Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2024 1:20:15 AM EDT
I have a 4 car garage I want to dehumidify and a 2400 sq ft garage I want to dehumidify.

This is on the Texas coast.  High heat and high...high humidity.

help me understand this. I see stuff from 100 bucks to thousands.

What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:27:54 AM EDT
[#1]
A dehumidifier is just a small air conditioner that exhausts its hot air back into the same room.

Might as well just get a small air conditioner and take whatever amount of cooling it can provide as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I put 2 mini splits in my shop in DFW.  I had to add humidifiers because it was getting too dry.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:48:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
A dehumidifier is just a small air conditioner that exhausts its hot air back into the same room.

Might as well just get a small air conditioner and take whatever amount of cooling it can provide as well.
View Quote

So, that seems like a good idea...but it isnt.

If you cool a garage/shop, (and everything in it) you will condensation on all those things.   Every time you open the garage doors, all your tools, cars and bikes will get condensation all over them. Especially where I live.

I actually want the benefit of not lowering the temp inside.

This is why people put heating devices  in gun safes.  It does nothing to dehumidify the safe. It raises the temp in the safe so that condensation with not form when you open the door. You want the items inside the safe warmer than the outside air.

Also, where I live, this issue is magnified to about the max level. When I open the front door to my house in the summer, the floors will get wet really fast if I do not shut the door quickly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I have this one:

https://www.costco.com/midea-smart-50-pint-dehumidifier-with-built-in-pump.product.4000234426.html

It works well; it has a pump that automatically pumps the tank empty when it’s getting full so you don’t have to manually empty it or gravity drain (although it does those too if you want) -If you set it to constant, it does raise the temperature nearby noticeably, however, if you set it to a specific humidity it doesn’t really make it much warmer (even at 35%). Its rated for up to 4’500 sq ft.. we’re about 2’000 and it’s handing it no problem on low fan.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:05:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a frigidaire going on 8 years without issue, sits on a shelf and drains into the shop sink.
Think i paid. $200 at the time.  
My shop is. ~1500 sqft, block, insulated attic, with sheet doors that are not really sealed.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have dealt with this in high humidity environments related to crawl spaces.  

Go big or go home.  This one has been fantastic and has a 5 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094PZ8YSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had some Sante Fe units but both failed.  To their credit they replaced one of them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#7]
AKA Air Conditioner thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
I've got a frigidaire going on 8 years without issue, sits on a shelf and drains into the shop sink.
Think i paid. $200 at the time.  
My shop is. ~1500 sqft, block, insulated attic, with sheet doors that are not really sealed.

View Quote

This is where you need to start. Is this area insulated? Does it have a vapor barrier? How high are the ceilings? Any insulation up there?

You have to make sure you’re controlling the envelope of your structure, or doing stuff inside will be impracticable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JTR:
I have this one:

https://www.costco.com/midea-smart-50-pint-dehumidifier-with-built-in-pump.product.4000234426.html

It works well; it has a pump that automatically pumps the tank empty when it’s getting full so you don’t have to manually empty it or gravity drain (although it does those too if you want) -If you set it to constant, it does raise the temperature nearby noticeably, however, if you set it to a specific humidity it doesn’t really make it much warmer (even at 35%). Its rated for up to 4’500 sq ft.. we’re about 2’000 and it’s handing it no problem on low fan.

View Quote

sweet!! Thanks, @JTR , that's just what I was looking for. Reloading in a garage in Florida where he humidity is often 80%+ blows. This would make it much more bearable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been looking at them myself for quite a while. It's been difficult finding one with better than mixed reviews. They all seem to suffer from a lack of longevity. So many reviews report that their specific unit lasted only a season or two before failing in some manner. It's very discouraging.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Mini split with "dry" mode.  Even if you don't lower the temp much.  It's amazing how much moisture they can remove.  Mine runs cheaper than my dehumidifier.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:49:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stlrain0341] [#12]
This has been running constantly in my garage for the last few years. Use a hose to drain. After I set the humidity I’ve never really thought about it again. Depending on how well your garage is sealed or how frequently you’re opening doors you might need something more powerful, but this has been a complete beast for what I use it for.

Amazon Product
  • Our dehumidifier removes up to 35 pints (50 Pint 2012 DOE Standard) of water from the air per day. This moisture-removing beast is fit for any basement, cellar or large room, and it\u2019s Energy Star certified, so it quickly and effectively absorbs moisture without racking up your energy bill.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Slimcake:
Mini split with "dry" mode.  Even if you don't lower the temp much.  It's amazing how much moisture they can remove.  Mine runs cheaper than my dehumidifier.....
View Quote

This is the answer. I have used Daikin inverter units to control humidity in data centers. Frankly it worked better than the Liebert units and used considerably less energy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Heat pump with hot gas reheat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JTR:
I have this one:

View Quote

I’m going to look into this one. I’m due for a new one. I have property an hour from my house with our hunting pole barn that’s finished with living quarters. I have to run a dehumidifier all summer here in MO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#16]
There is no cheap solution.

