Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

but what if it jams after first shot?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.  If 20rnds of 9mm doesn't get me out of my predicament, I'm going to need more than an extra mag

That’s why sketchy aftermarket mags are a great tool at the range. They force you to work on your malfunction clearing unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been using a Mastemind Tactics Lo-pro mag pouch for about 6 months.  I carry it IWB at betweek 10 and 11 o'clock.  Super comfortable and easy to index.   The Snag Mag works pretty well for pocket carry too.
View Quote

This is what I’ve been doing. Works pretty well for me
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I thought this meant reloaded cartridges, which is definitely a no-no.  Prosecutors will say you are some kind of vigilante looking to "kill people faster by making your bullets more powerful," and other dumb shit like that.

But juries don't know the difference, hence the danger.
View Quote

Can you cite one conviction where this happened?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
When I am carrying my S&W .380, I do (it only holds 7 rounds total).  When I am carrying my Glock 19, no, I figure 16 is enough when my job is no longer to run toward danger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I generally carry two extra mags
View Quote

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ In a mag holder on my left side.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Generally I do

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep a spare mag in my truck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes I do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Spare usually stays in the truck, sometimes I toss it in a pocket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this meant reloaded cartridges, which is definitely a no-no.  Prosecutors will say you are some kind of vigilante looking to "kill people faster by making your bullets more powerful," and other dumb shit like that.

Daniel Bias case out of NJ.  Nothing else that I could find on the Google machine, but I'd rather let one of y'all test out using reloads in a defensive shooting situation than me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Immediate actions, preferably behind cover if the situation and time allows for it.

I don modify my mags nor do I carry non-OEM… and I also use them at the range with carry ammo to ensure function. Considering if a mag ever jams I won’t use it to carry and I also clean my gun every 2 weeks my main concern is running empty.

8-12 rounds doesn’t go far on 3 targets at the range.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#12]
It's difficult to demonstrate the necessity or even utility of carrying a reload for an autoloader in a CCW incident in the historical record.
CCWs don't have the duty to confront, arrest, pursue and take into custody, so a running gunfight(such as cops occasionally engage in) is simply not a factor.
Aside from the handful of genuine Active Murderer incidents across the US every year, and assuming that you're not engaging in or subject to vibrant displays of spraying the neighborhood in fits of hysteric rage, the overwhelming use case for a CCW is defense against an armed robbery or a sudden assault at close range, usually by a mentally ill person armed with a contact weapon or a rapist attacking a woman.

These incidents occur at such very close range, literally "conversational" ranges(because the criminal has to talk to you in order to rob you and contact weapons require, well, contact) that they can only last a few seconds. Most people run out of time before they run out of ammo. Either thugs r-u-n-n-o-f-t or you break contact or they're on the ground contemplating new orifices and Life choices.
Finding an historical account where someone emptied their gun, reloaded and re-engaged an active opponent is well nigh impossible. Even in police shootings reloads that affect the outcome beyond simply demoralizing the criminal into surrendering(IOW, the reload saved the officer's life) are outliers of outliers.
Ditto for malfunctions that require more than tap-rack-bang.
Double ditto for reloading a revolver, especially a J-Frame with a Speedloader and most especially from a Speed Strip.
Factor in that a reload is being drawn from concealment, or dug out a pocket, and the shot to shot split begins to use up entire gunfights worth of available time.

Certainly any other force option or med gear would have far more foreseeable utility for the same weight/space penalty.

The most predictably useful additional Deadly Force item is a small pocket pistol. Less so for the traditional BUG roles(though they still obtain) but mainly for the options of "Covered Low Ready" and "Patterned Compliance".
The Covered Low Ready term was coined by Darryl Bolke and is the ability in a possible threat situation to casually slip your hand in your pocket to the gun. Now, without alerting anyone or escalating a situation, you can deliver an untelegraphed sub-second hit at conversational ranges. If the threat dissipates, you withdraw your hand and no one's the wiser. You can also simply habituate yourself to keeping your hand in your pocket in dodgy spots like parking lots  or at gas pumps.

