Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
OP we should chat, I'm in Huntsville and Subaru just told me the EXACT same thing for my 2019 Ascent.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maslin02:
Taking an engine out for us is ~$5500 minimum, plus parts and whatever actual work you need done.

$4k is a steal, depending on what was done. You did not get a “rebuild”. Did you get headgaskets? Probably headgaskets, rear main, front crank seal, cam seals, valve cover seals, and reseal the front cover.

Probably pushing $15k at my shop, but we don’t work on Subarus.
View Quote

🤣😆😂. Holy shit.

I’m rebuilding the engine in my truck for $1500, including pistons and a new cam.  Glad I have tools and basic mechanical skills.

$15k for an engine “reseal”?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By runcible:
I'd be pissed if my 5 year-old car needed four grand worth of work.
View Quote

Ha, welcome to my world currently. Bought a 2018 Outback 3.6r on Jan 6th (lol). 2000mi /3mos later and the transmission has been grenaded by the clutch packs. Luckily, I had sprung for the extended warranty at purchase (how can I lose lol) because the service techs at Subaru recommended a full transmission replacement. That goes for about $9k for a brand new one, which they finally found 1 of 2 on the west coast. Oh, the entire infotainment screen had delamination going on as well. So, they recommended replacement of that as well to the tune of $1200 or so. Again, covered by the extended warranty. What's really annoying is that they've had the vehicle for 3wks now and nothing has been done because they were just allocated that transmission. Oh, and the dealership doesn't have enough loaner cars available. So, I've been renting from Enterprise for about 2wks, to the cost of about three car payments ($1000). This whole situation has been the absolute worst car buying experience I've ever had. All the problems were missed by the selling dealer and had begun shortly after the first month and they're claiming that it's not their problem. The only saving grace here is I spent the money on that extended warranty. If I hadn't, I may have just let it get stolen in Minecraft and driven until it was a burned-out hulk after being used by a bunch of hobos for a soup-kitchen....
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#4]
Originally Posted By neostoicism:

🤣😆😂. Holy shit.

I’m rebuilding the engine in my truck for $1500, including pistons and a new cam.  Glad I have tools and basic mechanical skills.

$15k for an engine “reseal”?
View Quote

I quoted an engine a few years ago that was more than the car cost new. One part number was $72k or something.

I’ve seen them over $100k, V12 TT garbage. With hardware and labor you’d be looking at $120-130k for an engine on a car that cost $180k new and books at 40 or 50

I will add, I have never and would never quote an “engine reseal”. That’s just so open ended I wouldn’t know where to start. Diagnose what’s leaking and provide an estimate to repair it. But again, we aren’t working on Subarus.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By aftac:
Okay, Sorry I have been working.  I did talk to my parents.  My ex-fiancé was living with them for a year while I was deployed.

The car was in for its 120,000-mile service, that is where they noticed the coolant and oil mixture.  Over the winter driving back and forth from Alabama to Virginia for Reserve Duty I have smelled some stuff in my AC vents that eventually will go away or I got used to the smell.  I asked about the other services and why it had not been seen and was told they were not performed per the owner's request.  The dealership never asked about them when I took my car in.  I got to see the engine before had, I know a little about aircraft Maintenace.  I did look at the seals and the oil and it was the same smell I smelled.  My oil was more than a quart low and I had just changed my oil 3500 miles ago.

Until 2021-2022 I was deployed, moved to Huntsville, and drove a lot because I do not like to fly if it is within 7-8 hours.  

In 2021-2022 my ex-fiancé who did not have a car because her car caught on fire an Audi (should have been a hint but she is a lawyer) drove my car and I would always send money for the car to get serviced at the Subaru dealership.  My old dealership in Virginia I had free oil changes. My last big mileage replacement was not done before my 100,000 warranty but I was told it was done but when she was visiting friends in Florida.  

I always got synthetic I was told she probably did not.  

I have not had time to review cars and I have another 7000 miles to drive before I retire in November.  

My car was a mess when I got back to the US.  It has almost 3,000 miles added in a year.   I had the large 60,000 mile done right after I moved in early 2021 I got home and the car had 100,000 miles on it, I f'ed up.  

Just to let you know there are other parts that are being replaced not just the seals because they are replacing worn parts.
View Quote

No offense, but you keep telling us all of this ancillary info that adds ZERO DETAIL ABOUT WHAT WAS ACTUALLY DONE TO YOUR CAR BY THE MECHANIC, without which it is impossible to opine about what you paid for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#6]

I quoted an engine a few years ago that was more than the car cost new. One part number was $72k or something.

