Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2024 10:29:57 PM EDT
2k budget maybe little more.

Dive watch style preferably

Good to great lume

Auto or quartz. If auto, could it be in house movement for that price?

Steel case etc. no plastic case like luminox or even the sport breitling that is n my price range.

Currently have Damasko field watch, Marathon Tsar, tag F1. Bunch of citizens and a few seikos.
  Kind of like the Damasko dsub50. Checks a lot of boxes.  I would like Sinn u1 or u50 if had in house movement.
    Or save up more and buy a Tudor?  I guess just thinking someone might suggest something I haven’t seen or heard of yet.
Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My 1st thought was Sinn, but since the movement is a deal breaker, save for the Tudor. Which particular models are you interested in?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Longines

Longines has some watches in your price range.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EamonnWright:
My 1st thought was Sinn, but since the movement is a deal breaker, save for the Tudor. Which particular models are you interested in?
View Quote

Thanks. You’re probably right.  I’ve always liked the Pelagos. Especially the LHD version.  Or the black bay pro.
   Grail is a Rolex sub with date but that will probably never happen
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 3seven4:
Longines

View Quote

Thanks I’ll check them out
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Save a little - find a low miles BB58. Great watch. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:11:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MateFrio] [#6]
Monta, Ginault, Norqain, Oris.  Some of these "in house" movements are only slightly modified.

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Oris aquis can be found on jomashop.com for around 1500. Really sweet design and oris is independent. Only problem is lacks strap changes, only bracelet or rubber, unless you seek out a custom leather. I seen some nice looking leathers on aquis.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Longines Hydroconquest would be my pick in your budget.

I wear mine during the week and it’s been an excellent watch.

Longines as a brand has great history and the fit/finish is very good for the cost.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the pics and recommendations!
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: reb0957] [#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Highest overall quality at 2K and under …
Maybe an Oris at 1500 and 2K shoild be around the hulk  of their pro diver.

Mido makes a 600m chronometer rated diver for around 1600.

For true in house, Seiko’s 8L35 is no longer a 2K watch. Watches with those movements are going to be closer to 2500 to start.  A 6R version will be around 1K.

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#12]
For the money, Tudor. Black Bays come in different sizes and colors. Buy slightly used and make sure it comes with all boxes, booklets, warranty card etc which is know as a full set.

You can spend months researching dive watches but under $3k Tudor wins.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By reb0957:
never heard of Norqain but that CF looking dial is sexy!
View Quote

Take a hard look at them.  I was impressed when I got to go to a stocking dealer and handle a few.  Swiss based NORQAIN was founded by CEO Ben K ffer in 2018 and he brought on Ted Schneider, a member of the family that owned Breitling for nearly 40 years, and Mark Streit, the Swiss ice hockey legend and Stanley Cup winner, as Co-Founders and Board members.

After Tudor's efforts for Baselworld 2015, Kenissi was created as a producer of movements for Tudor and other brands, now standing as a joint venture of Tudor, Breitling and Chanel. Along with the stakeholders, Kenissi also manufactures movements for Norqain, TAG Heuer and Fortis.

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#14]
For great lume, check out a Deep Blue with tritium.

If you want a sub knockoff, Steinhart is really nice for the money.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:26:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#15]
Doxa
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 300?

Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hcrum87hc] [#17]
In that price range, I'm going with the usual answers: Longines, Oris, Formex, Monta etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By grabagear:

Thanks. You’re probably right.  I’ve always liked the Pelagos. Especially the LHD version.  Or the black bay pro.
   Grail is a Rolex sub with date but that will probably never happen
View Quote

save up a touch more and go with the Pelagos. I got a 42mm blue one in May and it's replaced everything else I wear typically. The price on them, especially the "used but still amazing" options are really there under 3k. I'm into mine less than that, and finally seeing the 39 version drop below insane prices. They are dropping new models in April I believe, and I'm thinking that will help the used market even more.

the titanium weight and micro adjustment bracelet have ruined me to other watches.... so far
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ll backup what the others have said.

My biggest recommendation is keep saving for a Tudor. Their black bays are incredible value for money and the Pelagos lineup is outstanding.

If you don’t mind going used, you can find some quartz Omega Seamasters in the range. They kinda fit a weird niche, but are great watches.

At $2k, you’re kinda at an awkward price point. I would highly recommend a Sinn for $2k if you can disregard it’s not a Sinn manufactured movement.

I will say this, the more you research, the harder it is to determine what ‘in-house’ actually means. I mean, technically, Tudor uses Kenissi to manufacture their movements (although owned by Tudor). So you gotta ask yourself what does in-house mean to you?