Patterned Compliance is an articulated concept by SouthNarc and refers to a response to suddenly finding a gun in your face. When the robber tells you to give it up, he has given you permission to reach into your pockets.
So from a submissive posture and a running patter of fearful dialogue you reach into your pocket and hand him your wallet, hand him your keys, hand him several bullets in his face. All at the same unhurried natural rhythm.

The combination of a shootable, higher capacity pistol on your belt with a small pocket pistol offers a solution to a lot of commonly met situations that a lightning fast draw and 30 spare rounds just don't. A loaded Glock 19 magazine, for example, weighs the same as a KelTec P-32 and occupies about 2/3 the pocket volume.

Of course, you can always Get Both. But if I'm inclined to carry a lot of things(24/7 over decades please, Mr. Responsible Armed Citizen) in a Civil defensive posture, then the last bit of impedimenta that I'm adding will be a spare mag.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Rarely.

I can't remember the last time I had an OEM magazine caused malfunction in a carry gun, particularly one that couldn't be resolved with tap rack bang.

If you carry a PMR30 you should probably carry 6 or 7 extra magazines.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I sometimes do… sometimes don’t… when I do I usually just throw an extra mag in my pocket and head out but I know I need to be more consistent with carrying a spare on me(usually have a couple spare mags in my truck). Anyway…I’m about to order a new OWB holster for my XMacro Tacops and am considering an OWB mag holder too.

Do you carry a reload(s) with your ccw, if so, how many and how do you carry it?
View Quote

I work plainclothes LE so I carry one everyday anyways.  G45 and a spare so after work it is G43X and a spare. Both ride in Blade-Tech Total Eclipse mag holders.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Always carry at least one spare magazine.

I would tell a story about a situation, but GD can’t handle real world experience, just advise from anonymous sources.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#16]
always x 2
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Always a spare mag offside in a TT Gun Leather convertible mag pouch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Sometimes, depending on where I'm at, what I'm doing, and who I'm with.

I almost always carry a Glock 22, so a spare mag is quite large.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Always 1, sometimes 2.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I carry a Glock 19 with a 17 round backup typically.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I sometimes do  sometimes don't  when I do I usually just throw an extra mag in my pocket and head out but I know I need to be more consistent with carrying a spare on me(usually have a couple spare mags in my truck). Anyway I'm about to order a new OWB holster for my XMacro Tacops and am considering an OWB mag holder too.

Do you carry a reload(s) with your ccw, if so, how many and how do you carry it?
View Quote
Yes, Right side carry my weapon, 1 17 round mag on my left side.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I don’t think it’s mandatory but I generally do in one of 2 setups like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't remember where or how I heard that tidbit, but I've been following that advice for years now, right or wrong.  I think Ayoob says the same thing, and no i didn't buy one of his carry shirts or other shit he hawks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Massad Ayooh?
Don't remember where or how I heard that tidbit, but I've been following that advice for years now, right or wrong.  I think Ayoob says the same thing, and no i didn't buy one of his carry shirts or other shit he hawks.

Prosecutors will use anything you did and didn’t do. Kyle Rittenhouse is an excellent example. He had cheap target FMJ rounds and they tore him apart for using “full metal jacket designed for maximum penetration” imagine what they’d have said if he had hunting rounds? Or some personal protection ammo. He was out there to hunt these victims. Or he knew he was going to kill people so he used the most deadly ammo he could find.

Anything and everything you do or don’t do WILL be used against you. Believe that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Magazines are a failure point, I always carry at least one.  With revolvers, it's a capacity issue.  I always have a couple speed strips in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Just factory ammo for personal defense.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's difficult to demonstrate the necessity or even utility of carrying a reload for an autoloader in a CCW incident in the historical record.
CCWs don't have the duty to confront, arrest, pursue and take into custody, so a running gunfight(such as cops occasionally engage in) is simply not a factor.
Aside from the handful of genuine Active Murderer incidents across the US every year, and assuming that you're not engaging in or subject to vibrant displays of spraying the neighborhood in fits of hysteric rage, the overwhelming use case for a CCW is defense against an armed robbery or a sudden assault at close range, usually by a mentally ill person armed with a contact weapon or a rapist attacking a woman.

