Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2024 1:25:42 AM EDT
He heard about what happened with his wife.
He was hoping that Butch and Vincent would kill each other.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:32:39 AM EDT
[#1]
It was Vincent's gun that he laid down so he could take a dump.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It was Vincent's Mac. He left it on the counter when he went to take a shit.

Probably thought there was NO way Butch would be dumb enough to come back to his place and got complacent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]
“What does Marcellus Wallace look like?”

It isn’t John Travolta.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
My impression was Vincent left it there while he was in the bathroom. Fits with his general carelessness with firearms (RIP Marvin) and ties in with the notion that Jules had his little spiritual awakening moment and walked away from that life while Vincent ignored the sign and paid for it with his life.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Heroin actually drove a bunch of the plot in that movie.  Don't do drugs kids.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
View Quote

I heard somewhere that Jackson's character was originally written for Lawrence Fishburne. But he turned it down because when he read the script it came across as "glorifying heroin."

Must have been some serious changes from that first draft because Pulp Fiction sure doesn't seem like a movie that glorifies heroin to me!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:44:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fenderCAB:
View Quote

Vincent carried a .45.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SamuelAdams1776:

Vincent carried a .45.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-7b91d83595bb414e2da625ca8ad51647-lq
View Quote

In that particular instance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#9]

Vincent carried a .45.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fenderCAB:

Vincent carried a .45.

Leaving heroin where an addict can find it? Ok, I can see that happening in that line of work.

Pointing a loaded gun with your finger on the trigger at someone you don't intend to kill there and then in a moving car? Vincent was definitely too dumb to live. Something was bound to catch up to him.

Safe gun handling, drug risk management. The guy was a walking public service announcement. "Hey kids, don't do what Vincent does!"
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Vincent carried a .45.

View Quote

Damn dude. LMGTFY.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Bad things happen when Vincent is in a bathroom. Mia's overdose, the diner robbery, butch coming back to his apartment to get his father's watch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:31:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Booray:

Damn dude. LMGTFY.

https://i.imgur.com/03IaK4M.jpeg
View Quote

AI?  It says that the gun belongs to Wallace.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Butch left the fight early, running out to the taxi lady. He wasn't expected home that soon. They were gonna kill him after he threw the fight but he turned tables on them. Whether it was Marcellus' mac or Vincent's doesn't matter. No advantage for Marcellus to have left it. He'd be walking back into the situation with butch having the Mac, so he could just shot Vincent himself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:22:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akguy1985] [#14]
Originally Posted By Wagonteeth:
Butch left the fight early, running out to the taxi lady. He wasn't expected home that soon. They were gonna kill him after he threw the fight but he turned tables on them. Whether it was Marcellus' mac or Vincent's doesn't matter. No advantage for Marcellus to have left it. He'd be walking back into the situation with butch having the Mac, so he could just shot Vincent himself.
View Quote

Butch didn't leave the fight early, he killed the other boxer instead of taking a dive. The radio dj was talking about it on the radio in the taxi and Esmeralda Villalobos was talking about it with butch.

Pulp Fiction | 'What Does It Feel Like to Kill a Man?' (HD) - Bruce Willis | MIRAMAX
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#15]
His soul was in the briefcase.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CZRider:
My impression was Vincent left it there while he was in the bathroom. Fits with his general carelessness with firearms (RIP Marvin) and ties in with the notion that Jules had his little spiritual awakening moment and walked away from that life while Vincent ignored the sign and paid for it with his life.
View Quote

He shot Marvin in the face on purpose. Replay the scene on slow motion and you see him pull the trigger. He wasn't careless.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:22:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: akguy1985] [#17]
Originally Posted By mrkma:
His soul was in the briefcase.
View Quote

It's a macguffin, allegedly. That, or it's the diamonds from reservoir dogs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:38:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jason280] [#18]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

He shot Marvin in the face on purpose. Replay the scene on slow motion and you see him pull the trigger. He wasn't careless.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Marcellus did not plant the MAC-10. Nothing in the movie suggests he found out about his wife overdosing on Vincent's watch, or that he therefore wanted Butch and Vincent to kill each other. Regardless, there is no way Marcellus could (1) anticipate the exact moment Butch would return home; (2) know that Vincent would be in the restroom right then; and (3) sneak into the apartment, place the gun, and then sneak out – all between the time Vincent closes the bathroom door and Butch opens the front door. Off-camera events are implied by context and do not require viewers to stretch their imaginations beyond the breaking point.  

With that said, OP only came up with this theory because the scene is not believable by itself. Vincent is a career criminal who is no stranger to murder. He is lying in wait for an ambush as soon as Butch enters the apartment. Since he does not know when that might happen and Butch is dangerous – a professional fighter who just killed an opponent in the ring – Vincent has to be on guard at all times. If you were in that situation, would you ever leave your weapon far out of reach, where you could not even see it?