I've seen them over $100k, V12 TT garbage. With hardware and labor you'd be looking at $120-130k for an engine on a car that cost $180k new and books at 40 or 50

I will add, I have never and would never quote an "engine reseal". That's just so open ended I wouldn't know where to start. Diagnose what's leaking and provide an estimate to repair it. But again, we aren't working on Subarus.
View Quote
V12 with twins? Who makes that?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FourLoko] [#7]
new to me, what trash

My Kia blew up around 2021 but I got a new engine for free. It's a 2014 and is going strong since.

$4,000 out of pocket is insane
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
This is why people buy Toyotas and Hondas ..To not spend $4000 on a reseal
View Quote

Apparently you're not familiar with cvt transmissions.

Hondas version of cylinder deactivate is also a dismal failure.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

If you really think Hondas don’t need resealing…well I don’t know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Long time dike-mobile owner checking in...

There are 4 areas that fucking leak on the flat-jap-4

Head gaskets
Rear main seal
Front cam seals
Front main seal

In that order...

Your heads will warp at some point and need machining and new gaskets. Gaskets for non turbos are pretty crappy. Before 70k miles they should be swapped out for the mls ones from a turbo. And get your heads machined while they are out. Long blocks that were serviced early with this preventative procedure should las a really long fucking time.

Fucked gaskets will lead to future issues with over heating.

Rear seals will go if your cats are failing and back pressure in your exhaust will start to impact the rear main long before the front. If there is coolant in your oil, you are on borrowed time. Swapping a dirty PCV after every couple of oil changes and installing an air/oil separation can will help avoid blown rear seals. PCV swaps are only delaying the inevitable.

Front cam seals will start to go after there is too much tension on the timing belt (possibly due to a stuck/faulty idler) or you have overheated your motor too often (see above).

Front main seal is leaking due to its time on earth in a running state coming to an end.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
$4,000 Biden dollars = $1,333.33 Trump dollars, based on the cost of Jack in the Box cheesecake.

$4,000 Biden is $1,449.28 Trump dollars, based on 2 liter Pepsi.

4,000 $Biden is 2,000 $Trump, based on Honda CRV price.  

There, it's not so bad.  Not bad considering Biden salaries and wages are now 2x or 3x higher than Trump salaries and wages (in smaller Biden dollars).

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
GD Ignorance never ceases to amaze as me.
View Quote

You will be happier at DU, it's a place for low information people.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL this thread .
My wife's 2016 Outback was fucking garbage was so glad I bought the extended warranty and I yeeted that thing with 2k miles left on the warranty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:

It's not the same as a rebuild, a rebuild would cost even more. Just sending the heads off for resurfacing will cost you $500, thats not even getting into replacing valves and springs.

GD can't wrap their minds around the fact that things don't cost what they did 50 years ago. I don't care that you raced "subys" for years, I've worked in dealerships for years including Subaru and it most certainly is a common repair on these cars.

If you're buying Japanese the only acceptable brands are Honda and Toyota.

Nissan and Subaru are hunks of shit.
View Quote

Pretty sure Renault Group owns Nissan.  Renault is famous for short lived vehicles.  I had a 59 Renault Dauphine in 1962, the unibody frame was broken by rust.  Hell, you could hear that car rust.  But it was fun to drive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MikeSSS:

Pretty sure Renault Group owns Nissan.  Renault is famous for short lived vehicles.  I had a 59 Renault Dauphine in 1962, the unibody frame was broken by rust.  Hell, you could hear that car rust.  But it was fun to drive.
View Quote
Are you sure about that?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Basically rebuild the engine.
View Quote
Sounds like you got reamed hard.
Buy something cheap, and easy to maintain,  example: 20 year old fleet cars at auction.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, OP - I have nothing to offer.  I've never owned a Subaru, nor served in the military, nor had an ex-fiance who was a lawyer living with my parents that I had to send money to while being deployed to get said Subaru serviced.

My life with one wife of 30 years driving Chevy's is relatively uncomplicated.  Best of luck on your future endeavors.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Tigers1363:
OP we should chat, I'm in Huntsville and Subaru just told me the EXACT same thing for my 2019 Ascent.
View Quote
i haven't had any issues with Landers/Mclarty on service in the 6 years i've been using them but i'm wondering if they got a new service manager/management and have gone full retard with trying to fuck everyone over to bring in revenue. I'm only at like ~50kish on the '17 Forester though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:37:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#21]
Reseal is something you do to a driveway
Replacing a gasket(s) is something you do to a car engine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#22]
The onky thing that sucks about a HO engine..... got pull it for everything that needs done
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

No offense, but you keep telling us all of this ancillary info that adds ZERO DETAIL ABOUT WHAT WAS ACTUALLY DONE TO YOUR CAR BY THE MECHANIC, without which it is impossible to opine about what you paid for.
View Quote

This. If you actually want to know the answer to the question "did I screw up?" then post pics of the invoice.
But I suspect the OP doesn't actually want that question answered.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Okay, Sorry I have been working.  I did talk to my parents.  My ex-fiancé was living with them for a year while I was deployed.

