Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2024 1:53:12 PM EDT
Have you heard any urban legends people insist are true? Over the years, I’ve heard a version of this story from 3 unrelated people. It goes something like this:

My grandfather owned a hardware store for many years. He fought in WWII and kept souvenirs around the store, in particular, was a piece of metal he used as a door stopper. One day, a customer told him “You know that’s a bomb, right?” My grandfather didn’t believe him and said “Yeah right.” The customer insisted it was and that he call the authorities to dispose of it. Still not believing the customer, my grandfather called it in. Sure enough, the disposal team told him it was a mine. My grandfather’s face turned white. The team took it to a field and blew it up. It left a crater the size of a bus.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard that one. Last one I heard making the rounds before the net was "The call was from inside the house!" one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer] [#2]
There was the meteorite worth 100k that was discovered being  used as a doorstop.

https://www.space.com/42084-valuable-michigan-meteorite-used-as-doorstop.html

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Door stopper and left a hole the size of a bus don’t jive.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACDer:
There was the meteorite worth 100k that was discovered being  used as a doorstop.

https://www.space.com/42084-valuable-michigan-meteorite-used-as-doorstop.html

View Quote

I remember reading that recently.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By VidaEterna:
View Quote

Maybe it was a hot wheels bus.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
That's just an old crapper tank!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:08:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dyezak] [#8]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
Have you heard any urban legends people insist are true? Over the years, I’ve heard a version of this story from 3 unrelated people. It goes something like this:

My grandfather owned a hardware store for many years. He fought in WWII and kept souvenirs around the store, in particular, was a piece of metal he used as a door stopper. One day, a customer told him “You know that’s a bomb, right?” My grandfather didn’t believe him and said “Yeah right.” The customer insisted it was and that he call the authorities to dispose of it. Still not believing the customer, my grandfather called it in. Sure enough, the disposal team told him it was a mine. My grandfather’s face turned white. The team took it to a field and blew it up. It left a crater the size of a bus.
View Quote

I don't know about that urban legend, but I do know we had a local WWII vet who died back in 2004 (or 2005) in central TX.  Dude had a stash of old pineapple grenades in his garage.  Sheriff called Ft. Hood's EOD team.  Damn E4 that went out there wanted to detonate it in place, in city limits, in this dude's garage.  Another phone call to the commander and direction was given to transport the ordinance to Ft. Hood for disposal.

So because of this experience I had, I tend to belive some of these urban legends like OP's.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Been a while and I forgot, but yeah I've heard that one. My favorite is "if you ask them if they're a cop and they are, they HAVE TO TELL YOU!" And also "if you take 7 hits of LSD you're legally insane."
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

Been a while and I forgot, but yeah I've heard that one. My favorite is "if you ask them if they're a cop and they are, they HAVE TO TELL YOU!" And also "if you take 7 hits of LSD you're legally insane."
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I would think that in Europe they've been dealing with all sorts of UXO for the last century
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
I would think that in Europe they've been dealing with all sorts of UXO for the last century
View Quote

The storytellers were American.

The crater was a different size in each story. The one I remember was “you could drive a bus into it.”
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Remember the old one about not swimming within 30 minutes of eating or you would get a cramp and drown?   LoL what bullshit we use to believe before the internet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:20:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vague] [#14]
They could shoot our ammo in their rifles, but we couldn't shoot theirs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:21:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#15]
I’d think the chances of a munition small enough to be used as a door stop also having the ability to make a bus sized crater in an open field would be about nil.  That’s a huge crater.

While I’m sure crazy stuff has happened like that somewhere, any time I hear someone try to tell a story like that I just automatically assume it to be bullshit.  May not even be their fault, it may have been told to them by an older relative who they trust.  Bullshit nonetheless.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer] [#16]
https://forums.canadiancontent.net/threads/elderly-woman-used-live-wwi-shell-as-doorstop-for-20-years.64402/

Pensioner used live artillery shell as a doorstop for 20 years

2nd July 2007
Daily Mail

A bomb bomb disposal team was called to a pensioner's home to detonate a First World War artillery shell she has used as a doostep for 20 years.

Thelma Bonnett, 68, had used the 90-year-old German explosive to prop open her front door for more than 20 years.

The device had been in the family for nearly a century after her grandfather Arthur Croxall brought it home in 1918.

Armed and dangerous: The live artillery shell has been used as a doorstep for over 20 years

It took pride of place on the family mantelpiece for years and was regularly polished - and even used as toy.