If you like the Sinn, but the movement is holding you back. Go for it. You won’t be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
doxa 300 cosc certified

bad ass dive watch

i have one and have dived with it.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:
I’ll backup what the others have said.

My biggest recommendation is keep saving for a Tudor. Their black bays are incredible value for money and the Pelagos lineup is outstanding.

If you don’t mind going used, you can find some quartz Omega Seamasters in the range. They kinda fit a weird niche, but are great watches.

At $2k, you’re kinda at an awkward price point. I would highly recommend a Sinn for $2k if you can disregard it’s not a Sinn manufactured movement.

I will say this, the more you research, the harder it is to determine what ‘in-house’ actually means. I mean, technically, Tudor uses Kenissi to manufacture their movements (although owned by Tudor). So you gotta ask yourself what does in-house mean to you?

If you like the Sinn, but the movement is holding you back. Go for it. You won’t be disappointed.
View Quote

Thanks. That all makes sense. I think I’ll save a little more and get a Tudor. I like the Pelagos.  I like a lot of the BB models too but I prefer a date window. The bb58 with no date seams like a deal for the money.  Never had a watch without a date window. Maybe I’ll give it a try if I get sic of saving for the Pelagos.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:21:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#22]

Thanks. That all makes sense. I think I’ll save a little more and get a Tudor. I like the Pelagos.  I like a lot of the BB models too but I prefer a date window. The bb58 with no date seams like a deal for the money.  Never had a watch without a date window. Maybe I’ll give it a try if I get sic of saving for the Pelagos.
View Quote

I think it would be wise to save for a Tudor. I love Sinn's, I get excited anytime I see one in the wild. Most Sinn owners are actually passionate watch nerds. That being said, to over-generalize Tudor is a whole tier above Sinn. If you have them both in hand, say a U50 and a BB58, you can tell and feel the difference in quality. Again, not nocking Sinn. Sinn used to be much cheaper than what they are now and used to compete heavily in the $1,000 - $1,500 space. I think they're perfect in the price category, I start to question them when they're $2,000 - $3,000 that they're going for now.

They're two completely different watches. The Pelagos is the archetype of what a tool watch should be. The BB has more polished surfaces and probably leans more toward the casual wearer. Both are great dive watches.

Don't get hung up about the date window. Most of my watches have them and my next watch likely won't have one. I've grown to prefer the cleaner dial. It's just a preference thing. There are BBs with date windows. I'm wearing mine as I type this.

If the Pelagos 39 was released at the time I bought my BB, I would have rather bought it, but I'm still super happy with my BB after years of wearing it.

My father’s Pelagos FXD
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:46:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vern1968] [#23]
I would still consider the Sinn U50. Might have to get a used one in your budget but the movement in a good one even though not "in house". The advantages would be it's a common movement and probably anyone can work on it reducing service costs. Love Sinn watches.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:09:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IDidThat] [#24]

Thanks. That all makes sense. I think I'll save a little more and get a Tudor. I like the Pelagos.  I like a lot of the BB models too but I prefer a date window. The bb58 with no date seams like a deal for the money.  Never had a watch without a date window. Maybe I'll give it a try if I get sic of saving for the Pelagos.
View Quote
Slightly used Tudor's are pretty depreciated now so is a good time to buy. Find one on a bracelet as that's a better deal than buying one with a factory strap.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By IDidThat:
Slightly used Tudor's are pretty depreciated now so is a good time to buy. Find one on a bracelet as that's a better deal than buying one with a factory strap.
View Quote

This. I'm seeing used but like new BBs go for 2500-2800 and saw a few 42 Pelagos hit just below $3k. I paid that for mine last year and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. If I wasn't saving for a 2011 I would have snatched a local BB with gold gilt and bracelet that's LNIB with papers from a trusted guy for $2700.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
save up and go for a better watch.

tudor and oris peligos are awesome watches.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:

I think it would be wise to save for a Tudor. I love Sinn's, I get excited anytime I see one in the wild. Most Sinn owners are actually passionate watch nerds. That being said, to over-generalize Tudor is a whole tier above Sinn. If you have them both in hand, say a U50 and a BB58, you can tell and feel the difference in quality. Again, not nocking Sinn. Sinn used to be much cheaper than what they are now and used to compete heavily in the $1,000 - $1,500 space. I think they're perfect in the price category, I start to question them when they're $2,000 - $3,000 that they're going for now.

They're two completely different watches. The Pelagos is the archetype of what a tool watch should be. The BB has more polished surfaces and probably leans more toward the casual wearer. Both are great dive watches.

Don't get hung up about the date window. Most of my watches have them and my next watch likely won't have one. I've grown to prefer the cleaner dial. It's just a preference thing. There are BBs with date windows. I'm wearing mine as I type this.

