Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 10:45:28 AM EDT
I’m an acoustic player but I have almost all my bases covered.

Gibson SG and Les Pauls are short scale-not for me.

Fender Strat vs G&L?  
Telecaster vs ASAT?

I gravitate country but have a long lost love for Rock.

School me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:33:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#1]
I don't know 'the answer'.

But have you also considered getting a lap steel guitar or even a pedal steel?

Yeah, a lot of country music relies on those, but, surprisingly or not, both of those have recently started making substantial inroads into rock (above and beyond their notable presence within some classic Yes and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young tracks).

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Just my opinion, but if you lean heavily toward country, a telecaster variant would probably fit the bill.
They are used pretty extensively in rock too.
There are a LOT more really good options than just G&L or Fender. Unless you just have to have one.
I bought a Schecter PT Special recently to scratch my telecaster itch.
Couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By just-mike:
Just my opinion, but if you lean heavily toward country, a telecaster variant would probably fit the bill.
They are used pretty extensively in rock too.
There are a LOT more really good options than just G&L or Fender. Unless you just have to have one.
I bought a Schecter PT Special recently to scratch my telecaster itch.
Couldn't be happier with it.
View Quote

I like “really good options”.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Article on Country Rigs at Sweetwater

Some light reading to aide in research.

I picked up a Squier CV 70's Telecaster, I think a short time ago. I've found the lack of a forearm contour to be uncomfortable after an hour in the position(s) I play in.  Thus I suggest a more modern version with arch top, or contour(s).

Richie Kotzen Model for Example

Do you need one?  I'm going with since you asked the question, Absolutely.

Hope some of this is helpful.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote goes to either an American Fender, or the PRS NF53
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Which tier or price point?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BTccw:

Fender Strat vs G&L?  
Telecaster vs ASAT?

School me.
View Quote

Telecaster. It is extremely versatile and can be used for any style of music. No pesky whammy bar to complicate set-up and introduce tuning instability.

But your next question is which amp. With an electric, the guitar is only part of the equation. The amp is also an instrument.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Telecaster. It is extremely versatile and can be used for any style of music. No pesky whammy bar to complicate set-up and introduce tuning instability.

But your next question is which amp. With an electric, the guitar is only part of the equation. The amp is also an instrument.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Fender Strat vs G&L?  
Telecaster vs ASAT?

School me.

You’re right-And then it’s pedals….

Today I’m checking out Duesenburgs.

I’ve got a 3-5k budget for a guitar I don’t know if I’m going to play-so no $50k 62 Tele’s for me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:40:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#9]
If you are only getting one electric get something like a Tele deluxe or a strat or a Les Paul but one that has 2 humbuckers that can be split into single coil pick ups

that way you can play humbuckers for blues and jazz and country but also single coil for rock and jazz depending on the genre and specific song

you get both types of sound because there is a big difference in sounds. I Also have a headless travel guitar that breaks down that has split humbuckers. Very versatile.

I have a gibson SG and a fender strat and they are different sounds

then dont bother with individual pedals, get an effects processor with all the modeling and effects and an amp or just a headphone amp with headphones if you dont want the whole house / neighborhood to hear you. You can go deaf all by yourself.

and remember, unlike an acoustic, the pickups only pick up the vibration of the metal strings in the magnetic field of the pickups. Contrary to popular belief, there is no tone from the wood of the body or the neck or the nut or the saddle. All of the tone come from the pickups quality and the circuit quality.

quality wood and neck and craftmanship is something to enjoy for sure ( especially the neck ) and admire and cherish but it has nothing to do with the sound. Tge sounds is all about the pickups, pots, and caps in the cavity .

post pics!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
also pay attention to the neck profile, neck width and neck radius. Electric guitars have a varied  lineup even within the same manufacturer. you will probably have very specific preferences coming from acoustics but you might not want a wide flat chunky neck like an acoustic even though that might feel initially comfortable to you. You will play the electric different.

Play a variety of types to get a feel for what is available .

