Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2024 11:12:46 PM EDT
I was getting my RG-770 ready to sell and noticed the trem isn't sitting level.  Turned it over and popped the trem cover off and the claw is at max depth with 3 springs, middle spring straight and outer springs angled to the middle.  It's got 9-42's on so I'm not using tow cables or anything.  I searched the internet but everything that came up was how to adjust them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone???  Bueller?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two Floyd Roses and have never had springs stretch out. One of them is nearly 20 years old. But I'm sure it could happen, and you can get replacement springs.

Been a while since I've looked in the back of my guitars but usually there are some long screws anchored into the wood that you can turn to change their length and thus the spring tension.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/floyd-rose-original-floyd-rose-tremolo-springs-pack-of-3/l84473000000000?rNtt=floyd%20rose%20spring&index=2
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
I have two Floyd Roses and have never had springs stretch out. One of them is nearly 20 years old. But I'm sure it could happen, and you can get replacement springs.

Been a while since I've looked in the back of my guitars but usually there are some long screws anchored into the wood that you can turn to change their length and thus the spring tension.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/floyd-rose-original-floyd-rose-tremolo-springs-pack-of-3/l84473000000000?rNtt=floyd%20rose%20spring&index=2
View Quote

Yeah those screws are as deep as they go.  This guitar is 30 years old so I think I'm going to buy new springs and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure they can. Most guitar shops should have spare springs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:19:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#5]
You can order them directly from Floyd Rose as well as numerous other places but if you want an upgrade, try the noiseless strings from FU Tone I have a set on my Ibanez S-series and they do work pretty well. You'll notice the difference most when tuning. They dampen out a lot of the phantom harmonics that come through on electronic tuners. Speaking of FU Tone (they make tone blocks), check your FR's tone block and make sure the screws that secure it to the main body plate aren't coming loose too. Unlikely, but that could certainly account for the springs not pulling the plate all the way down.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Springs lose their spring-iness over time from being worked.  I would imagine they would get worked via vibration and stress from the bridge.  While not huge, the springs would eventually show some wear.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callmestick] [#7]
Originally Posted By cgrant26:
You can order them directly from Floyd Rose as well as numerous other places but if you want an upgrade, try the noiseless strings from FU Tone I have a set on my Ibanez S-series and they do work pretty well. You'll notice the difference most when tuning. They dampen out a lot of the phantom harmonics that come through on electronic tuners. Speaking of FU Tone (they make tone blocks), check your FR's tone block and make sure the screws that secure it to the main body plate aren't coming loose too. Unlikely, but that could certainly account for the springs not pulling the plate all the way down.
View Quote

I've got a set of those on my desk right now.

Edit.  I take that back I got the Floyd Rose noiseless ones.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cgrant26:
View Quote

That's a great call one of the allen nuts that hold the nut on fell out of the back of the neck while I was working on it.  I never thought to check on anything else.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a buddy that swears those springs wear out and need to be changed regularly. Now that might be the case with Floyd Rose, but not on a Fender trem. And even then on a Floyd I’d imagine it would take a ton of dive bombing to get them to wear out. The oldest Floyd I own Ive had for ten years and have never changed the springs. But I hardly ever use it either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
New springs fixed it thankfully.  The block had a miniscule wiggle but I couldn't figure out how to tighten it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By callmestick:
New springs fixed it thankfully.  The block had a miniscule wiggle but I couldn't figure out how to tighten it.
View Quote

I believe there are three screws under the saddles that hold the sustain block in place.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DM1975:

I believe there are three screws under the saddles that hold the sustain block in place.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53155/IMG_5370_jpeg-3194214.JPG
View Quote

That's what I figured, but I had no desire to pull all of the saddles off and re-intonate it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#13]
If you remove the trem and take a phone pic of the saddle positions, it'll be easy to put it back when you re-assemble it. Using the screw positions in the saddles as a reference (and make sure they're in the right hole in the body) the intonation will not be noticeably changed if at all. That would be far better than having a loose sustain block. Also consider that in addition to a loss of sustain and tone with loose screws, you're probably damaging the threads long term.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
They are easy to replace. Depending on the string gage set it it also common to get the bridge to set up level.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
They are easy to replace. Depending on the string gage set it it also common to get the bridge to set up level.
View Quote

Easiest way to level an FR bridge is to block the bridge level, tune the guitar, remove the block, then tighten the springs until it's in tune again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top