If the Pelagos 39 was released at the time I bought my BB, I would have rather bought it, but I'm still super happy with my BB after years of wearing it.

https://i.imgur.com/DBwCMGR.jpg

My father’s Pelagos FXD
https://i.imgur.com/FMj5N1w.jpg
View Quote

That is one of the BB’s I was looking at!
And love the Pelagos fxd’s too.  

Yeah that’s it. I have to save for one of those. Otherwise I’d feel like I was settling.

Someone else mentioned a u50 and being able to get it worked on almost anywhere. That’s a good point too. And I do like that model. But the tudors do a little more for me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 3seven4:
Longines

View Quote

If you're sticking to that price range, the Longines Hydroconquest is what you seek. Love mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Check out Monta.....

https://montawatch.com/products/monta-oceanking-60-minute-bezel-with-date-black-dial-ceramic-bezel
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I’ve owned most of the various stainless / black dial Sub references over the past 10 years.

This is the king for me.

Tudor is now making watches with the spirit of the Rolex sports models form the 60’s and 70’s.

All while Rolex moves further upmarket.

For a $4-6k budget you get a lot more watch with Tudor than you do for a $9-12k Sub.

That said it took a journey to know where I want to be. It’s fun, exciting, and expensive. Godspeed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:36:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lucky_dog] [#31]
My daily wear has been an Oris Aquis for some time now.  It’s been mowing the lawn, cutting down trees around the property, working on cars, traveling the world, driving, working on airplanes, and just taking an overall beating.  If I do somehow manage to destroy it I’d just buy another, but maybe the GMT.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Currently wearing my Casio Duro Pepsi. By my calculations, you could buy 40 of them.
Kidding kinda. Omega Seamaster quartz used can be had for less than that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:15:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#33]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
Currently wearing my Casio Duro Pepsi. By my calculations, you could buy 40 of them.
Kidding kinda. Omega Seamaster quartz used can be had for less than that.
View Quote

The sleepers of the SMP line are the 2254.50 (auto) and 2264.50 (quartz) or 2231.50 (auto / ti).

My only watch regret is selling the 2231.50, twice.

Amazing watches.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I agree with the Tudor suggestions. While still in the honeymoon phase with my watch, the FXD scratches the tool watch itch even more than my Sub.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Blitzkreig:
I agree with the Tudor suggestions. While still in the honeymoon phase with my watch, the FXD scratches the tool watch itch even more than my Sub.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/44118/1000002973_jpg-3100858.JPG
View Quote

I'd echo this. I love the Rolex but the FXD is a better "tool watch". I wouldn't ditch my Sub though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#36]
There are a couple of BB's for reasonable prices in the EE. I had a good experience on chrono24 but, I did stick to buying from a dealer for my first rodeo there.

Fwiw-I paid about 85%for a watch that was clean and a year old with full kit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

I vote Pelagos
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By handym3000:
doxa 300 cosc certified

bad ass dive watch

View Quote

Ditto  --

Specs as good as submariner or 300m, easily read dial, excellent machining, many dial options, great lume, excellent machined bracelets.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:38:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By streetstar:

Ditto  --

Specs as good as submariner or 300m, easily read dial, excellent machining, many dial options, great lume, excellent machined bracelets.  

https://i.imgur.com/X1xso2El.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By streetstar:
Originally Posted By handym3000:
doxa 300 cosc certified

bad ass dive watch

Ditto  --

https://i.imgur.com/X1xso2El.png

Nice. I have a rare vintage with the Synchron logo and the US Divers Club logo. Rare to have both. They didn't make too many. I may sell it, because I don't ever wear it, and they sell for a pretty penny. I could get something I'd wear more. I like it because it is different and you never see them. They are highly sought after, and are great functioning dive watches.

A new production model by Doxa, that looks the same as the vintage, is in your 2k price range. You would definitely get compliments, and have a fantastic watch.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:04:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: G_S] [#40]
Sub $500 Citizen Makes the best

Next step up Tissot.

Intend of Tudor, what about a used Omega SeaMaster they can be found for around 3k

But man get you that Sub, you have worked, your life.  You only live once, and it is one of the best things you can pass down to your kids

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a Tudor Black Bay in the EE right now (not mine).

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By FlockaCGulz:
There is a Tudor Black Bay in the EE right now (not mine).

View Quote
I think it used to be mine...
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#43]
The Ginault Silent Service is a nice watch. Nivada Grenchen has some cool stuff . The Zodiac Super Sea Wolf . MKII Watches. Tudor with its in house movements and build quality are hard to beat tho . Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top