Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/10/2024 9:08:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: YXZ1000R]
Curious who is happy with their career / job choice and who hates it?  Do you have passion for your job, or do you loathe getting up in the morning?  Do you own the company or are you an employee?

What is your career and why do you love or hate it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I love what I do. Love most of the people I work with. It can get pretty chaotic and stressful at times, but it interests me and I enjoy the challenge.

The only I thing I would change is that I wish I had more time to really dig into things. I would enjoy it even more then.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my profession, but the company I work for is a mess.  Unfortunately, most of the companies I can move to are just as bad, so I am just focusing on doing a good job and not getting caught up in the BS.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Self employed.  Love the ability to make as much as I want.  Hate not having any free time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my kid. I love my wife. I do not love my job.

I don't hate what I do for a living though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Somewhere in between maybe?  I like my job and am happy with it.  I'm not the "live to work" type so I don't know if I would love any job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Was a good company, got bought up by an investment firm.

It's been woke nonsense, DEI, and ESG ever since.

But they pay more than any company closer to home.

My entire team is conservative/republicans. We are sticking together and hoping to weather the storm.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm an Automation Engineer with a very large company. My job is generally easy, nobody messes with me, I have almost zero stress, I work with great people AND they pay me a ridiculous amount of money to do what I do.

That said, I want to do something else, it's just natural.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to love it when I started (finance) but I've moved on to other things mentally. But I'm very grateful that it allows us to live a good life.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#9]
i don't technically like my job as it's high stress, but i love medical sales and the money it brings in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#11]
28 years in the medical field in radiology and nursing. If asked, I tell folks to avoid the medical field.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I think there needs to another choice between "loving it" and "it pays the bills".

I love it more than anything else I can think of making a living at and am very glad to have it.

I enjoy the technical parts of it, don't enjoy the administrative parts of it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eitek1:
I'm an Automation Engineer with a very large company. My job is generally easy, nobody messes with me, I have almost zero stress, I work with great people AND they pay me a ridiculous amount of money to do what I do.

View Quote

That's my world.  How do you have zero stress in automation lol?  I think I've taken 25 years off my life so far.  This is year 20 in it for me.

As far as the money - if you're a controls engineer who is good, you can basically demand what you want in most cases.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:37:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#14]
I'm a teacher. I like working with young people, and it has it's fulfilling moments. The bullshit bureaucracy and general stupidity makes it almost intolerable, sometimes. The pay is also pretty bad, without much chance for increases. The only path to advancement is not something I want to do.

I'm also a father, and this allows me to spend a lot of quality time with my son while we're on school breaks. We go on trips, go fishing, go to the beach - and this year, he'll be going to the club shooting with me. This is why I keep doing it. By the time he's finished with school, I'll be too old to start a new career, so this is probably it for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my wife and our dogs and cat. I don't mind scooping poop. I like working on what I want, when I want.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eitek1:

View Quote

Did I write this?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I look forward to go to work every day.  7 years ago, I dreaded going to work.  It was depressing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#18]
After retiring from policing, I went to insurance and figured out people actually hate insurance companies more than cops.

Learned the industry and got to apply some previous job skills there.

Now I'm an arbitrator and it is the greatest gig I've had in decades.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:53:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Goodn] [#19]
I love what I do,  and most of the people I work with are good.  
Customers..  mostly good people.  some are cunts,  some of those are for good reason.. some are just miserable assholes.

But the company seems to make it a goal to make my job as difficult to accomplish as possible.

They are the ones that piss off their customers.  I am the one that has to put in the extra effort to try to make it right with my work.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I loved my career.

I loved being in the military, even more after spending a second career as a civilian and gaining more perspective.

The career fields I was in: broadcast television and radio, combat systems, and later IT were challenging.

It was only when I became management rather than a supervisor is when things got boring.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:02:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#21]
Yes.

Edit: I like what I do but nearly everything is a mega turbo rush job, which fact gets conveniently forgotten when it's time for delivery and the first article doesn't necessarily work exactly right. Lots of stress there. I daydream sometimes about just cutting grass for a living or some shit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#22]
For most of my multiple careers I really enjoyed everything about what I did.
Then my wife got hurt and I had to take this job. It's been downhill ever since.
I used to be the smartest guy in the room and got to dance on the bleeding edge of technology.
Now I've been reduced to a damn file clerk, and I hate everything I have to do to for insurance and a paycheck.
I'm that whore that used to get a couple thousand a night but now ... well 5 dollars is 5 dollars.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:05:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#23]
Depends on the day. The day someone truly benefits from what I’m doing and has a better day as a result then I love it. The day your setting there at the end wondering why some people do shit they do or why you can’t save the ones that can’t be saved it sucks.
ETA: Cop
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I love the job I am trained and licensed to do. I fucking LOATHE the work I end up being required to do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:07:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRShooter] [#25]
The positives out way the negatives. I still recommend it to others.  