Mrs Bonnett eventually began using it as doorstop in the 1980s until a neighbour spotted it and asked where it had come from.

He immediately called police and a Royal Navy bomb squad discovered the shell was live and packed full of explosives.

Several neighbours were evacuated from their homes and the device taken to a local quarry where it was exploded.

Experts say it is a "miracle" the shell never blew up.

Mrs Bonnett, of Paignton, Devon, said: "I had no idea it was dangerous. Grandfather picked it up on his travels with the Merchant Navy in 1918.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
In the 1980s in Selma AL, a metal doorstopper was being used at Sturdivant Hall, an antebellum museum in town. It had been found on the grounds during some digging / landscaping almost a century before. During an annual "Pilgrimage" historical tour, a guy came through the museum (who just so happened to be knowledgeable on Civil War munitions) and noticed the doorstopper. The doorstopper was shaped like a Parrott shell, a Civil War artillery shell. He picked it up to examine it, and although it was somewhat corroded, he noticed that the base fuse was still intact. He quietly and calmly contacted local law enforcement, who contacted an EOD team from Ft. Rucker (IIRC). They took the doorstopper and upon examination, determined that the shell was still live, over 120 years after the war. It was later detonated on a range.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
View Quote

IN France, they've had UXO from World War ONE. HUGE sections of France (and iirc Belgium) are still cordoned off. And farmers in the "cleared" sections STILL plow them up! They put 'em at the side of the road and call the local police.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

View Quote

Data bus.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

I don't know about that urban legend, but I do know we had a local WWII vet who died back in 2004 (or 2005) in central TX.  Dude had a stash of old pineapple grenades in his garage.  Sheriff called Ft. Hood's EOD team.  Damn E4 that went out there wanted to detonate it in place, in city limits, in this dude's garage.  Another phone call to the commander and direction was given to transport the ordinance to Ft. Hood for disposal.

So because of this experience I had, I tend to belive some of these urban legends like OP's.
View Quote

Well an EOD team leader is an E6 or an E7, and an E4 is uncertified and has absolutely no authority whatsoever on that scene, so there's a plot hole here
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw a 50lb flour sack of potassium chlorate and charcoal homemade explosives being used as a step in front of a door once.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#22]
A guy brought UXO into a marina near Camp Lejune a few years ago.

https://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/article_a00952e2-cfa6-11ea-8edd-af66b9681081.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Buddy of mine grew up in Charleston SC, his house was used as a post in the civil war. He said that as a kid he’d find all kind of stuff from the war. One day he found a metal ball, took it home and stuck it on the drill press, it started sputtering so he hauled ass to tell his grandfather. Grandfather walked in, realized what it was and beat the crap out of him… lol. Didn’t help that the drill press was in the workshop, directly under the house.

One time on a CAX in 29 Palms (I think) we had a new guy show up to camp, but nobody was there, we were in the field doing something. He started walking around, ended up in desert behind camp and found UXO. The newb brainiac was joining our Ordinance shop, and figured he’d show it to his new boss. So he found our Ordinance shop tent, and left it on the desk, then took a nap. We all got back and we’re putting shit away when we started hearing screams of evacuate. We all mustered up and the Ordie Sgt was screaming for the mfer that tried to kill him. As we’re all in formation trying to figure out what was going on, this newb we’d never seen walks up and said it was his. We never saw him again… lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

well, it was the hollywood-teller variety with a multistage trigger and an unobatainium core
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

well, it was the hollywood-teller variety with a multistage trigger and an unobatainium core
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Or the LAPD calculated the demolition charge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

IN France, they've had UXO from World War ONE. HUGE sections of France (and iirc Belgium) are still cordoned off. And farmers in the "cleared" sections STILL plow them up! They put 'em at the side of the road and call the local police.
View Quote
Iron Harvest

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
I’d think the chances of a munition small enough to be used as a door stop also having the ability to make a bus sized crater in an open field would be about nil.  That’s a huge crater.

While I’m sure crazy stuff has happened like that somewhere, any time I hear someone try to tell a story like that I just automatically assume it to be bullshit.  May not even be their fault, it may have been told to them by an older relative who they trust.  Bullshit nonetheless.
View Quote

Satchel charge would fit that description.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#29]
While clearing a house on a search warrant we located several real and active grenades, bomb squad dealt with them. They were WW2 timeframe and were just on a shelf in the living room.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Dad's best friend, an army vet, had a large shell of some sort that he thought wasn't live, as a decoration hanging on his clothes line pole next to his garage. It blew a good size chunk of the garage wall out one cold 20 below night in the late 60's or early 70's.