You are used to high end acoustics, you are probably going to want to play a varied selection of high end electrics, they are much more varied.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: splitbolt] [#11]

I’ve got a 3-5k budget for a guitar I don’t know if I’m going to play...
View Quote

So, re-sell value might be a consideration?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Tele or semi hollowbody Gretsch with real filtertron pickups.  Either of those can do country, blues, and rock.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#13]
G&L ASAT Special.

Of course, when I wanted a Tele, I assembled my own, which is always an option.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:16:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: splitbolt] [#14]
PRS NF53(25.5") or PRS Studio(25") is my suggestion. I think the feel, versatility and more balanced sounds would make the transition more palatable to someone coming from high-end acoustics.

Unless you absolutely have to have the cut-your-head treble and snap of a tele, or quack of strat; then my suggestion is build your own. I think being able to spec the neck, would also make the transition easier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm mainly an acoustic guy, but I have a Mexican HSS player strat that can just about do it all when  the mood strikes me to plug in. For under a grand, you get a lot of versatility, and it's fun as hell.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mach:
If you are only getting one electric get something like a Tele deluxe or a strat or a Les Paul but one that has 2 humbuckers that can be split into single coil pick ups

that way you can play humbuckers for blues and jazz and country but also single coil for rock and jazz depending on the genre and specific song

you get both types of sound because there is a big difference in sounds. I Also have a headless travel guitar that breaks down that has split humbuckers. Very versatile.
View Quote

Eh... I don't know that I'd say you get both sounds. Split humbuckers don't really sound the same as Strat or Tele single coils, which makes sense when you consider that the coils are shaped and positioned differently.

It is certainly added versatility that is nice to have, but I wouldn't say that a split hum actually replaces a Tele or Strat if you specifically want those types of sounds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:06:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: splitbolt] [#17]
Originally Posted By Walkure:

Eh... I don't know that I'd say you get both sounds. Split humbuckers don't really sound the same as Strat or Tele single coils, which makes sense when you consider that the coils are shaped and positioned differently.

It is certainly added versatility that is nice to have, but I wouldn't say that a split hum actually replaces a Tele or Strat if you specifically want those types of sounds.
View Quote

I agree.
Other than the tonal difference, there's the output difference.

There are a couple things you can do to get it closer; start with a higher output humbucker and/or have a resistor on the split leads for a partial split.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]
When the EMP comes, will you have your Les Paul and amp in a Faraday cage?

We're going to need music!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#19]
and remember, unlike an acoustic, the pickups only pick up the vibration of the metal strings in the magnetic field of the pickups. Contrary to popular belief, there is no tone from the wood of the body or the neck or the nut or the saddle. All of the tone come from the pickups quality and the circuit quality.

quality wood and neck and craftmanship is something to enjoy for sure ( especially the neck ) and admire and cherish but it has nothing to do with the sound. Tge sounds is all about the pickups, pots, and caps in the cavity .

post pics!
View Quote

Not true at all.  The same pickup can sound completely different in two different guitars.  A guitar with a Floyd Rose will sound different from a guitar with a hardtail even with the same pickups.  A slim, lightweight, guitar can sound thin with little bottom end compared to a Les Paul with a heavy, dense, mahogany body even with the same pickups.  Yes; selecting pickups and electronics is a major consideration but that selection must match the specific guitar's characteristics.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you need one? No

You probably 5-10

If you're into country a tele is pretty standard. Funnily the best tele I ever played was an ESP a friend had but that's just my taste.

A local guy named Andy Wood does his own take on country licks on a signature Suhr tele and it sounds sweet too.

My advice on what you posted? Go try a few. Fender and G&L while similar feel a good bit different to me whether guitar or bass. It's going to fall to personal taste.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luv_the_huskers] [#21]
I was in a GC store yesterday and they had a made in Japan Gretsch Professional Series. It was in a word, fantastic.

This is the one
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm gonna toss out another thought here in case you are not married to the idea of a telecaster. I think the absolute most versatile guitar I have ever seen would be the PRS SE Hollow Body II Piezo.

PRS SE HOLLOWBODY II PIEZO - A Dream Guitar From PRS!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#23]
also pay attention to the neck profile, neck width and neck radius. Electric guitars have a varied  lineup even within the same manufacturer. you will probably have very specific preferences coming from acoustics but you might not want a wide flat chunky neck like an acoustic even though that might feel initially comfortable to you. You will play the electric different.

