Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/18/2024 6:42:43 PM EDT
About 10 days ago, a man called Vance asked a woman on a date. The pair matched on an app and then exchanged numbers to arrange to meet up. "Hope you've had a good day," Vance texted. "I'm excited for tomorrow. I can pick you up but if you're not comfortable with that we can just meet there   I'm feeling like getting some ice cream in this hot weather". Adding an emoji and a "lol" to his message, he sat back to wait for his date's enthusiastic response. Because who in their right mind wouldn't want to grab an ice cream in hot weather with someone they fancy? Vance must have thought he was displaying the holy trinity of first-date behaviour: considerate, casual, cute. Unfortunately, his date didn't see it that way.

"Sorry if this may come off as rude but I don't do ice cream dates," the woman responded. "I'm a 26-year-old woman and a date like that seems like the absolute bare minimum to me. Meeting up would be a waste of both of our times [sic] since we probably don't have the same vibe." She signed off with a cutting "best wishes".

At this point, you might be wondering how I know all this. I have never met Vance. I haven't met his ice cream-averse date either. So how am I privy to this personal message exchange, which, while being fairly unhinged, is also ultimately quite banal? The answer, of course, is that someone posted a screenshot of the conversation on Twitter.

Perhaps it speaks to our dire timelines in the Elon Musk era, but recently Twitter has been awash with screenshots like this. Most are taken from Hinge, or occasionally another dating app and most follow a similar pattern: One person, usually a dude, makes an attempt to flirt, or suggests a date idea that the other person, usually a girl, takes as a terrible insult to their personhood. Or as proof that all men are crap at flirting. Or crap at conversations. Or crap at planning things. Or are probably creeps anyway. This is underlined by the accompanying caption, which usually goes something like, "the bar is ON THE FLOOR", "I am so tired", or "just let out the biggest sigh of my life".

View Quote
moar
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So she was more interested in emptying his wallet than getting to know his personality?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Ice Cream/Coffee/Drinks= getting to know you in a low-key public situation so I can evaluate whether or not to continue the courtship before shelling out more money for a fancy dinner or two.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
So she was more interested in emptying his wallet than getting to know his personality?
View Quote

Yeah, nothing but a steak and lobster dinner for a first date or you’re a poor.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
A few years down the road:

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Is that my second ex-wife?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
She probably wasn’t that attracted to him and was hoping to get some free stuff before kicking him to the curb. It worked out the best for the guy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:
Ice Cream/Coffee/Drinks= getting to know you in a low-key public situation so I can evaluate whether or not to continue the courtship before shelling out more money for a fancy dinner or two.
View Quote

And park far, far away so she can't evaluate your ride.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
She has the right to set a price, that's just capitalism.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
We really need to legalize prostitution nationwide.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
He's lucky, she saved him some time before figuring out she crazy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
View Quote

Marriage is legal sir
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Elijah1:

View Quote

For that I’d make her drive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
And park far, far away so she can't evaluate your ride.

Kharn
View Quote

Or borrow the neighbor kid's beater with a heater for the date.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I recall a similar thread a few years ago here where the guy's opening line was something like, "I want to eat your ass.....is that cool with you?"

That line was successful about 75% of the time.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
She's not wrong.  The person who wrote the article that is.

It's easy to forget this is the equivalent of detailing a private conversation with someone because something you didn't like happened.

It's generally to be avoided unless the situation is very dire or concerning.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Exactly how I saw it too.

I haven't dated in 25 years, but ice cream, coffee, etc... seems like a perfect first date.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Colt1860:
View Quote

Ooooffff.gif
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Elijah1:

View Quote

I have money and refuse to take girls to dinner on first dates.

Not about the money. It’s about wasting time and they’re usually not worth dinner.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:16:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jollyg83] [#20]
View Quote

Interesting point and he has the right to set the standard of goods accepted.  

Conservative woman, attractive, healthy, within breeding age and health, submissive demeanor to conservative husband.  Capable of rearing children and keeping house while husband works to provide for the household.  

I mean if we’re going to reduce ourselves to livestock level transactions then let’s be clear about what we expect to get in the transaction.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ISED8U:
I recall a similar thread a few years ago here where the guy's opening line was something like, "I want to eat your ass.....is that cool with you?"

View Quote

In for more dating advice.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
I mean if we’re going to reduce ourselves to livestock level transactions then let’s be clear about what we expect to get in the transaction.
View Quote

I agree.  I think women are ultimately going to be disappointed with that arrangement but that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Yes. First dates are always cheap dates. This guy dodged a bullet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#25]
I pretty much gave up on American women a year or so ago. They're not worth it. The constant ghosting, especially after trying to set up date plans, was really starting to fuck with my mental health.