The car was in for its 120,000-mile service, that is where they noticed the coolant and oil mixture.  Over the winter driving back and forth from Alabama to Virginia for Reserve Duty I have smelled some stuff in my AC vents that eventually will go away or I got used to the smell.  I asked about the other services and why it had not been seen and was told they were not performed per the owner's request.  The dealership never asked about them when I took my car in.  I got to see the engine before had, I know a little about aircraft Maintenace.  I did look at the seals and the oil and it was the same smell I smelled.  My oil was more than a quart low and I had just changed my oil 3500 miles ago.

Until 2021-2022 I was deployed, moved to Huntsville, and drove a lot because I do not like to fly if it is within 7-8 hours.  

In 2021-2022 my ex-fiancé who did not have a car because her car caught on fire an Audi (should have been a hint but she is a lawyer) drove my car and I would always send money for the car to get serviced at the Subaru dealership.  My old dealership in Virginia I had free oil changes. My last big mileage replacement was not done before my 100,000 warranty but I was told it was done but when she was visiting friends in Florida.  

I always got synthetic I was told she probably did not.  

I have not had time to review cars and I have another 7000 miles to drive before I retire in November.  

My car was a mess when I got back to the US.  It has almost 3,000 miles added in a year.   I had the large 60,000 mile done right after I moved in early 2021 I got home and the car had 100,000 miles on it, I f'ed up.  

Just to let you know there are other parts that are being replaced not just the seals because they are replacing worn parts.

"Just the facts m'am." No shit, very little actual information in OP's posts, even though repeated requests have been made. And IIRC from earlier in this thread, he is supposedly a college grad with a high-tech .mil MOS. Obviously another example of "education does not equal intelligence." OP seems te be a prime candidate for a repair shop smoke show.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I got offered 5.25 auto loan from my bank. So if you are wanting a new car they aren’t 7-9 if you shop around. Of course my cars are paid off. Still nice to look…. My truck is a 2013 and my newest car is a 2019.

I got my eye on a f250 7.3 xlt tremor. Problem is the first step is to rip out that tiny gas tank and put a real one in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#26]
My son the newly minted fireman bought a 2023 outback wilderness edition. It was a courtesy vehicle with 4k miles. $10k under original sticker. He paid $250 for cert inspection plus about $2k for up to seven years of free basic maintenance and 5 years bumper to bumper warranty to fix absolutely anything on the car.

He paid a pittance for guaranteed no bad surprises. It should be a 10 year ride at least.

I drive a 2016 Acura RDX with 134k miles. I’ll rock it til 200k. We are both happy with our choices.

OP I would’ve traded for a new Subaru in your case.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 346ci:
19 with 120k and it already needed a rebuild?
View Quote

Yeah... WTF??
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:05:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bafordman] [#28]
It cost about 7K for a full reseal on my 2016 F250 SD 6.7 diesel with around 210k miles last summer, included the heads.  I need to get it back in due to still having a slow leak.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Correct.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
What does “reseal” mean? Was your engine leaking super bad from many gaskets and engine seals and they pulled the engine out to just replace those?

Correct.

That is not rebuilding the engine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Not sure what all that noise is.  I own 5 toyotas.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Col_Sanders:
I read that 4 times and still dont know wtf is going on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

What was exactly was rebuilt?  New piston and rings, new crankshaft and rod bearings, cylinder head work, valve jobs?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

What was exactly was rebuilt?  New piston and rings, new crankshaft and rod bearings, cylinder head work, valve jobs?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

A lot of people, including "mechanics" have varying definitions of the word "rebuilt". IMO, replacing gaskets and seals is NOT a "rebuild". Or, it could be, depending on semantics. As OP has not posted specifics of the work done, we're still in the dark here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#34]

It's not the same as a rebuild, a rebuild would cost even more. Just sending the heads off for resurfacing will cost you $500, thats not even getting into replacing valves and springs.

GD can't wrap their minds around the fact that things don't cost what they did 50 years ago. I don't care that you raced "subys" for years, I've worked in dealerships for years including Subaru and it most certainly is a common repair on these cars.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jb31:

No, most of GD wonders why the cost is about the same as a rebuild.  Or a donor/crate.  And if I'm pulling the motor, I'm absolutely doing a rebuild.  $4k for seals is crazy.  Not only that, but it absolutely is uncommon.  I raced Subys for years.  I had 3.  I have never once heard of anyone pulling a motor for a "reseal".  I had both the 2.0l and 2.5l motors and this wasn't a thing.