These incidents occur at such very close range, literally "conversational" ranges(because the criminal has to talk to you in order to rob you and contact weapons require, well, contact) that they can only last a few seconds. Most people run out of time before they run out of ammo. Either thugs r-u-n-n-o-f-t or you break contact or they're on the ground contemplating new orifices and Life choices.
Finding an historical account where someone emptied their gun, reloaded and re-engaged an active opponent is well nigh impossible. Even in police shootings reloads that affect the outcome beyond simply demoralizing the criminal into surrendering(IOW, the reload saved the officer's life) are outliers of outliers.
Double ditto for reloading a revolver, especially a J-Frame with a Speedloader and most especially from a Speed Strip.
Factor in that a reload is being drawn from concealment, or dug out a pocket, and the shot to shot split begins to use up entire gunfights worth of available time.

Certainly any other force option or med gear would have far more foreseeable utility for the same weight/space penalty.

The most predictably useful additional Deadly Force item is a small pocket pistol. Less so for the traditional BUG roles(though they still obtain) but mainly for the options of "Covered Low Ready" and "Patterned Compliance".
The Covered Low Ready term was coined by Darryl Bolke and is the ability in a possible threat situation to casually slip your hand in your pocket to the gun. Now, without alerting anyone or escalating a situation, you can deliver an untelegraphed sub-second hit at conversational ranges. If the threat dissipates, you withdraw your hand and no one's the wiser. You can also simply habituate yourself to keeping your hand in your pocket in dodgy spots like parking lots  or at gas pumps.

Patterned Compliance is an articulated concept by SouthNarc and refers to a response to suddenly finding a gun in your face. When the robber tells you to give it up, he has given you permission to reach into your pockets.
So from a submissive posture and a running patter of fearful dialogue you reach into your pocket and hand him your wallet, hand him your keys, hand him several bullets in his face. All at the same unhurried natural rhythm.

The combination of a shootable, higher capacity pistol on your belt with a small pocket pistol offers a solution to a lot of commonly met situations that a lightning fast draw and 30 spare rounds just don't. A loaded Glock 19 magazine, for example, weighs the same as a KelTec P-32 and occupies about 2/3 the pocket volume.

Of course, you can always Get Both. But if I'm inclined to carry a lot of things(24/7 over decades please, Mr. Responsible Armed Citizen) in a Civil defensive posture, then the last bit of impedimenta that I'm adding will be a spare mag.

View Quote

Like, we’re supposed to READ all this shit?

Just kidding.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

People don't realize that a prosecutor will ALWAYS use sensational emotionally charged statements....none of it is based in fact or really part of a trial it's durring open/closing arguments...

If you use FMJs you wanted to mame and showed reckless disregard for bystanders.

Hollow points are because you wanted to inflict as much pain and suffering as possible.

Reloads are because you are a vigilante looking for a fight.

Carry a standard cap magazine, you think your a cop and out to find trouble

Dust cover says something on it(the your fucked guy)

Etc......and it's all irelevant, the most important part is your justification and actual actions.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Massad Ayooh?

Ayoob talked about reloads in one of his books, I don't remember which one. In the case he referenced, the person was a reloader who was developing new loads. Each round in the gun had a different powder charge. He shot someone in self defense with one of the reloads. When the lab test fired his gun, the next round produced a radically different powder stippling than was at the shooting. That called into question his statements about the self defense shooting. He had to explain  and convince people why his statements were accurate. Had he used factory ammo, or had a supply of identical reloads in the gun, he'd have been fine.

Simply put, using reloads isn't the issue. The issue is having consistent self defense loads in the event the court feels that's important to their case. Reducing the number of areas a prosecutor can attack you is a good thing.