Tarantino did lay some groundwork that helps explain this, with Vincent being prone to doing stupid things and working while high on heroin. But if that was supposed to be the angle, its presentation was too subtle. I always thought the scene would have been better if Vincent had emerged from the restroom with a rubber strap around his forearm, or there was something else to show that he forgot his MAC-10 on the kitchen counter because he was busy shooting up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

The car hit a bump?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RMVS:
Marcellus did not plant the MAC-10. Nothing in the movie suggests he found out about his wife overdosing on Vincent's watch, or that he therefore wanted Butch and Vincent to kill each other. Regardless, there is no way Marcellus could (1) anticipate the exact moment Butch would return home; (2) know that Vincent would be in the restroom right then; and (3) sneak into the apartment, place the gun, and then sneak out – all between the time Vincent closes the bathroom door and Butch opens the front door. Off-camera events are implied by context and do not require viewers to stretch their imaginations beyond the breaking point.  

With that said, OP only came up with this theory because the scene is not believable by itself. Vincent is a career criminal who is no stranger to murder. He is lying in wait for an ambush as soon as Butch enters the apartment. Since he does not know when that might happen and Butch is dangerous – a professional fighter who just killed an opponent in the ring – Vincent has to be on guard at all times. If you were in that situation, would you ever leave your weapon far out of reach, where you could not even see it?

Tarantino did lay some groundwork that helps explain this, with Vincent being prone to doing stupid things and working while high on heroin. But if that was supposed to be the angle, its presentation was too subtle. I always thought the scene would have been better if Vincent had emerged from the restroom with a rubber strap around his forearm, or there was something else to show that he forgot his MAC-10 on the kitchen counter because he was busy shooting up.
View Quote

He's not shooting up, he's trying to take a shit.
Opioids causes constipation.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DaveJRSC:
“What does Marcellus Wallace look like?”

It isn’t John Travolta.
View Quote

"Does he look like a bitch?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:59:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runfrumu] [#23]
Marcellus left the Mac there when he went to grab the donuts and coffee he was carrying back when Butch hits him later.  You cant carry that mac into a diner.  When he left Vincent isnt taking a shit, and assumes its safe to leave his gun on the counter in the kitchen while Vincent is watching the apartment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:02:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin72] [#24]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

The car hit a bump?

Kharn
View All Quotes

The car hit a bump?

Kharn

I didn't mean to shoot the son of a bitch the gun went off, I don't know why...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:09:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RMVS] [#25]
Kharn
View Quote

Sure, but that does not explain why he would leave his weapon out of reach and out of sight when he is lying in wait to kill a dangerous person at any moment. I'm not saying he was shooting up off-camera and the audience can infer that. I'm saying the scene would have been better, and would make more sense, if Tarantino had changed it in some way to suggest that he had been shooting up. Then people like myself and the OP wouldn't be thinking, "How the hell could he forget he put his gun on the kitchen counter?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#26]
It was Vinnies gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Never even occurred to me that Marcellus was at the apartment.

Always just figured Vincent was a retard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Criminals, especially heroin addicted criminals, do stupid things.

My wife gets annoyed when we watch cop shows and I point out the plot holes and technical errors.

But, one thing I never say is that the writers had the criminals do something that was so stupid that they would never do it in real life.  Because, in real life, there is nothing so stupid, that some criminal somewhere, won't do it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Blackfriar:
It was Vincent's Mac. He left it on the counter when he went to take a shit.

Probably thought there was NO way Butch would be dumb enough to come back to his place and got complacent.
View Quote
That scene was to point out how Jules was correct in leaving "the life" THAT DAY.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:
Bad things happen when Vincent is in a bathroom. Mia's overdose, the diner robbery, butch coming back to his apartment to get his father's watch.
View Quote

Heroin causes constipation
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

I heard somewhere that Jackson's character was originally written for Lawrence Fishburne. But he turned it down because when he read the script it came across as "glorifying heroin."

Must have been some serious changes from that first draft because Pulp Fiction sure doesn't seem like a movie that glorifies heroin to me!
View All Quotes

@Hesperus

Man, Fishburn would have done a great job with that part as well and it would be interesting to see him in that role!  But Samual Jackson hit it out of the park.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:
View Quote

Heroin/opiates also cause constipation
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Booray:

Damn dude. LMGTFY.

https://i.imgur.com/03IaK4M.jpeg

You didn’t say “Marcellus’ gun”. You said “Marcellus”.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#34]

With that said, OP only came up with this theory because the scene is not believable by itself. Vincent is a career criminal who is no stranger to murder. He is lying in wait for an ambush as soon as Butch enters the apartment.
View Quote

Ummmmm.  No.  If that were the case there would be no "path of the righteous man" monologuing etc.  They don't want to just kill him.  They want to make sure he knows why he is being killed, then kill him.

Everything else you said is spot on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Vincent is repeatedly careless and dumb.

Vincent fails to learn he should quit being a hitman and just "walk the earth" like Jules realizes.