I don't care if you worked at a dealership for years, just because you charge ridiculous fees at the dealer doesn't mean that is the norm.  The dealer is the last place I'd get work done.  I do agree with your last sentence.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
I was recently quoted about 5K for an engine replacement for an Outback.  Not sure I'd want to spend that just on gaskets/seals.
View Quote

That's a lot closer to reality.  They aren't too bad to replace at home either if you have the tools and space.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mardoc] [#36]
Engine was pulled and some of the parts were replaced with the reseal of all the parts.  I think from when I was deployed for 15 months my ex added 25K miles to the car.  If the car has issues its probally that and my fault for not keeping with the dealership after the 100,000 mile warranty was expired.  I kind of wanted to go new car but my goal since starting my new non DOD job has been to pay off all my debt.
View Quote

This could have been the problem if she did not maintain it.

Spending $4000 if the job is done right and you have no more issues for the next 2 years is a $166/month car payment. I think I see the logic. I run cars/trucks until the wheels fall off. I have a 1999 truck now with about 300,000 on it. I am hoping to get another 20,000 before it dies.  

My daughter has a lesbaru as a company car. Runs like a sled dog through the snow. It is maintained by the company and she has never really had any problems with it. I think hers is a 2020.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
you'll need to keep $50k in fucking pushclips handy if you're working on subaru's. Holy hell they use a different fucking size/type every 4 inches on my '17 Forester. It's insane.
View Quote
lol!

I think there are three types that need to be removed to get the wheel well protector off and get at at changing the headlamps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Subaru uses horizontally opposed engines and the nature of H engines is they leak from every orfice. Resealing a Subaru isn't uncommon and requires removing the engine. Most of GD is incapable of understanding this because they bought their first car in 1921.
View Quote

I have a couple hundred thousand miles on boxer twin engines that didn't leak from every orifice. That might be more of a subie thing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#39]
Originally Posted By xd341:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xd341:

I've seen them over $100k, V12 TT garbage. With hardware and labor you'd be looking at $120-130k for an engine on a car that cost $180k new and books at 40 or 50

I will add, I have never and would never quote an "engine reseal". That's just so open ended I wouldn't know where to start. Diagnose what's leaking and provide an estimate to repair it. But again, we aren't working on Subarus.

Aston, Rolls/BMW, few other have had them

I'm betting it was a AMG M275 tho Maybe a 285 since $180k seems Maybach territory

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#40]
If I was told my newer vehicle needed an overhaul like that, I’d dump it. My 2016 Kia doesn’t hardly leak anything, just a damp area under the main seal.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Taking an engine out for us is ~$5500 minimum, plus parts and whatever actual work you need done.

$4k is a steal, depending on what was done. You did not get a “rebuild”. Did you get headgaskets? Probably headgaskets, rear main, front crank seal, cam seals, valve cover seals, and reseal the front cover.

View Quote

Crazy pricing.

I had the engine replaced in our Saab 92x (rebadged WRX) with a JDM EJ205.  They also replaced the clutch, flywheel and shifter bushings.  All that was less than 4K 10 years ago.  I contacted the shop (for a friend) recently to see what the same work would cost today.  They quoted me about 50% higher price.  They are a very reputable shop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Penguin Joke At The Monkey Bar
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HK-GUY45:

If you really think Hondas don’t need resealing…well I don’t know what to tell you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HK-GUY45:

I had a 17yrd Civic with over 200k miles on,  finally needed a new valve cover gasket.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 346ci:
19 with 120k and it already needed a rebuild?
View Quote

It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

LMAO - I could buy an 818 kit and complete gasket set for what you'd charge for replacing some gaskets?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By bafordman:
It cost about 7K for a full reseal on my 2016 F250 SD 6.7 diesel with around 210k miles last summer, included the heads.  I need to get it back in due to still having a slow leak.
View Quote

This thread is probably the most informative I've seen on GD in a while, I had no idea this was a thing, nor that it would cost this much, nor be relevant for such recent vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Ha... 120k is when my Toyota motors are just broke in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Former Subaru owner- yes in warmer climates they will develop leaks in between the engine and transmission. Not an inexpensive fix either.

Amazingly you see less of this in colder climates.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#49]
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
Ha... 120k is when my Toyota motors are just broke in.
View Quote

From another thread - Toyota Pink always looks so delicious

Attachment Attached File

UR Bois assemble.

To be fair, early GR head gaskets, UR Valley Seals and 3 UR-FE Cam Tower Leaks are oft mentioned, but not universal. Some older stuff , in the States and not has been more of a shit show.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ManMan:

I had a 17yrd Civic with over 200k miles on,  finally needed a new valve cover gasket.
View Quote

Now you will need a whole new head since new ones run almost 30 psi and use toothpicks for headstuds.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top