Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2022 6:02:29 PM EDT
Yeah. I have an OC1 Pioneer Edition my wife got for me years ago, but I only started using it in earnest this year. Up until then it had something like 8 dives on it, it just never managed to come along when there was diving to be done or something.

Anyhow with that little use:

The USB -> Serial cable failed; as in only connects 5% of the time.

The replacement makes both computer ends do the right thing, but times out on handshake. Oceanic says "call Pelagic, it's their problem." Pelagic says it's old. Then Oceanic says we'll recore it for $260, but since it's a collector's edition, who knows if the serial numbers and carp will match up at the end of it all.

Rubber strap it came with broke at the watch end. And no, it hasn't been lying in the sun or ozone box for years. And no replacement available on the market. It turns out Amazfit T-Rex strips fit, but they're pretty crappy. 10 dives in they're holding up ok, but I do worry about losing the damn thing to the abyss every time I step off.

So anyways, for a "premium, limited edition" type product with a MSRP around 2k, I really had expected something to be less crappy. Sorry, had to vent. Yeah, I know, cool story, bro.

In other news, work nixed my need to be in India, so I'll be diving some wrecks in NC this weekend, so there is that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My Datamax served me well for several years of active diving.  I would not expect it to be ready for use now if I still had it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Shearwater is the new go to computer...I have a Perdix AI, a Peregrine and an Oceanic Pro Plus 4 which has already been back for service and they replaced the whole unit after 12 dives...
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
In the words of my best friend “Stop f@cking around and get a Shearwater.”

He was right.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve used a peregrine and it’s great.

I ended up getting a Garmin descent mk2i.  I haven’t dove with it yet but it’s been great so far as a sports watch
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
In the words of my best friend “Stop f@cking around and get a Shearwater.”

He was right.
View Quote

Do they use the same transmitters for the tank pressure? That would be skookum.

And Shearwater is from my kind of home town (although I left that country for a lot of reasons, I do miss the towns).
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

And Shearwater is from my kind of home town (although I left that country for a lot of reasons, I do miss the towns).
View Quote

Just give them a call..tell then which transmitter you have...they are compatible with a lot of them
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked up Perdix 2 Ti, and the HP Sender works with both the OC1 and the shearwater simultaneously just fine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Picked up Perdix 2 Ti, and the HP Sender works with both the OC1 and the shearwater simultaneously just fine.
View Quote

@homeyclaus

HP sender? It’s a transmitter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Marie:

@homeyclaus

HP sender? It’s a transmitter.
View Quote

Transmitters send?
But yes, drinking and posting causes this to happen.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By :

Transmitters send?
But yes, drinking and posting causes this to happen.
View Quote

Drunk posting lol
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Yeah, the Teric is pretty much damn perfect and that's coming from an old skool Uuwatec-SP/Dive-Rite fan. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top