Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 2:33:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IHTFP08]
Am I crazy for thinking of selling my 17 Focus ST and replacing with an older LS430? I was specifically looking for 04-06 Ultra luxury if I can find one at a decent price/mileage. Or go look for custom luxury and not deal with the air suspension at all. Or get the non-nav version (better for aftermarket radios).

I've driven manual hatches for whole life. 91 integra in HS, after college 03 RSX-S from 08-20 when it was totaled and got the ST in 2020. Bought it at 58k miles now approaching 120k its been great with only oil changes, routine maintenance, and light mods. Intercooler, DP, tune, coilovers, exhaust, RMM, radiator, wheels. Pretty basic. Younger car guys compliment it, but wife and kids think its too loud (sometimes I do too) but not sure if going to a 2.5" exhaust or softening the damping would fix the over all driving feel. It was pretty stiff on stock suspension too.

I also have an 09 GX470 lifted on bilstein 6112/5150s (and air suspension converted already) and love not worrying about bumps or rough roads. ST is kinda tiresome on bumpy/bad roads, loud exhaust, etc. Maybe I'm outgrowing the "hot hatch".

Only requirement would still need to have back seat for a carseat for my kids (5 and 10 now). Trying to keep the price under $10k so not to add a car payment. Still owe about $3k on the ST and feel like its worth ~12k. Paid 14.5 in 2020 with 58k miles.

I like the 4.3 V8, and some luxury items and a well built lexus (even if its 20yrs old).  

My commute is about 45 mins on back country roads so the ST is pretty fun, but its rough sometimes with kids in the car (trying to talk). Plus cooled front seats and built in fridge would be pretty neat.

Edit: now we're heavily considering consolidating from 3 vehicles, down to two. We're about to add another teenage driver and car.

Basically a 4wd, 3rd row SUV for my wife to drive daily on her short commute. This would also be the main road trip car for our blended family (2 adults and 4 kids). And I would use it on weekends where I need 4wd or carrying gear for camping, etc. I'd get a sedan to drive my 300 miles/wk (like LS460/430) and haul my 2 kids around. Auto trans so she could drive if I'm using the SUV.

Planning to sell all 3 cars in stages and look at getting a 2009+ Sequoia (maybe even LX570 if we can stretch the budget to about $20k) and LS460L/430 for me. Maybe selling the Focus first, driving the GX for a little looking for the right deals on the SUV.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer yes. I woould never even think of going from a modern(less than 10 year old) vehicle to a 20 year old for a daily driver. If it was a play car maybe. But as something I would need to depend on to get to work and haul a child? NO way.

Pay off the ST and then find something else.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are going Lexus, consider the GS460 or LS460.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:29:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IHTFP08] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Crash1433:
Short answer yes. I woould never even think of going from a modern(less than 10 year old) vehicle to a 20 year old for a daily driver. If it was a play car maybe. But as something I would need to depend on to get to work and haul a child? NO way.

Pay off the ST and then find something else.
View Quote

I've got a GX470 I drive maybe 1-2x per week too, so it would be 2 almost 20 yr old cars. I didn't really even consider an LS460, but they seem to be some in decent shape in the $10k price range. And honestly seem like a slightly better deal for the same price and a few years newer.

and I do feel like I got a good ecoboost. lots of guys reporting LSPI blown motors on them.

Edit: now we're heavily considering consolidating from 3 vehicles, down to two. We're about to add another teenage driver and car.

Basically a 4wd, 3rd row SUV for my wife to drive daily on her short commute. This would also be the main road trip car for our blended family (2 adults and 4 kids). And I would use it on weekends where I need 4wd or carrying gear for camping, etc. I'd get a sedan to drive my 300 miles/wk (like LS460/430) and haul my 2 kids around. Auto trans so she could drive if I'm using the SUV.

Planning to sell all 3 cars in stages and look at getting a 2009+ Sequoia (maybe even LX570 if we can stretch the budget to about $20k) and LS460L/430 for me. Maybe selling the Focus first, driving the GX for a little looking for the right deals on the SUV.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
An 02 LS was my daily for a while, ended up with 300k miles on it. The LS430 WAS one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, key emphasis on WAS, past tense. There is no getting around a 20 year of car being a 20 year old car. The engine and trans will likely last forever, but all the other shit will go bad and need to be replaced. Toyota parts are expensive, Lexus parts are even worse, and in some cases the parts might not be available anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]

only about triple the budget.

I think the plan right now is to sell the focus, buy an 09-12ish Sequoia, then work on selling the GX and explorer/find me something.

Any hesitations on the 2nd gen sequoia plantinum and the air suspension past certain mileage? I know thats one of the first things converted on the GX. But looks like the sequoias go well past 200k on the air suspension.

Looking at the Platinum mainly for the other options (ventilated seats).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I realize you're looking to make a change (more luxury), but you'll not likely ever find a car with all the positives the ST has (turbo/5-door/manual/crisp handling) again.
Maybe swap the stock exhaust back on and sell the louder one?

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sca037:
I realize you're looking to make a change (more luxury), but you'll not likely ever find a car with all the positives the ST has (turbo/5-door/manual/crisp handling) again.
Maybe swap the stock exhaust back on and sell the louder one?

View Quote

Thats exactly why I bought it, but those same things are the reason I want to sell it too. I'll check out the care care nut videos about the 460s.

The issue is finding a stock exhaust to trade, they usually get cut off and scrapped. I still don't know if that would make me keep it.

We do need to downsize total cars, and getting me another auto allows my wife to drive it when we switch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top