EDIT: I went looking for details of the case I mentioned, and found a thread where reload use is discussed. It mentions several cases where the ammunition was an issue. I'm leaving the link cold, not sure if AR15.com likes links to other sites.

https://www.gunforums.net/threads/cases-where-handloads-caused-problems-in-court-by-mas-ayoob.5514/
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
My first ccw permit mandated a class, on the second day the Leo who was leading the class said this:

"iIf you're forced to shoot someone, it's a good idea to empty the weapon into the person. That way if it goes to court you can answer, I was so afraid I just kept pulling the trigger"

40 years later I still wonder about tidbit of information.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#31]
You really really need to carry at least one spare mag.

Not because you might need the ammo.

But because certain malfunctions in semi-auto pistols require you remove the mag to fix.

If the mag you take out of the gun gets lost while you fix the jam under stress and you can't find it and don't have another mag on you, you are SOL.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Daniel Bias case out of NJ.  Nothing else that I could find on the Google machine, but I'd rather let one of y'all test out using reloads in a defensive shooting situation than me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not a self defense case, it was the shooting of his wife which resulted in her death.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I do not, but I also CC a fairly large pistol (VP9) with 18 rounds in it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That is not a self defense case, it was the shooting of his wife which resulted in her death.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but the only case I saw during my quick search that had reloaded ammunition as a factor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I do in a jm custom carrier. Carrying aiwb it always feels like a lump at my 1-1:30, because there is. Spare mag at 11 makes it feel more balanced, as all things should be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Depends, mostly varies with what I'm wearing. If I'm wearing jeans, sure, I'll carry an extra mag, the extra weight is negligible and have plenty of pockets. If I'm wearing sweats or gym shorts, typically no, just the 12+1 in my P365XL. Also depends where I'm going/what I'll be doing. During the winter and going downtown for the day? Prodigy with 17+1 and a 20rd spare. Summer and headed to my parent's place, or just picking kids up from daycare and heading back home? Just the P365XL.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Glock 19 with 15+1. Reload is a Glock 17 magazine with a Glock +2 base and an 11 coil magazine spring for a total of 35 rounds. Sometimes I carry an additional 17+2.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes I carry a reload.  To extra mags when carrying my P938 or Glock 42 and one extra 12 round mag with my P365.

Patrick

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

His name was "markfall."

Alas, we knew him well.

View Quote
It's okay. I'm going to have all these dead "I didn't carry a reload to Costco " guys to keep me company in the hereafter.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, one reload in a Sticky Mag Holster shoved in a cargo pocket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I dont carry an extra.  I have a wallet, a pocketknife, phone and a gun.  Not really on duty here.
View Quote

If you are an American citizen on American soil, you are on duty.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#42]
2 spares carry a full-size m&p 2.0 with tlr1
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#43]
No.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's okay. I'm going to have all these dead "I didn't carry a reload to Costco " guys to keep me company in the hereafter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His name was "markfall."

Alas, we knew him well.

You won't see me there, because of my religious faith.

I belong to the "Church of Latter Day Max Ammo Carry."

If they try to take ME down in the fresh produce aisle at Walmart, I am going out LOUD, baby!

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.  I carry a G43.  The spare mag is a little larger than a lighter.  I don’t even notice it in my weak side pocket.  I have been thinking about getting a 43X.  If I do I won’t carry the spare mag.  The G43 is a fantastic concealed carry gun but does have limited capacity.  Even so 7+1 and a 7 round reload is fine for me for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I almost always carry two extra mags.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is my position.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm in the shitpit of NYS. So reloads are essential. Walther PPS with a 7 rounder x 2
Or a mdl 66 snubbie with a speedloader and/or a speedstrip
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#49]
So after posting this last night I went online and started searching…. I’ve had OWB mag carriers before that I really didn’t use because it was uncomfortable for me. I always ended up just putting it in my pocket because it was more comfortable.

After a bunch of searching and reviews I found a video for Neomag… they had same day delivery on Amazon so I said “fuck it” and decided to order it. I ordered the Glock version because it had an extra magnet and paid more than I wanted to for something so simple… but I got it today… and have to say… I like it a lot and it super comfortable(for me).
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#50]
1911 in the waistband , 2 spare mags in the other side of the waistband.

Sometimes a spare smaller 1911 somewhere else on person
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top