Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2023 8:29:37 PM EDT
So I've had these BN train cars & locomotive since 1986 or 87 I think. I bought them back when I was thinking of getting into model railroading. Didn't do anything with em and they've been sitting in boxes since. I wanted to display em and thought I would practice some model diorama skills as well. Everything is scratch built except for the small pine trees by the shack.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
that's a great start!  Look at Scenic Express supertree leaves. (watch some youtube videos)  
You spray your existing trees with hairspray, and then lightly sprinkle the leaves overtop. They can make a huge difference.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I bought the O scale locomotive and caboose of the Spirit of ‘76 HO I had as a kid. My plan is to just do a wall mounted display shelf for them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#5]
Try to add some dark color to the rails.  If you use an acrylic, find something you like between dark gray and a little bit brown/rusty. (you can use those craft paints at Walmart that are $2.50 each)
Thin the paint slightly and apply to the side of the rail with a small brush, not letting it get all over the ballast.
Take it slow, and add a little at a time. You can always make a 2nd or 4rd pass, or however many you need.

Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
that's a great start!  Look at Scenic Express supertree leaves. (watch some youtube videos)  
You spray your existing trees with hairspray, and then lightly sprinkle the leaves overtop. They can make a huge difference.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Try to add some dark color to the rails.  If you use an acrylic, find something you like between dark gray and a little bit brown/rusty. (you can use those craft paints at Walmart that are $2.50 each)
Thin the paint slightly and apply to the side of the rail with a small brush, not letting it get all over the ballast.
Take it slow, and add a little at a time. You can always make a 2nd or 4rd pass, or however many you need.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46582/CSX_5349_GE_ES44DC-3058037.jpg
View Quote

Ahh that's good advice thanks! I watch a few YT channels of model RR guys and they make it look easy but it takes some real skill and years of practice I think. I was kind of rushing cause this is just one of many projects I have in the backup that I wanted to get done.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Model Railroad Update #170: Making "Super" - Super Trees
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
@EvoXGunner

I like your set up, and have always been amazed
by toy train creations.

I used to sell them in a toy store at my first
paycheck job.  I had to memorize all the scales,
gauges, and manufacturers.  I've forgotten a lot
of details since then.

Sadly, we had to lock up the small scales, even
back in the '80s.

Please post more pics if you expand this project!
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
@EvoXGunner

by toy train creations.

of details since then.

back in the '80s.

View Quote

Hey thanks bro. I think this is gonna be a one off for a while. I like HO model RR but don't really want to kick down a grip of  $$$ for another new hobby. I'm stacked pretty deep in the RC realm and actually trying to offload some stuff lol.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
@EvoXGunner

by toy train creations.

of details since then.

back in the '80s.

View Quote
here's what people in the hobby are doing these days....

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
That looks excellent! Great job!
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: agentblack] [#14]
Please delete.. dup post due to website timeout error.. didn’t realize my first post went through.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#15]
Originally Posted By agentblack:
Please delete.. dup post due to website timeout error.. didn't realize my first post went through.
View Quote
lol, you're supposed to edit your second post, and replace original content with "oops, doubletap". Noob!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top