You live in the most humid area of the US, and this is high air-change space.

Ducted system, mini split, stand alone dehumidifiers - these can all do it, but will have the drawbacks of expense, efficiency, and less comfort, respectively.

Ducted systems will have higher initial costs.

Mini split systems might not be as mechanically effective as a ducted system.  But easier install.

Stand alone dehumidifiers solve the problem via a two-food process: vapor removal via condensation at the evaporator, and slightly raising the temperature of the space because the waste heat is rejected into the same space - for a space as large as this, however the temp rise would be negligible.

Garage doors aren't well sealed and the are opened fairly often.  It's an inefficient and costly space to condition.

Being on the Texas coast, you could be seeing dewpoints in the mid 70s for half the year, if not more.  This is not a favorable initial condition for a space that is already challenging.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Just double check the government’s recall list. I say this in every dehumidifier thread.

I’ve personally had 2 recalled, and in both cases I got a compensation check, which I used to buy new dehumidifiers.

Dehumidifiers are pretty much the bane of my existence, but I need them to keep my basement from getting gross and my tools from rusting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#18]
@bighumidity
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
[/thread]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By txgp17:
[/thread]
View Quote

Did you read my reply to his post?

Cooling these spaces is a bad idea. N
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#21]
Originally Posted By neshomamench:

If you cool a garage/shop, (and everything in it) you will condensation on all those things.   Every time you open the garage doors, all your tools, cars and bikes will get condensation all over them. Especially where I live.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In my industry, we refer to it as "controlled air" not conditioned air. If you keep the temperature above dew point, it won't condensate, or if you dry the air out you'll lower the dew point (inside). Of course like you said, open a large door and let all that warm moist air in and it flashes on everything that's below dew point.   I live in the same general area as you and when I first air conditioned my shop I thought it would be really cool to have 70* air when it's 105* outside and experienced what you are talking about, in only minutes it looked like I left a lawn sprinkler running inside the shop. I've found around 78* is the sweet spot for me but when we have a really humid spell and I anticipate the doors being open a lot, I'll up it to 80. I've had no condensation issues since my first "head up my ass" episode. I retired from the HVAC business and I know better.

Of course you'd need good insulation before attempting to control the air.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
There is no cheap solution.

You live in the most humid area of the US, and this is high air-change space.

Ducted system, mini split, stand alone dehumidifiers - these can all do it, but will have the drawbacks of expense, efficiency, and less comfort, respectively.

Ducted systems will have higher initial costs.

Mini split systems might not be as mechanically effective as a ducted system.  But easier install.

Stand alone dehumidifiers solve the problem via a two-food process: vapor removal via condensation at the evaporator, and slightly raising the temperature of the space because the waste heat is rejected into the same space - for a space as large as this, however the temp rise would be negligible.

Garage doors aren't well sealed and the are opened fairly often.  It's an inefficient and costly space to condition.

Being on the Texas coast, you could be seeing dewpoints in the mid 70s for half the year, if not more.  This is not a favorable initial condition for a space that is already challenging.

View Quote

This. I live in the same kind of climate and I don’t see how this wouldn’t run 24-7 except in fall and winter when it would still run half the time.  July, August and the first half of September it would run constantly and probably not help very much.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 4 car garage I want to dehumidify and a 2400 sq ft garage I want to dehumidify.

What do I need to know?
View Quote
Is it insulated? If so and you want climate control, check out mini-split HVAC systems. For traditional dehumidifiers, there are many to choose from and they all work about the same way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#24]

What do I need to know?
View Quote

Humidity moves via vapor pressure and will diffuse through your walls via osmosis. It will move upstream of airflow values up to several hundred feet per minute.

You don't want to just dehumidify, right? You probably want to cool the air too. Trying to pressurize a garage like the inside of your house via fresh air probably isn't realistic, and using a "dehumidifier" instead of an air conditioner will roast the inside of your garage as they reject the heat of the refrigeration cycle directly into the area they are dehumidifying.

I would just seal air cracks as best as possible and run a traditional residential air conditioner. Mini splits would be great but in my experience lack the latent heat capacity (dehumidification capacity) of traditional AHU style units, but since it's in a garage and will be running a lot anyways I don't see a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#25]

This is why people put heating devices  in gun safes.  It does nothing to dehumidify the safe. It raises the temp in the safe so that condensation with not form when you open the door. You want the items inside the safe warmer than the outside air.

Also, where I live, this issue is magnified to about the max level. When I open the front door to my house in the summer, the floors will get wet really fast if I do not shut the door quickly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you don't reject the heat outside you will overheat your garage.

Install an air conditioner with a much smaller capacity and set the setpoint to above the outside dewpoint. An uninsulated garage with two standard doors at 2400sqft probably would need 5+ tons of cooling. So, install a 2 ton unit. You don't need it to reach a sensible temperature, just remove the latent heat.

