening tide,
Proceeding from a Virgin shrine
The spotless victim all divine.

At Whose dread Name all majestic now
All knees must bend, all hearts must bow;
All things celestial Thee shall own
And things terrestrial, Lord alone.

O Thou Whose coming is with dread
To judge and doom the quick and dead,
Preserve us, while we dwell below
From every insult of the foe.

To God the Father, God the Son,
And God the Spirit, Three in One,
Praise, honor, might and glory be
From age to age eternally.
Amen.

"Rorate Caeli" Drop down dew, ye heavens, from above,
and let the clouds rain the Just One.
Let the earth be opened, and bud forth the Savior.
Behold, the Name of the Lord comes from afar,
and His glory fills all the earth. (Isaias 45:8, adapted)
Amen.

- Saint Benedict's Breviary, Monastic Diurnal, Rorate Caeli
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:02:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#40]
' Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. And Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting, because the cloud abode upon it, and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. '

Exodus 40:34-35

' And Mary said to the angel, “How shall this be, since I have no husband?” And the angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God. '

Luke 1:34-35

Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto, Ave Maria, Dei Genetrix.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#41]
December 6th is the Feast of Saint Nikolaos, Bishop of Myra in the 4th century.

Most Holy Trinity,
in honor of Thy Divine Majesty and Thy Saint, Bishop Nikolaos of Myra;
I offer my body in fasting, my heart in love, and my soul in prayer,
for this life Thou hast gifted me, though unworthy, Thou saved,
from the threshold of eternal darkness.
Heavenly Father, almighty God, I beseech Thee,
grant me Thy grace to submit fully to Thy presence;
Rage upon my soul as if thereupon a great sea arose a mighty tempest,
leaving behind an intensely serene calm,
so that it gleams brightly the perfectly still reflection of Thy Son,
my most beloved Savior, Jesus Christ;
And for Thy most Holy Ghost to flow freely through me,
without ripple, without wave,
into all that I do and all that I say,
filling my thoughts and sharpening my sword.
O Holy Trinity,
Thou art my light, my peace, my sanctuary,
to Thee I give my thanks.
Saint Nikolaos, pray for me;
May our Holy Father never cease His miracles through thee.
Amen.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#42]
O God, who hast taught us Thy divine and saving oracles, enlighten the souls of us sinners for the comprehension of the things which have been before spoken, so that we may not only be seen to be hearers of spiritual things, but also doers of good deeds, striving after guileless faith, blameless life, and pure conversation.

Release, pardon, and forgive, O God, all our voluntary and involuntary sins, such as we have committed in action and in word, knowingly and ignorantly, by night and by day, in mind and thought, forgive us all in goodness and love.

Sanctify, O Lord, our souls, bodies and spirits; examine our minds and search our consciences; take from us all evil imaginations, all impurity of thought, all inclinations to lust, all depravity of conception, all envy, pride and hypocrisy, all falsehood, deceit and irregular living, all covetousness, vain glory and sloth; all malice, anger and wrath, all remembrance of injuries, all blasphemy and every motion of flesh and spirit that is contrary to the purity of Thy Will. Amen.
—Liturgy of St. James, 2nd Century

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#43]
In honor of The Immaculate Conception of Mary, this day we feast!  A new Ark, for the New and Eternal Covenant, free from the blemish and stain of sin, was created by God for Himself this day.

Truly, "you are blessed among women."
For you have changed Eve's curse into a blessing;
and Adam, who hitherto lay under a curse,
has been blessed because of you.

Truly, you are blessed among women.
Through you the Father's blessing has shone forth on mankind,
setting them free of their ancient curse.

Truly, you are blessed among women,
because through you
your forebears have found salvation.
For you were to give birth to the Savior
who was to win them salvation.

for without seed you have borne, as your fruit,
him who bestows blessings on the whole world
and redeems it from that curse
that made it sprout thorns.

because, though a woman by nature,
you will become, in reality, God's mother.
If he whom you are to bear is truly God made flesh,
then rightly do we call you God's mother.
For you have truly given birth to God.

Sophronius, 7th Century
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Epistle for tomorrow, the Second Sunday of Advent:

Romans 15: 4-13
Brethren, What things soever were
written, were written for our learning:
that, through patience and the comfort
of the Scriptures, we might have hope.
Now the God of patience and of
comfort grant you to be of one mind
according to Jesus Christ, that with one
mind and one mouth you may glorify
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus
Christ. Wherefore receive one another,
as Christ also hath received you unto
the honor of God. For I say that Christ
Jesus was minister of the circumcision
for the truth of God, to confirm the
promises made unto the fathers: but
that the Gentiles are to glorify God for
His mercy, as it is written: Therefore will
I confess to Thee, O Lord, among the
Gentiles, and will sing to Thy Name.
And again He saith: Rejoice, ye
Gentiles, with His people. And again:
Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles, and
magnify Him, all ye people. And again,
Isaias saith: There shall be a root of
Jesse; and He that shall rise up to rule
the Gentiles, in Him the Gentiles shall
hope. Now the God of hope fill you with
all joy and peace in believing: that you
may abound in hope, and in the power
of the Holy Spirit.

Deo Gratias!
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Gospel for today, Second Sunday of Advent:

Matthew 11: 2-10
At that time, when John had heard in
prison the works of Christ, sending two
of his disciples, he said to Him: Art thou
He that art to come, or look we for
another? And Jesus, making answer,
said to them: Go and relate to John
what you have heard and seen. The
blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are
cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead rise
again, the poor have the gospel
preached to them: and blessed is he
that shall not be scandalized in Me.
And when they went their way, Jesus
began to say to the multitudes
concerning John: What went you out
into the desert to see? A reed shaken
with the wind? But what went you out to
see? A man clothed in soft garments?
Behold they that are clothed in soft
garments are in the houses of kings.
But what went you out to see? A
prophet? Yea I tell you, and more than
a prophet. For this is he of whom it is
written: Behold, I send my Angel before
Thy face, who shall prepare Thy way
before Thee.

Laus tibi, Christe!
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#46]
For the Priesthood:
O God, Whose ways are all mercy and truth, carry on Thy gracious work, and bestow, by Thy benefits, what human frailty cannot attain; that they who attend upon the heavenly mysteries may be grounded in perfect faith, and shine forth conspicuous by the purity of their souls; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
—Leonine Sacramentary, 5th Century
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
- Catholic Monks, 5th Century
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#48]
'And David was afraid of the Lord that day, saying: How shall the ark of the Lord come to me? '
2 Kings 6:9

'And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? '
St Luke 1:43

Ave Maria et Deo Gratias!
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#49]
O Holy Spirit of God, very God, Who didst descend upon Christ at the River Jordan, and upon the Apostles in the upper chamber, we have sinned against heaven and before Thee; purify us again, we beseech Thee, with Thy Divine fire, and have mercy upon us; for Christ’s sake. Amen. —Nerses of Clajes, 4th Century
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#50]
'And the ark of the Lord abode in the house of Obededom the Gethite three months: and the Lord blessed Obededom, and all his household. '
2 Kings 6:11

'And Mary abode with her about three months; and she returned to her own house. '
St Luke 1:56

Deo Gratias et laus tibi, Christe!
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top