Play a variety of types to get a feel for what is available .

You are used to high end acoustics, you are probably going to want to play a varied selection of high end electrics, they are much more varied.
View Quote

Thanks for the input Mach. Lots of considerations and new things to learn but it beats watching or reading the news.  I’m kinda shocked at electric guitar prices-compared to acoustic.

I am paying attention to the advice here and it’s bounced me back and forth between types… almost on an hourly basis. Being a tone junky is not for the weak minded-or poor.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:
When the EMP comes, will you have your Les Paul and amp in a Faraday cage?

We're going to need music!
View Quote

Acoustic guitars were very hard to find even during the Rice Rabies scamdemic.

I will be the acoustic king of my fiefdom when the EMp hits.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By luv_the_huskers:
I was in a GC store yesterday and they had a made in Japan Gretsch Professional Series. It was in a word, fantastic.

This is the one
View Quote

Wife and I visited the “local” (4 hrs away) GC last weekend. Yikes!!!! What a sonic cluster bomb attack on our senses. Some kid had something plugged in and was trying stairway to heaven. We couldn’t leave fast enough to even try anything.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
I'm gonna toss out another thought here in case you are not married to the idea of a telecaster. I think the absolute most versatile guitar I have ever seen would be the PRS SE Hollow Body II Piezo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fz6NkYXsCM
View Quote

I had a PRS (Gibson lawsuit) Singlecut. It completely soured me on electric guitars for some crazy reason. I had a Fender Mustang and a Gibson SG growing up….but just gravitated to acoustics in life. Now I’m back to wanting one- and y’all are right-I just need one——-

More.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Wow!  That is beautiful.

I am a tone wood snob and really appreciate the natural wood look. I spent time looking at Lowden GL-10’s yesterday.

That said some of the paint colors are really spectacular on a few of the guitars I’ve looked at.

I’m actually a bit dismayed at the generally poor quality of wood used in/on electrics. “Swamp ash” and alder are just cheap junk in the acoustic world.
Even the “really great” maple necks that I’ve seen would be considered lesser quality in the acoustic world.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:28:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#29]
There is a Tangerine Orange ASAT on Reverb that is wow….
It’s WAY overpriced and screams…. “Look at me” but I like it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#30]
A Telecaster with a Parsons/ White B Bender.

Marty Stuart: The Story of Clarence White & The Parsons/White StringBender | Guitar Stories
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#31]
B-benders are a super niche thing and really a detriment outside of a highly specific style of music and playing.  Like a floating tremolo, I think it is a terrible thing to suggest for a first electric guitar.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:42:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#32]
When you start looking….at tele’s, Strats, LP’s—PRS..etc. - It’s all amazing history-most of which I’ve lived through.  

These guitars are the soundtracks of our lives.

How do you choose just one?  

Thankfully, unless you are a young Brent Mason you don’t have to these days.

Someone said; “does it make you smile”.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Vacuum tubes are robust enough to not get fried by an EMP.  The older amps void of solid state circuitry would still be rocking as long as there's juice to them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Aren't the PRS SE series made by Cort in Indonesia?  I recall 40 years ago when I was learning to play the Fender and Gibson snobs were trashing the Korean guitars from Cort and Sammick.  Also ironic since budget Squier and Epiphone brands are made in Korea.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

Aren't the PRS SE series made by Cort in Indonesia?  I recall 40 years ago when I was learning to play the Fender and Gibson snobs were trashing the Korean guitars from Cort and Sammick.  Also ironic since budget Squier and Epiphone brands are made in Korea.
View All Quotes

The SE's I've owned were made in Indonesia.  PRS is unique that the SE guitars are made in Indonesia and then get shipped to PRS's U.S. factory for QC and adjustment.  I've been happy with the three I've owned.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Vacuum tubes are robust enough to not get fried by an EMP.  The older amps void of solid state circuitry would still be rocking as long as there's juice to them.
View All Quotes

EMP means grid down…grid down= no juice.
I just priced tubes for a Twin Reverb. $467.00. That’s half the price of the amp.
Now I’m looking at the digital Fender Tone Masters.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

My first one was Korean made SE Standard 24, The one I have right now is a Korean made SE Mark Holcomb 6 string. The newer ones are Indonesian, but dont let the factory fool you. The PRS Se line is head, and shoulders above many of the big named american guitars. Dollar for dollar the PRS SE guitars are the best value on the planet right now. They are shipped right to the PRS American factory where every single one is unboxed and hand inspected just like the American core models made right here.

