Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#1]
Sometimes.  I live in the 3rd largest city in San Diego County.

1. The police range is probably about 1 mile away. If I'm outside or the windows open sometimes you can faintly hear them shooting at times.

2. The edge of Camp Pendleton is about 1.5 miles away. Conditions have to be just right to hear gunfire from there.

3. It's been a couple decades since I've heard anything that I thought was gunshots from other than those 2 places. I'm sure there are, but I haven't heard them.  There was a car jacking shooting a few years ago about 3/4 mile away on halloween but I was already inside and didn't hear it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:14:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Need4Guns] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:

Are they gun people that recognize a gun shot? A lot of noises in cities can sound like gun shots.

I've had friends over that are non-gun people and they assume everything is a gun shot. From a car backfiring, college kids lighting firecrackers, someone slamming a dumpster lid, etc..

Just the other day I walking my dogs and a friend was convinced someone nearby had a machine gun.

I then explained what an anti-lag system was on a turbo car. 30 seconds later a lowered WRX drives by popping away.
View Quote

Lol, yeah they're "gun people" and live in Richmond proper, whatever you want to call that. It's not the hood but the hoods not far. Gunshots are a regular thing.

Having driven through where they live I can believe it. Most major cities are garbage unless you're in the gated part. Even then I would bet you can still hear shots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Independence Day, New Years Eve, and other odd occasions, sure. Dallas suburbs know how to Fiesta!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:
Whether you're rural (like me) or city/suburbs, do you hear shots from your home?

View Quote
Dude lol, no. Not ever not once. Small town and if someone did hear it holy shit the karening would be insane. I'd also be listing my house for sale that next prime selling season.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m suburbs, we are just outside city limits and live on 3acre lots. Neighbor catty corner from me likes to shoot… he has a 1-2ft tall burm and my other neighbors house as a backstop. Dudes stupid as fuck to shoot around here, but it’s technically legal until he misses that burm and hits a neighbor or their property.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Almost nightly and multiple times as well.  Surrounded by the hood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.  Sometimes the sound of freedom can be heard from the near by fort.  Sometimes I guess it is hood rats
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bob6012:
I hear artillery regularly.

Does that count?
View Quote

Fort Pickett is 40ish miles from me and when they do artillery drills my windows rattle.

I can't imagine living within 10 miles of that base.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I don’t live in the sticks, but there are four gun ranges within 1/2 mile of my house.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I live across the road from Hurlburt Field, AFSOC.  I hear everything from 9mm to 105mm.  Love those AC130s.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredGrey] [#11]
I live…not that far from a part of this city where I don’t walk after 10pm.

I have occasionally heard gunfire at night.

There were a couple of nights during 2020 when my car got parked sideways across the alley along my house, and the sofa was moved against the front door. Just in case.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By -MainDisconnect-:
Yes, our private range is less than one mile away. 0900-dark.
View Quote

Very similar here, 180+ acre fish & game club less than a mile away.  The gate to the club property is 1/4 mile from my driveway, and their ranges start another 1/2 mile away.  I hear gunshots frequently but not daily.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a canned hunting preserve kind of near me, so sometimes. And sometimes I hear what might be guns or fireworks. When it is really weird timed pops I tend to perk up. You know, when it doesn't sound like a string of firecrackers or a cake-type firework.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, from the gun range on the other side of the village
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, but I live next to the public school system track. Heard quite a bit of gunfire from the HS track meet yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear automatic gunfire almost daily out here from multiple directions.

This is Idaho where almost everyone shoots.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I live in the thick of the burbs, but a law enforcement range is about 3 miles west of me.  If the wind and humidity is right I can hear rifle fire.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
yes

there is nothing between this and my house besides river bed...

pew pew
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#19]
No the constant ringing blocks out that tone
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Lol, yeah they're "gun people" and live in Richmond proper, whatever you want to call that. It's not the hood but the hoods not far. Gunshots are a regular thing.

Having driven through where they live I can believe it. Most major cities are garbage unless you're in the gated part. Even then I would be you can still hear shots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:

Are they gun people that recognize a gun shot? A lot of noises in cities can sound like gun shots.

I've had friends over that are non-gun people and they assume everything is a gun shot. From a car backfiring, college kids lighting firecrackers, someone slamming a dumpster lid, etc..

Just the other day I walking my dogs and a friend was convinced someone nearby had a machine gun.

I then explained what an anti-lag system was on a turbo car. 30 seconds later a lowered WRX drives by popping away.

Having driven through where they live I can believe it. Most major cities are garbage unless you're in the gated part. Even then I would be you can still hear shots.

You think everyone in every part of a large (major) city can hear gunshots in every other part of the same large (major) city?  That's ratarded.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Multiple times a day/night when I lived in Aurora, but not now.  There is a bagged salad plant nearby that pops high pressure reliefs every few days which causes a lot of OMG posting on next door.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Nope.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

You think everyone in every part of a large (major) city can hear gunshots in every other part of the same large (major) city?  That's ratarded.