Thankfully, I met an incredible conservative foreign young lady through my medical school a couple of years ago. We were just "pen pals" for a while, but it has evolved into so much more than that. I have no doubt in my mind that she is the one (ugh, this sounds so mushy).
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:28:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowboundinNH] [#26]
That reminds me of the recent Tik-Tok trend of girls at the gym wearing see-through yoga pants, hiking them way up into their crotch to show off a massive camel toe, and bending over holding their ass in the air with all the details of their cooch visible, while they film the room waiting for a guy to glance over, then act outraged that some “perv” looked their way while they were acting like a whore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
If you watch F&F or Whatever, this seems to be the mindset of a lot of girls that are in the dating market.  They want a guy to drop $300 or more, in some cases a LOT more, on a first date.  There's even a term for girls that do this.  Foodie Call, was it?  It's insane to me that some think they can go for a guy's money and not eventually get called out on it.  I think it would be hilarious if there was something like a Gold Diggers Registry.  Just make it a website with nothing but gold digger texts and rejections.  Don't edit out the names or locations.  Put these women on the spot.  Shit behavior doesn't always need the cloak of anonymity.  Shame works.  

If I found myself back in the dating game, there would be two scenarios.  The first involves nothing more expensive than ice cream.  I want to get to know if you're out to date me or my wallet.  The second scenario is I take a random girl home from the bar and screw her after not spending a nickel.  Either are acceptable and I'm perfectly fine with either.  Many women's expectations seem to be completely out of line with reality.  They seem to want a man that they can't have but will impose the same expectations and demands on the guy they can have.  I guess the world needs cat ranchers, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By baxt3r:
If you watch F&F or Whatever, this seems to be the mindset of a lot of girls that are in the dating market.  They want a guy to drop $300 or more, in some cases a LOT more, on a first date.  There's even a term for girls that do this.  Foodie Call, was it?  It's insane to me that some think they can go for a guy's money and not eventually get called out on it.  I think it would be hilarious if there was something like a Gold Diggers Registry.  Just make it a website with nothing but gold digger texts and rejections.  Don't edit out the names or locations.  Put these women on the spot.  Shit behavior doesn't always need the cloak of anonymity.  Shame works.  

If I found myself back in the dating game, there would be two scenarios.  The first involves nothing more expensive than ice cream.  I want to get to know if you're out to date me or my wallet.  The second scenario is I take a random girl home from the bar and screw her after not spending a nickel.  Either are acceptable and I'm perfectly fine with either.  Many women's expectations seem to be completely out of line with reality.  They seem to want a man that they can't have but will impose the same expectations and demands on the guy they can have.  I guess the world needs cat ranchers, too.
View Quote

Coffee, ice cream, or the local micro-brewery. Those were my "first-date options". Non-negotiable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#29]
"Oh, I didn't know you were psychotic. Thanks for saving me from myself. Good luck with the cats"
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:
View Quote

Agree.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#31]
Originally Posted By JVD:
"Oh, I didn't know you were psychotic. Thanks for saving me from myself. Good luck with the cats"
View Quote

I was really beginning to miss the "If you voted for TRUMP, swipe left" messages in their bio sections. It was a GREAT way to sift out all of the loonies.

Now, every crazy THOT is back to being camouflaged.......although, the "Free Gaza/Palestine" messages are unmasking them again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:

I was really beginning to miss the "If you voted for TRUMP, swipe left" messages in their bio sections. It was a GREAT way to sift out all of the loonies.

Now, every crazy THOT is back to being camouflaged.......although, the "Free Gaza/Palestine" messages are unmasking them again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By W202fan90:
Originally Posted By JVD:

They started to realize the ratio of chads was leaning more right and voted with their pussies.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Boo fucking hoo.

She doesn't like women's bad behavior screenshotted and shared online... while they have their secret, women-only groups like "Are We Dating The Same Guy" where they love to trash any guy for any reason, publicly, and turn other women against him.

Women enjoyed being on the pedestal for a long time, but it's not that men stopped putting them up there... they fell off the pedestal themselves.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
View Quote

I agree. And sooner rather than later would great.  Federal funding for sexbot R&D would be good also.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
Boo fucking hoo.

She doesn't like women's bad behavior screenshotted and shared online... while they have their secret, women-only groups like "Are We Dating The Same Guy" where they love to trash any guy for any reason, publicly, and turn other women against him.