The SE Hollow Body II Piezo that was in the video I shared is going to be my next one. I just need to replenish my toy fund. If you didnt watch that video I encourage you to do so. I dont think there is a tone that thing cant make.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#39]
IIRC the parent company that owns Cort is one of the largest, if no the largest guitar manufacturer/ vendor that builds several other brands.  Their QC is actually pretty good.  If their client requests better quality pickups or tuners, they install them.

As mentioned, this was a different story 40 years ago.  If someone said PRS guitars were going to be built by Cort back then, they would ask you what you were smoking :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I have a PRS SE semi hollow body and it’s a fantastic guitar. My word of advice would be to buy a used one. They don’t seem to hold value very well. I paid $900 for mine new and you can find them used in excellent condition for $400-$500 on Reverb.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SilkyCowboy:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#42]
IIRC the parent company that owns Cort is one of the largest, if no the largest guitar manufacturer/ vendor that builds several other brands.  Their QC is actually pretty good.  If their client requests better quality pickups or tuners, they install them.

As mentioned, this was a different story 40 years ago.  If someone said PRS guitars were going to be built by Cort back then, they would ask you what you were smoking :)
View Quote

PRS SE Factory Tour | 2022 | PRS Guitars
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#43]
How many acoustics do you own? Could you pick just one?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:04:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#44]
Originally Posted By thejokker:

Not true at all.  The same pickup can sound completely different in two different guitars.  A guitar with a Floyd Rose will sound different from a guitar with a hardtail even with the same pickups.  A slim, lightweight, guitar can sound thin with little bottom end compared to a Les Paul with a heavy, dense, mahogany body even with the same pickups.  Yes; selecting pickups and electronics is a major consideration but that selection must match the specific guitar's characteristics.
View All Quotes

post pics!

I don't think so.

Pickups only pick up moving metal in the magnetic field.
Solid wood does not vibrate much, especially  from the sound of un-amplified metal strings, sure you can feel it the vibrations in the wood against your body.

But for the pickups to pickup the vibrations in the wood and color the vibrations of the string, those vibrations in the wood would have to travel through the steel connected to the saddles which for a fixed bridge electric like a LP or SG would be through the posts that hold the saddle into the wood and then through the single tiny contact point where the saddle holds the string. There just is not much contact surface. So while it may be possible to get some coloration from the wood onto the string to be picked up by the pickup, it would be extremely small if any and I just don't think you can hear that if it is there at all. The pickups certainly affect the tone.

For a strat with a tremelo, maybe more vibrations of the wood  travel through the tremelo springs into the bridge and then through the same tiny point of contact with the string, but I doubt it.

The only other contact point which is much bigger would be the fret when a string is fretted and the vibration of the wood and neck would have to travel back to the string via the fret, that might allow more vibration back into the string.

the problem is that all these things are true with an acoustic and I think people mistakenly think it transfers to electrics and I just don't see it.

I could certainly be wrong and the only real way to tell would be to string a string from a nut to a saddle across an air gap and compare that to the same string in tune on a wood guitar  recording both signals using the exact same pickup. See if you can hear a difference and use an oscilloscope and see if the wood guitar recording has any added vibrations super imposed on the pure vibration from the string.

But i don't have an oscilloscope and it would be very time consuming.

ETA:

WHOOSA!.

Look what I found. This guy compares air gapped strings to a tele.

Listen with good headphones or speakers.

Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In An Electric Guitar?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:15:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#45]
Originally Posted By splitbolt:
How many acoustics do you own? Could you pick just one?
View Quote

First question; not enough. Looking for a Santa Cruz OMG or a Lowden O-50 but as a tone whore will fall for so many others.