Thus Vincent dies on the toilet, killed with a machine gun he carelessly left out in plain sight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By runfrumu:
Marcellus left the Mac there when he went to grab the donuts and coffee he was carrying back when Butch hits him later.  You cant carry that mac into a diner.  When he left Vincent isnt taking a shit, and assumes it's safe to leave his gun on the counter in the kitchen while Vincent is watching the apartment.
View Quote
This.
Vincent was preoccupied with taking a dump due to his opioid constipation and possibly distracted by looking too forward to the doughnuts (preoccupied with food, think Royal with cheese and $5 milkshake scenes).

Also, Jules was the brains of the two. Vincent didnt have a chance on his own.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:23:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#37]
Marcellus has his own gun. He fires it at Butch die-rectly, right after Butch hits him with the car.

The MAC is Vincent's.

Remember the trunk scene, "we should have shotguns for this...."
Vincent up-armed, and had been thinking about it, especially since Jules left.

I have always wondered if it really is a MAC, or a Royale, minus cheese. ETA just realized how dumb that is as it's the quarter pounder that is the Royale.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Sure, but that does not explain why he would leave his weapon out of reach and out of sight when he is lying in wait to kill a dangerous person at any moment. I'm not saying he was shooting up off-camera and the audience can infer that. I'm saying the scene would have been better, and would make more sense, if Tarantino had changed it in some way to suggest that he had been shooting up. Then people like myself and the OP wouldn't be thinking, "How the hell could he forget he put his gun on the kitchen counter?"
View All Quotes
Kharn

He's a fuck up. Practically the only thing in the entire movie not his fault was the un-fixed boxing match, because he and Jules weren't involved yet.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#39]
For some strange reason, that is one of my favorite things of that movie.
Travolta getting wasted coming out of the shitter.
Should have had Jackson ran over by a church van.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:39:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#40]

Vincent carried a .45.

View Quote

No. That gun was provided to him for that job. It tells us nothing about what he typically carries or prefers to carry. Watch the movie.

Also, it's a 9mm (star model B). Which is referenced in the movie.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

No. That gun was provided to him for that job. It tells us nothing about what he typically carries or prefers to carry. Watch the movie.

Also, it's a 9mm (star model B). Which is referenced in the movie.
View Quote

Jules carried a star model B 9mm. Look on the Imfdb.org page.

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Pulp_Fiction
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Kharn
View Quote

Which is why I'll never do opioids.
I like being regular.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Had to watch it again.
Pulp Fiction: Butch shoots Vincent (HD CLIP)
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ExFed1811:
Criminals, especially heroin addicted criminals, do stupid things.

My wife gets annoyed when we watch cop shows and I point out the plot holes and technical errors.

But, one thing I never say is that the writers had the criminals do something that was so stupid that they would never do it in real life.  Because, in real life, there is nothing so stupid, that some criminal somewhere, won't do it.
View Quote

Exactly.  Thank God that most violent criminals turn to crime to thrive because they're too stupid to thrive any other way.  It makes them easier to catch, and when caught they can be incapacitated.  At least that's how things used to work.

Smarter nascent criminals usually find a way to be within the law(-ish) when they indulge in sociopathy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Maybe it was Potbelly's Mac and she just told Butch about forgetting the watch and was going to trickle truth that she also forgot the Mac on the counter?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:25:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#46]
Originally Posted By C-4:

@Hesperus

Man, Fishburn would have done a great job with that part as well and it would be interesting to see him in that role!  But Samual Jackson hit it out of the park.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:

@Hesperus

There's no way Fishburne could have pulled off that role without an obnoxious level of overacting, like he usually does.  Jackson was perfect and that movie launched his career.

Nobody does "angry black man" like Sam Jackson.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Leaving heroin where an addict can find it? Ok, I can see that happening in that line of work.

Pointing a loaded gun with your finger on the trigger at someone you don't intend to kill there and then in a moving car? Vincent was definitely too dumb to live. Something was bound to catch up to him.

Safe gun handling, drug risk management. The guy was a walking public service announcement. "Hey kids, don't do what Vincent does!"
View Quote

Someone here posted about how everything bad that happened in that movie was due to Vincent’s stupidity
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#48]
People put more thought into Tarentino movies than Tarentino does.  

Like paintings

Art Connoisseur:  the lines and colors of this paint indicate the artists attempt to illustrate the duality of man and struggles with mental illness.  Beautiful!

Artist: Actually, my cat knocked over the canvas onto my paints.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By runfrumu:
Marcellus left the Mac there when he went to grab the donuts and coffee he was carrying back when Butch hits him later.  You cant carry that mac into a diner.  When he left Vincent isnt taking a shit, and assumes its safe to leave his gun on the counter in the kitchen while Vincent is watching the apartment.
View Quote

As many times as I've seen this movie I never connected the dots on this.  So Marcellus gets Vincent killed on accident. Or Vincent taking forever with is opiate constipation dump did him in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:44:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#50]
View Quote
Of course he pulled the trigger, that's how guns go off. And, the entire movie establishes Vincent as being careless.
His carelessness kills someone (Marvin), almost kills someone (Mia), then - because he doesn't learn his lesson - it kills him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top