View Quote

Well I can only speak for Richmond but I can imagine at least a dozen other major cities off the top of my head that would be the same.

Normally most folks would agree.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Out in the country.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#26]
There are at least three ranges in this pic; one of them is mine.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Pretty much every day and I live within the city limits of a small city in southern Middle Tennessee. Of course, it's the only city in TN which owns its own range open to the public and it's literally on the other side of a hill from my apartment complex. The sound of freedom is glorious.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
There are at least three ranges in this pic; one of them is mine.  

https://i.imgur.com/LfOaVS4.jpg
View Quote
thats like a candy bar to a fat kid, except land and range to a Californian.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I live in a decent neighborhood. Heard gunfire last night right down the street but who knows what they were doing. I don’t care. Growing up shooting in my back yard it’s just another day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
LOL, not as much as of late since the farmer next door rented out the place, but YEAH, he clearly shot all the time in the barn.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope. Upscale area. Any gunshots from the Miami locusts leaving the beach would be drowned out by the traffic on 75 (especially the bikes winding out to 10k rpms.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#32]
at the moment? no.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:46:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#33]
Neighbor has a problem with ground squirrels and they have horses, so .22's are common, Other neighbor has coyotes come around so .223 is heard, I keep my 6.5x55 at the ready if the yotes want to come over to my place.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I live next to a high security facility and the closest presidential emergency facility to DC.   Their security staff trains regularly with all kinds of glorious devices.

And occasionally you can hear private folks shooting too
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I live about a mile and a half from the local club.  Despite a large hill between us l know when someone is at the range.  

Probably the echo of the large mesa they use as a backstop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Yup. Shakes my house sometimes.

25mm,120mm tank and mortar, 155mm, Machineguns, demo, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:53:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott_S] [#37]
Yes, I do hear gunfire from my home, but it’s hunters on the large acreage nearby.  I live in Austin.  

When I lived in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas it wasn’t hunters.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes

Every few days when the weather's nice

I should've never taught my cats to hone there fire a nd maneuvering tactics out back

My shooting bench

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Just about every weekend out here in rural ag land.
I've heard shooting in the suburbs on the edge of rural land back in central Florida, but I was never sure if it was people doing bad things or just people shooting at the edge of legal areas.
Only time I've heard shooting in a city was when I was staying at my sister's house in south Boston back in the 80s.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:04:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#40]
Yes, but I live in a residential neighborhood with the lots 2 acres and up. Used to be someone that hunted the power line coming through the neighborhood and it kept the deer population down. It stopped a few years back but luckily someone is back to hunting/shooting on their lot every now and then but not enough. Someone pistol shoots every few months a little and every now and then you hear someone I guess testing a new gun they got with a few shots. At night on occasion you hear a shot I guess someone shooting at an unwanted critter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Neighborhood here. Yes, usually because it’s me shooting.

Earlier today, because fuck these assholes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:08:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jsg7162] [#42]
Almost daily. Small arms, LMG, 50 cal and EOD/Ordnance.  I have a training base for a neighbor.  They were lighting off a shit ton of ordnance last week.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Heard them when we lived in the city. Decided to GTFO.
Still hear them out here in the sticks, but it's different.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Generally only from me or during hunting season. I do have one weekend/seasonal neighbor who I do not care for and who does not hunt but enjoys shooting. I just do not appreciate him firing hundred of rounds starting at 7am on a weekend.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#45]
The most dangerous thing I hear is Lions roaring.
Serious.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#46]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:
The most dangerous thing I hear is Lions roaring.
Serious.
View Quote

Maybe we could hook up?
I will bust a cap on one of those bad boys with my .270 Win mag and fuck they world up real good. You know, unless it wasn't cool and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#47]
Rural acreage- all the damned time!  Every day basically, from multiple directions.  Nobody cares, it is cool…

I add to it occasionally, but try to be polite- no really loud guns, so mainly pistols/suppressed stuff.  It isn’t that far to the neighbors, and I have a membership at an actual range as well.

People opposed to gunfire noise need to stay in the cities and suburbs.

Added- I hear it occasionally at late at night as well.  Figure it is someone taking out a coyote, so I generally I am thinking “aim well!” but also kind of irritated if it wakes me up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I voted "Everybody out in the sticks shoots" but it actually isn't everybody. I shoot at my place.
There's definitely 3 families/locations around me who shoot automatic weapons too (which is great).
Nobody calls the sheriff's office about it (and if they did, it wouldn't work anyway) since it's not illegal.

There is a city on the other side of this county where people shoot at each other almost every month, but their marksmanship is generally poor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Of course.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes, don’t live in the sticks but have a couple gun ranges within earshot range.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top