Airline pilot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#26]
If I won the lottery, I would quit tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#27]
41 years as an engineer, I used to enjoy it but for the last 20 or so years it's just been a way to make a decent living and afford nice things
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I was 18 Cat assigned to a SR/DA HALO Team....It wasn't a Job, it was an adventure that never stopped.  Then I got paid to chase bad people across the USA....I never had a job, I had adventures with great guys!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#30]
my job - no
my career/skill focus - yes

We recently had an ownership change, so we'll see what the new direction of the company will be. It traditionally was a fiefdom-heavy org, where the sales manager was/is overly protective of the sales team. How they're so busy and can't be bothered with certain things. Other sales people shun any proactive engagement with customers.

I was working on an online portal for all the sales tools and product information to be accessed internally only, so people don't download/save the information locally and end up being out of date when we change something. I get "who told you to do that?" In my initial interview, the company owner said "we're heavily automated, as much as we can, so we have that advantage over our competitors."

Bull. S**t. Our ecommerce system doesn't talk to our in-house sales/accounting software. Every online order has to be manually entered into the main system. Our marketing system doesn't talk to either. Our phone system, which connects multiple offices across the US, is about 95% reliable.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an outrageous amount of fun doing my job.  I realize that I'm lucky on that front.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I love it at its core, but hot damn there is just so much paperwork it dampens a lot of the enthusiasm.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I have never had a job I actually liked.  And I've worked in a lot of different fields over the years.

Every moment I spend working, I am trading away my life making other people wealthy and secure, and I never get paid enough to get ahead myself.  

There is always something else I'd rather be doing.  

I just endure it because I am trapped with no other ootions.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#34]
We live in the age of the woman and that seems impossible to escape in most professions these days.

So, I deal with the modern professional landscape and navigate it to the best of my ability while counting the days until I no longer have to self-censor and walk on egg shells to avoid upsetting or scaring my fragile coworkers.

I fully recognize and have accepted that we're living through the collapse of Western civilization. I do what I can to enjoy my life and what time we have been given before we enter an Orwellian or Mad Max future.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Been at my current job for 24yrs.  Started fresh out of college. It's stable, the pan is good, but in the end it's still a job. I trade stability and money to support my family for "fun".
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Professional shitposter is pretty ok but the trolls get annoying sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I used to love it. Now I more at a like/tolerate level most days.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I own my own business and I used to love it.  Been beaten down by the government for so long that I wake up dreading it now.  If I permanently closed it today, I'd feel relieved.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By YXZ1000R:
Curious who is happy with their career / job choice and who hates it?  Do you have passion for your job, or do you loathe getting up in the morning?  Do you own the company or are you an employee?

What is your career and why do you love or hate it?
View Quote
I run an ISP, title is Manager or Director, depending on the day.
I do the day to day phone support, field calls for new service or upgrades, customer bills and account changes, upgrades and maintenance of the network, project manage and implement network additions, upgrades and repairs.

I love my job when things are going right. But I hate the stress and that I'm on call 24/7/365.  I can't tell you how many family or personal events I have missed or had to bail on because of the latest fire drill.

I spent part of Saturday night and all of Sunday rebuilding a 420' Fixed Wireless tower, then on Wednesday we had quite a weather shit show with a few Tornadoes briefly passing through, so I spent 16+ hours yesterday rebuilding it again.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I loathe my career. I have for decades. However, I’ve got commitments and family that depend on me.

I’m at a point where I can retire with probably enough money to live OK for the rest of my life OR I can stay four more years and retire with more money.

I’m going to retire now. Worst case scenario is I’m spending more time fishing from bridges than fishing off boats, drinking cheaper booze and hitting on domestic women instead of going international.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I love to work but I wouldn’t say I love my job.

If I could pick a reasonable career (pro athlete or actor or some shit) I’d own my own excavation company. I think I’d enjoy that
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I voted "I deal with it."

I actually hate my job with a fiery hot passion, but don't hate my life as a result of it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Its amazing..   how possible it is to turn the simplest tasks into a major clusterfuck.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I love my career. However, I frequently regret my decision to leave my prior employer for my current one. I was promised more money for less work and less stress. It ended up being less money for more work and more stress with less benefits.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I work in big tech, I do not enjoy it but “it pays the bills”. I miss my days of running gun ranges and the people that brought into my life.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#46]
I never had a job/career I didn't love except for working in a Mental Hospital while in Grad school. Working all night and then going to 6 hours of classes was a bitch. The 6 attempted stabbings by insane patients were no fun to deal with either. Still, it was a valuable experience. The biggest lesson was that the most dangerous mental patients in the world were not in the hospital. They were in government. When a patient tried to stab you, most were momentarily out of their minds. With politicians, they know exactly what they are doing, and this results in a permanent state of ecstasy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Love is a strong word.

I am generally happy with my career and normally enjoy going to work. There are of course times that are unenjoyable, but thankfully it's not too often.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I have good days and bad. I have rewarding projects and tasks. Most my users are decent smart people who make an effort but some are belligerent self entitled apathetic people who believe by demanding I have to stop by to reset their password every 90 days because "ain't my yob" attitude persists can suck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Love it, started in the mail room at an investment firm, it’s been an amazing ride. Comp is based on revenue and it’s pretty much unlimited.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#50]
I love the job but I despise the industry.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top