The house took some shrapnel, but if it had been hanging on the other pole, their bedrooms would have taken a heck of a hit. Old Marvin took a lot of shit for that over the years!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

This I could believe....let's see, door stopper sized object? 4 pounds of Semtex should be just about right....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Not the US, but there is the urban legend of a British Grand Slam bomb being used as a gate guardian at a RAF base for 15 years before it was found to be live.

Cool story, but it is  uncorroborated by anything official.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M14chud] [#33]
Filed firing pin full auto. At least 3 in my lifetime Ive met that claimed to know of or own.
Last one I heard it from claimed it was a Beretta 92 'from the army', others were just AR pattern.
When did that start? Who was the first?
The last 2 I heard I offered to buy sight unseen to call their bluff...nah, they ain't selling, but they dont bring it up again either, which works too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DADGAD] [#34]
There's always the one about the catfish at the bottom of the dam the size of a Volkswagen. Not sure why it's always compared to a Volkswagen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DADGAD:
Catfish at the bottom of the dam the size of a Volkswagen.
View Quote

That's not a very big dam.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Civil war cannon balls next to fire places and they were still live.

I've heard of a few of them blowing up over the years.
View Quote

It wasn’t that long ago that I found out canon balls actually exploded. I always thought it was like bowling. Heave the ball and hope you hit something.

I’m kinda slow…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:43:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#37]
There are military EOD response calls every day across the US for all kinds of explosive hazards.

- war bringbacks
- stolen military ordnance
- verification of museum or collection pieces
- found UXO
- purpose built IEDs or explosives
- old commercial explosives being found
- all kinds of other shit

Usually if it's military the local law enforcement bomb squad calls the military EOD, if there is no LE bomb squad in an area there is an MOU in place for military EOD units to respond. If it's a large incident the local bomb squad may still call military units to assist.

Every inch of the US is covered by primary and secondary military EOD response teams that are on call 24/7 and they get a lot of work.

I've worked IEDs in meth labs, unfired aircraft flares dropped on farms, stolen grenades in peoples houses, old ordnance dug or washed up, rediscovered mining or oil field explosives, museum pieces that turned out to be live...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

It wasn’t that long ago that I found out canon balls actually exploded. I always thought it was like bowling. Heave the ball and hope you hit something.

I’m kinda slow…
View Quote

Some do, some don't. The ones that do often are filled with gunpowder which has become unstable after thousand of moisture and heating/cooling cycles.  They like to detonate above people's mantles quite a bit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#40]
In Afghanistan I was sitting at a table eating in an Afghan police station when I accidentally kicked something under the table. It was a 30 year old Russian AO 2.5RT submunition.

I was in a meeting in an American Major's office and noticed a 30lb pressure cooker IED he had sitting in the corner as a decoration.

People can do some really stupid shit sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#42]
MVI_3406.AVI By Jimmy Ferris Spur Texas
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

View Quote

Interesting.  A WO1 told me about that last time I was at Swift a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By daemon734:
In Afghanistan I was sitting at a table eating in an Afghan police station when I accidentally kicked something under the table. It was a 30 year old Russian AO 2.5RT submunition.

https://i.imgur.com/9MScvZQ.jpg

I was in a meeting in an American Major's office and noticed a 30lb pressure cooker IED he had sitting in the corner as a decoration.

https://i.imgur.com/ITbdklP.jpg

People can do some really stupid shit sometimes.
View Quote

Were those live?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Some do, some don't. The ones that do often are filled with gunpowder which has become unstable after thousand of moisture and heating/cooling cycles.  They like to detonate above people's mantles quite a bit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

I’m kinda slow…

I have a civil war cannonball slightly smaller than a baseball sitting on my plant shelf…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't know if he ever used it as a door stop, but I know a Florida national guardsman that took home an 81mm HE mortar round.
I never heard anything about him blowing himself up or it ever being turned in. I'm guessing it's still out there near Sanford Fl somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Were those live?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Did his doorstop look like this?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:

Did his doorstop look like this?

https://d1ldvf68ux039x.cloudfront.net/thumbs/photos/1908/5652612/2000w_q95.jpg
View Quote

Nice booster blocks~
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:
Never heard that one. Last one I heard making the rounds before the net was "The call was from inside the house!" one.
View Quote

I love spooky stories.

There's a modern one if you dig that stuff.

A Redditor's Strange Experience with Security Cameras
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top