The only other option would be to install a more commercial type unit with a reheat configuration designed for dehumidification.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:
This has been running constantly in my garage for the last few years. Use a hose to drain. After I set the humidity I’ve never really thought about it again. Depending on how well your garage is sealed or how frequently you’re opening doors you might need something more powerful, but this has been a complete beast for what I use it for.

www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9MFTZZ

View Quote

I have two of these for the basement.  One had the auto defraust shit the bed which caused it to not work at all after one year.  They replaced it under warranty.

The two I have now are working well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

You don't need to cool it that much to remove the humidity. 5-10 below outdoor won't cause condensation and will dehumidify things significantly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Frigidaire FFAD3533W1 Dehumidifier, Moderate Humidity 35 Pint Capacity with a Easy-to-Clean Washable Filter and Custom Humidity Control for maximized comfort, in White
I got this from Amazon late last year, and so far it has been great, it is in my home.
The first one I received was damaged, somewhere, someone dropped the box and Amazon delivered it that way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#29]

What do I need to know?
View Quote

BiG HuMidIty NeEds BiG MaCHinEs!!

Good Luck OP!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BigHumidity:

If you don't reject the heat outside you will overheat your garage.

Install an air conditioner with a much smaller capacity and set the setpoint to above the outside dewpoint. An uninsulated garage with two standard doors at 2400sqft probably would need 5+ tons of cooling. So, install a 2 ton unit. You don't need it to reach a sensible temperature, just remove the latent heat.

The only other option would be to install a more commercial type unit with a reheat configuration designed for dehumidification.
View Quote

Mass transport?  Dewpoint?  Duty cycle vs raw capacity?

[sigh]Draw me ... like you draw your French girls."[/sigh]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
down here in SWFL we air condition garages after having the attic foamed. occasionally we do a ac with a 80 to 200 pint per day dehumidifier
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Beat like a rented mule!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Well worth it to prevent mold/rust, especially if you have high dollar things you want to protect, in my case it was machinery and old cars/parts
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Go commercial.  Desert Aire is the brand.

We've done these in the past with indoor swimming pools.  80*+ water, it's a steam bath without a Desert Aire.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought 2 of the same unit from Amazon. One was no good at delivery and the second was great for a year and died upon restarting, after being off all winter. Total loss and the foreigner disappeared. A hvac guy says they are all junk do to lousy soldiering.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Nowicanhitabarn:
I bought 2 of the same unit from Amazon. One was no good at delivery and the second was great for a year and died upon restarting, after being off all winter. Total loss and the foreigner disappeared. A hvac guy says they are all junk do to lousy soldiering.
View Quote
I suspect most are made in the same factory in China. Even the commercial grade units get mixed reviews from what I've seen. And those tend to cost big money. They just don't assemble them very well for some reason. The old ones used to last forever, so the tech exists to do them correctly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

This was my BIL’s experience with his Florida “toy barn”. He now uses a couple dehumidifiers that drain to the outside when the doors are closed and a couple BIG fans to keep air moving when the doors are open. That and keeping tools wiped down with a light oil and keeping things off the ground on pallets or shelves and he really doesn’t have problems with rust or mildew.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ops:
Go commercial.  Desert Aire is the brand.

We've done these in the past with indoor swimming pools.  80*+ water, it's a steam bath without a Desert Aire.
View Quote

Not sure if you meant AprilAire, but yes, OP needs a real dehumidifier, one that removes much more water per kW than any of the portable home dehumidifiers could. Just the electric cost of running a fleet of 50 pint home units would quickly outstrip the purchase price of a real dehumidifier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

Not sure if you meant AprilAire, but yes, OP needs a real dehumidifier, one that removes much more water per kW than any of the portable home dehumidifiers could. Just the electric cost of running a fleet of 50 pint home units would quickly outstrip the purchase price of a real dehumidifier.
View Quote

Desert-aire.com
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I live on Galveston Bay and have a AC unit for my garage. It works awesome. I love working on my garbage in the summer and winter equally now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I once used Calcium chloride in a 6 car garage they was used for keeping wood dry after drying. I just put it in a feed sack with a bucket under it. It worked well
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#42]

If you cool a garage/shop, (and everything in it) you will condensation on all those things.   Every time you open the garage doors, all your tools, cars and bikes will get condensation all over them. Especially where I live.  (snip)
View Quote

You are only partially correct.  If you set the AC around 80 degrees, it will dehumidify without getting could enough to make anything sweat in the summer.

I live on the Gulf Coast South of Houston and have been doing this for years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 545days:

You are only partially correct.  If you set the AC around 80 degrees, it will dehumidify without getting could enough to make anything sweat in the summer.

I live on the Gulf Coast South of Houston and have been doing this for years.
View Quote

This is what I do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top