[Last Edit: helogene] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Voices...
View Quote

Miami Vice: Russ Ballard - Voices [1080p HD Stereo Remaster]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't watch much TV in that era, but never missed Miami Vice.
It was a traditional Friday night thing to gather with a few friends at one particular house because the guy had a great TV and had a state of the art sound system hooked up to it, sounded great.
Never missed an episode and we were all bummed out when the series ended on a sour note. The last season sucked donkey balls, it just went from bad to worse.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay what am I missing here? The boat in the OP doesn't look anything like the video just above me which I believe is the real Miami vice boat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:58:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skydivesnake] [#7]
Looks like it's for sale ? Group buy ?

https://yachtcreators.com/miami-vice/
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:02:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tnriverluver] [#8]
It looked a hell of a lot better in the original color scheme than what the restoration crew has done to it.
ETA there is a reason boat decks are and should be white!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Geesh I never really noticed while actually watching that show bur Sony wore that Bren Ten out in a few years time!

Miami Vice | Sonny Crockett Shooting Compilation | All Seasons
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I still want that boat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#12]

geez that thing just screams "you really can't even afford to be looking at me"

niiiccceeeee
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#13]
When I moved to Miami, I bought a Wellcraft St. Tropez with twin 454 Chevies in it. It burned 30 to 40 gallons an hour.  I got rid of it after three years because I just couldn't afford the gas.

But, boy was that thing fun!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I can confirm that cigarette boats were at least occasionally used in real life drug interdiction efforts in south Florida in the late 1970s - mid 1980s.  I can also confirm that a twin 454 at wot on open water could consume almost a gallon of fuel per minute.  They fortunately had 100 - 150 gallon fuel tanks, but that didn't help if you didn't fuel up before going out.  Obviously Miami Vice was pure fiction, but the drug enforcement and interdiction efforts that actually went on in that time period ranged from mundane to utterly beyond belief.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:46:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Originally Posted By a390st:
I can confirm that cigarette boats were at least occasionally used in real life drug interdiction efforts in south Florida in the late 1970s - mid 1980s.  I can also confirm that a twin 454 at wot on open water could consume almost a gallon of fuel per minute.  They fortunately had 100 - 150 gallon fuel tanks, but that didn't help if you didn't fuel up before going out.  Obviously Miami Vice was pure fiction, but the drug enforcement and interdiction efforts that actually went on in that time period ranged from mundane to utterly beyond belief.

Yeah, you don't get into 'go fast' boats if you have to ask how much fuel they consume.  I look at what my single 350 Verado drinks and shake my head at the thought of twin big blocks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Are you telling me not to get a blue, orange or lime green Midnight Express?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:
It looked a hell of a lot better in the original color scheme than what the restoration crew has done to it.
View Quote

How you could not take it back to the TV color scheme is beyond me.  Colors as shown in the video look like crap
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By StarJumper:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StarJumper:

I may or may not be guilty of watching the 'Boat Zone' vids on YouTube for, ah, um, the boats of course!

It always reminds me of just how much of a poor I am, but man, some of those paint schemes are just puke inducing. Apparently more money than style/taste in that crowd.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
The two videos above are not the same boat. MAybe same hull number, but the correct boat needs the correct as seen on M.V. paint scheme.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I think season 1 used a Chris Craft.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#23]
That paint job is horrible. They should have redone the paint and interior as original.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Thought the OP was talking about this Scarab.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

You can confirm a lot. Carbed 454s were hungry. Blowers were much worse. The boats that did the runs were heavier than consumer boats. 60mph was a good clip then, and one mile per gallon was typical. So a gallon a minute tracks exactly.

I can confirm I owned an Apache that was sitting on the lot when Don was killed in 1987.

I can also confirm that the "Original Miami Vice Scarab" was a Chris Craft Stinger.
Not the ugly ass series of KVs that followed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By tnriverluver:
Geesh I never really noticed while actually watching that show bur Sony wore that Bren Ten out in a few years time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZonQaYbxbFM
View Quote
I think in the episode about Trudy's OIS, one of the IAD guys mentions that Sonny had been in thirteen or fourteen shooting incidents...at that point.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#27]
The original boat in season one was a Chris craft 39. The well craft scarab didn’t show up until later.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Twin big blocks in a boat is a beautiful sound. I had the pleasure of hanging around Put-In-Bay while there were still a few around.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

You can confirm a lot. Carbed 454s were hungry. Blowers were much worse. The boats that did the runs were heavier than consumer boats. 60mph was a good clip then, and one mile per gallon was typical. So a gallon a minute tracks exactly.

I can confirm I owned an Apache that was sitting on the lot when Don was killed in 1987.

I can also confirm that the "Original Miami Vice Scarab" was a Chris Craft Stinger.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

Didn't Apache boats win some big races back then?  If I recall correctly they used kevlar in the hulls.  I still remember my cousin going on about 1000 hp kevlar boats, and I thought he qas talkimg about Apaches.  Maybe I'm thinking about a little more recent boats.  I haven't really kept up with this topic over the years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#31]
I knew the man who cast the aluminum engine blocks for the Mercruiser 420's at Stillwater, OK plant

peace be upon him
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Miami Vice had the coolest - the boats, the cars, the music, the clothes... In the late 80s, there was just nothing cooler that what was on Miami Vice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#33]
You are missing out if you haven't watched those Haulover Inlet videos.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#34]
The sounds those engines make is incredible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump for night crew
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#36]
That was a cool show.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#37]
The prob with Wellcraft Scarabs is the rotten transoms, stringers and deck cores. I spent almost 20 years in the boat repair biz. You could make a career out of just doing that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

In retrospect, one of the funniest days, when I first bought my St. Tropez, was a mechanic working on the new engines before I put them into the boat.  One of them was sitting in the stand, at the engine shop, and he cranked it up with it running from a fuel line stuck in a coffee can.  I'm watching it run, and you can see the fuel level in the can going down.  And, I asked the mechanic, "What's wrong this engine, why is it using so much fuel."  

The old mechanic looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "That's a 454 ,son.  That's what they do."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top