Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

I've had people here tell me flat out I was ignorant about a subject that just happens to be what I do every single day for a living, with their only experience being "I had it done once and it failed". I tried to explain why it failed, based on their description of the failure, and they told me I didn't have any idea what I was talking about.

I just shut up and went on about my day
View Quote
Had a friend who bitched about some racers in a road race we were watching were "cheating" by hopping the gatorbacks with 2 wheels in corners and then told me I dont know anything even though I've been road racing since 1987. He's never turned a wheel in anger EVER and knows I race. Even funnier when he tried to tell me drafting doesnt work road racing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it's why I don't claim to be an authority on anything.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:38:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ButterBacon] [#4]
Experience vs education doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive.

With zero experience your education has no context and you will struggle to recognize when it’s appropriate to apply what.

That being said, education can make experience go much further than experience with no education. If you have a lot of experience doing something poorly, you’re pretty well entrenched into bad habits and have to unlearn them.

Use the context of what this site is about. Shooting.

Imagine just giving a total newb an AR, 10000 rounds, and zero instruction (they’re not allowed to look up anything either). How good of a shooter do you think they’ll be after going through all that ammo?

Now give someone quality instruction by someone who’s good at teaching and only 1000 rounds.

Who do you think will be better at shooting after finishing their ammo allowance?

ETA: in this example education and no experience would be a total newb following an expert shooter for 3 days and having everything shown to them, but not being allowed to even touch the gun. At the end of it they get handed a 10 round mag and told to shoot a group.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
People without experience don’t think experience is necessary because they’re inexperienced.
View Quote

Dunning-Kruger effect is real.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 3BP:

Like LE threads??????

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3BP:
Originally Posted By shotar:

That can be said about a lot of people who are very good at what they do, who used to give advice here.

Too many people who have never done what they do, were experts on the subject.

Like LE threads??????

What about them?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do these poll results run counter to what you regularly see in GD?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:48:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#8]
Every aviation thread since 2001 has been overwhelmed and ruined by comments from fake wannabe history channel/computer flight sim “pilots”.

We also have at least 20-40 active members who make a living aviating, so there is a wealth of information; but a person looking for knowledge would have a hard time separating the wheat from the chaff.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
Why do these poll results run counter to what you regularly see in GD?
View Quote

Whatever do you mean?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

Whatever do you mean?
View Quote

I guess he means the plague of know-it-alls that argue with SMEs and in some cases, run the SMEs off.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

I guess he means the plague of know-it-alls that argue with SMEs and in some cases, run the SMEs off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Whatever do you mean?

Oh. That happens here?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Experience is invaluable. A good example would be anthropology. An educated person who goes into the field and ingratiate himself with a new culture-has very little experience with how his bias affects his observations and interactions. However once gaining that knowledge it becomes a comparison which strengthens biases. This is probably true for most fields.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Every aviation thread since 2001 has been overwhelmed and ruined by comments from fake wannabe history channel/computer flight sim “pilots”.

We also have at least 20-40 active members who make a living aviating, so there is a wealth of information; but a person looking for knowledge would have a hard time separating the wheat from the chaff.  

View Quote

Its been awhile since I checked out an aviation thread. I will go find one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Experience certainly counts.
BUT, it often only means something when you have the basis (education in the theory) to understand what it means.  Otherwise, you get a hell of a lot of, "That's just way we have always done it."
Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#15]
It depends.

People learn differently , some folks learn slow or don't learn well unless they have hands on experience.

It is also very different depending on the task.

I can watch and listen to Jerry Mitchlik all day long and while it might improve my shooting skills somewhat I will need to actually try some of those skills to see how I do.  Regardless, I will not be shooting like Jerry!

In my pistol classes some folks listen to my description of how to shoot some drill and can visualize what I want them to do (or not do) and then actually do that skill.

Other folks listen and say yup,yup yes , and when asked to demonstrate that drill or skill they do everything but the correct skill
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#16]
There was a segment on Fox Business News yesterday that stated many businesses are now valuing experience over degrees and diplomas.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#17]

What about them?
View Quote

I was referring to his last paragraph.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Like the should I reuse my oil filter thread from the other day?

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Does experience matter? (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top