Women enjoyed being on the pedestal for a long time, but it's not that men stopped putting them up there... they fell off the pedestal themselves.
View Quote

She's actually calling out chicks in the article. Basically anyone who posts their dating interactions online for all to see.

The woman is only known as being a 26 year old woman is because it was in her message.  But that woman was okay doxing Vance because he wanted a simple date.

It's an interesting thing because most of these screenshots are coming from women to other women.  But instead of exposing men they're exposing themselves as bad people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#36]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

She's actually calling out chicks in the article. Basically anyone who posts their dating interactions online for all to see.

The woman is only known as being a 26 year old woman is because it was in her message.  But that woman was okay doxing Vance because he wanted a simple date.

It's an interesting thing because most of these screenshots are coming from women to other women.  But instead of exposing men they're exposing themselves as bad people.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
Boo fucking hoo.

The screenshot looks like it was actually taken by Vance.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Sucker should've said gelato
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#39]
When someone does something distasteful, be grateful. They’re showing you who they are so you don’t bother wasting your time and can move on to another if the billions of potential candidates out there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

And they say romance is dead. Lol.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#41]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#42]

I agree.  I think women are ultimately going to be disappointed with that arrangement but that's just me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jollyg83:

You are right about that, but what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

My first thought as well.

If he offered steak and lobster, she probably would have said yes.  Then when it's time for the bill and he wants to split it, she'd throw a tantrum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#44]
She's not wrong.  The person who wrote the article that is.

It's easy to forget this is the equivalent of detailing a private conversation with someone because something you didn't like happened.

It's generally to be avoided unless the situation is very dire or concerning.
View Quote

Yes, it is tacky and inconsiderate of the person posting the screenshot.

I think it is an indication of narcissism.   That woman was offended, and she wants to share it with the world to make her feel more self-reighteous.

So much narcissism and selfishness these days.

I think it is somewhat self-correcting though.  
There are going to be a lot of cat-ladies in the future who are so unpleasant they are never going to be married.  
Time is not on their side, either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#45]
There are a significant number of women who really aren't interested in actually dating.   The dating process is, for them, a free dinner, a couple of drinks, and an opportunity to stroke their own ego since they are being pursued.  After a couple of drinks, and a nice dinner they wouldn't actually pay for themselves, its off to look for the next free dinner....

I know of a couple of these leeches.  They are moderately attractive, really proud that they are "Strong independent women" but they have been parasitizing men for years.  Dating is a free luxury meal. Nothing more.....  Its actually a joke to some, and a few even run their own little informal competition:  Who can get some poor guy to simp out the most cash, so they can leave them high and dry.  Its a form of score keeping for these vampires.

Any expectation that says "I demand a $400 dinner date and expect the man to shell out a minimum of $XXXXX on a first date" is a clear red flag.  This woman is a parasite.   Act accordingly.....  While the odds are likely 10:1 that the date will merely and solely be a wallet-draining exercise, should you be "lucky" enough to move beyond the first date, you're going to be courting little Miss Hilton who is going to evaluate your worth exclusively in terms of how much money you can provide....  YOU dont matter.  Your sole function is to validate her....  

And, while she's judging you solely on your wallet and judging you for not meeting her minimum $200,000 /year salary requirements, Brad the unemployed ex-con down the street who lives in a busted down one bedroom junk apartment and drives a rusted hoopty is banging her ass off three times a week.  Because the dick is good and she likes bad boys....

There are red flags.  This is one of them.  Your job is to recognize the red flags and act accordingly...

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

If her opening line was "I want to suck your dick," you're saying you'd decline?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:

Exactly how I saw it too.

I haven't dated in 25 years, but ice cream, coffee, etc... seems like a perfect first date.
View Quote

There are a lot of things that can go wrong on a first date, such as a total lack of chemistry.  
It's actually quite stupid and wasteful to have an expensive formal date for the very first meeting.

Simple, informal first dates are the best practice, for those sincerely interested in a relationship.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Meh. Took the wife to Costco for a hotdog on second date.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:30:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#49]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Meh. Took the wife to Costco for a hotdog on second date.
View Quote

I bet you did. Did you do the deed in the secluded paper towel/toilet paper aisle, or in the bathroom stall?

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#50]
That gal inadvertently saved the poor chap a LOT of unnecessary headache and expense.   He probably should mail her a tip for the courtesy.

Way too many decent women out there to waste time on such a shallow narcissist.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top