Second Question; Right now I’ve got this affair going with my Collings SJ in maple.

In a fire—-grab just one guitar and run situation, yes I have one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DM1975:

I have a PRS SE semi hollow body and it’s a fantastic guitar. My word of advice would be to buy a used one. They don’t seem to hold value very well. I paid $900 for mine new and you can find them used in excellent condition for $400-$500 on Reverb.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DM1975:

Along the PRS line I looked at some Knaggs this week. Those guys came out of PRS and build PRS like guitars. Some good deals to be had from them as well.
I can count on one hand the new guitars I’ve bought and I still have them both. There is nothing wrong with respectfully played pre -owned guitars. A lot of boomer “collectors” and guitar whores seem to be letting go of some real treasures right now.

I have an appointment tomorrow to try a couple. A G&L ASAT, a 97 Fender Strat, an 80’s vintage Takamine, and whatever else these guys might have that is of interest.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:58:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#47]

I don't think so.

Solid wood does not vibrate much, especially  from the sound of un-amplified metal strings, sure you can feel it the vibrations in the wood against your body.

But for the pickups to pickup the vibrations in the wood and color the vibrations of the string, those vibrations in the wood would have to travel through the steel connected to the saddles which for a fixed bridge electric like a LP or SG would be through the posts that hold the saddle into the wood and then through the single tiny contact point where the saddle holds the string. There just is not much contact surface. So while it may be possible to get some coloration from the wood onto the string to be picked up by the pickup, it would be extremely small if any and I just don't think you can hear that if it is there at all. The pickups certainly affect the tone.

For a strat with a tremelo, maybe more vibrations of the wood  travel through the tremelo springs into the bridge and then through the same tiny point of contact with the string, but I doubt it.

The only other contact point which is much bigger would be the fret when a string is fretted and the vibration of the wood and neck would have to travel back to the string via the fret, that might allow more vibration back into the string.

the problem is that all these things are true with an acoustic and I think people mistakenly think it transfers to electrics and I just don't see it.

I could certainly be wrong and the only real way to tell would be to string a string from a nut to a saddle across an air gap and compare that to the same string in tune on a wood guitar  recording both signals using the exact same pickup. See if you can hear a difference and use an oscilloscope and see if the wood guitar recording has any added vibrations super imposed on the pure vibration from the string.

View All Quotes

post pics!

I don't think so.

Yes, the acoustic world is very different from the solid body-or even semi hollow body electric world.
In acoustic world you just KNOW every single guitar is different-regardless of actual tone wood choices. There are gross generalizations but HOW the guitar is built is a huge factor.
Thinking about how to design a test rig to try and determine if wood is a variable in an electric would be a fun exercise. Isolate and/or use the exact same pick-ups… Exact same strings….some sort of ransom rest string plucker…it would be like trying to duplicate a bench rest rifle and load and get the same consistency.
Good luck…
PRS says they have disassembled some of the Pick-ups on some of the best guitars on the planet and rebuilt/remanufactured them to make them as close as possible.  My guess is others have done that also.
Ditto with Amps including cloth wrapped wiring.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:04:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#48]
Info on the physics of tone woods.

From Fender;
“At the end of the day, electric guitar tone is a magic brew made up of a lot of factors. And the wood of the neck and body is an ingredient in that recipe.”
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#49]
To me it makes sense that the wood used causes the strings to vibrate differently, thus making a difference in tone. I believe Seymour Duncan did a video on this as well showing how the wood used in their testing changed the tone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Along the PRS line I looked at some Knaggs this week. Those guys came out of PRS and build PRS like guitars. Some good deals to be had from them as well.
I can count on one hand the new guitars I’ve bought and I still have them both. There is nothing wrong with respectfully played pre -owned guitars. A lot of boomer “collectors” and guitar whores seem to be letting go of some real treasures right now.

I have an appointment tomorrow to try a couple. A G&L ASAT, a 97 Fender Strat, an 80’s vintage Takamine, and whatever else these guys might have that is of interest.
View Quote

I'd skip on the '97; unless it's a hardtail.
Swimming pool route...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top