Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2024 10:59:08 PM EDT
I'm making a two-seater computer desk and have decided to use a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood for the desktop to make it a little easier on myself. I'm trying to figure out what would make a durable surface for it.

Two part epoxy would do the trick but I've never used it before and this would be a pretty big project for a first time. Do ya'll have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#1]
Plastic laminate.  (Formica, Wilsonart, etc)

Probably not any easier than 2 part epoxy, but not terribly difficult either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Or plexiglas
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Formica would be my choice.

Simple work.  Just need a trim router and a bit
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Total Boat thin set resin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Two part epoxy is not "easy" but it would give good results.

I would consider painting and a custom piece of plexiglass. That way you can keep notes or pictures under it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
2 part epoxy is great but is very vulnerable to UV. Don’t fuck with the crap sold for pouring thats blended to cash in on the live edge table fad. Get a good marine epoxy. Get one that mixes in a 5:1 ratio. The 1:1 or 2:1 epoxies give up too much. I know you aren’t building a boat but its worth getting the good shit.
 Mix the epoxy well. When you think you’re done stirring, keep stirring. Then thin it. Xylene is best but unavailable in a lot of blue states. Denatured alcohol also worked well. It doesn’t take much to make the epoxy watery. Then brush it on and let it soak in. Once dry sand the lifted grain and cover with spar varnish or paint.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a bit unorthodox, but I used a few solid-core flooring tiles on my workbench. They have a rubbery backing that keeps them from moving, and I used some extruded aluminum angle as a border to hold them in place. If the tiles get tore up, you can easily pull off the angle and replace them. I also got a pack of interlocking foam floor mats (work-out or yoga mats?) to use when I'm working on the guns. Two of them covers most of the bench top.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:18:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#8]
I'm going to depart from the pack and suggest ZAR ULTRA Polyurethane. I had to fabricate some thresholds out of Russian Pine between my office and hallway. I finished with this stuff. Self leveling, satin finish. I walk on it a dozen times a day and after 4 years it still looks great. It's oil based and intended for floors and furniture.

Picture of said threshold taken just now
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I used the cheap water-based floor polyurethane, prepped with the hardener, on my plywood desk. It has held up fine for years.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of the input. I'm reading more into these options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top