Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2024 1:20:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know much about his presidency but I do know that MacArthur called him “the best clerk I ever had” when Eisenhower was given the task the European theater. Which is a pretty creative insult.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:27:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Arty8] [#2]
He knew how to handle a staff and set policy, smart enough to keep the US out of Vietnam.  Not smart enough to see the national security state bills he signed would grow into the behemoth agencies they are today.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't even born then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I was born earlier in the same year he was elected. So for most of his terms, I was just a kid.

My memories of his terms were influenced by people and reading done later. They're positive, especially compared to what followed.

On a school trip in '66, we had his Gettysburg farm house pointed out, but I don't think he was in residence then.

His warning about the Military Industrial Complex still rings true all of these years later.

Unlike several recent presidents, he was a patriot and loved his country.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Bungler of the Normandy Landing.

He fucked up a ton of that, and got a lot of Americans killed. We had such overpowering logistic superiority and the Nazis make some stupid decisions - saved his ass.

Big Government Republican. Looked upon favorably largely because of the 1950s - immediate post war, we were untouchable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I like that he coined the term "Military-Industrial Complex"
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A somewhat good President, relied too heavily on the CIA and the State Department/Establishment crowd, particularly in the Middle East. Screwed over the Brits, French and Israelis in the Suez Canal intervention on their advice, and regretted it publicly years later. Maintained unreasonably high tax rates that allowed Kennedy to run as a tax cutter. Let his WW2 experiences drive his foreign policy, often against better judgement. Stephen Ambrose first came to prominence for his “Hidden Hand Presidency” analysis that partially resurrected his reputation in the late 1970’s. All in all, not great but not terrible, although he could have been tougher on the Russians. His lukewarm support of Nixon in 1960 played a factor in Kennedy’s razor thin victory.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By atavistic:

He fucked up a ton of that, and got a lot of Americans killed. We had such overpowering logistic superiority and the Nazis make some stupid decisions - saved his ass.

Big Government Republican. Looked upon favorably largely because of the 1950s - immediate post war, we were untouchable.
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I rate him on the good side for the most part.  None are going to do everything perfect, and it's important to look at the context when reviewing his decisions.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
If you look back at Kennedy and everything that's transpired in the last 60 years, I think he was the first person to realize the US government was a beast of it's own that wasn't going to be satisfied with doing the bidding of the American public. It wields and incredible amount of power and wealth and it's just too tempting for the average human being not to twist and turn it for his own benefit.

I used to think most people where good and honest, but when you dim the lights a bit, morals become a secondary consideration.

Not say that there aren't good, honest people, but it's probably closer to 30 - 40% now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The only president from Kansas, so we like him here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
requisite Wiki linky

So who liked Ike?

View Quote

Ike was the man
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By atavistic:

View Quote

You’ll need to provide some details here, because Normandy was a huge success from where I’m sitting
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Whamo:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Because he helped create it. While he wasn’t looking, the alphabet agencies and DOD, became the governing body.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw a documentary with his West Point classmates saying that he was unexceptional.  Sure proved them wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I like his farm a lot. He and Neru talked about cows there.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Decent president.

Marshal had to coach him during WW2. He then through Marshal under the bus during his campaign to be president.

He was VERY timid with the Russians which led to the Korean fiasco. We should have dropped the bridges over the Yalu river. According to Bradley, they did not want to provoke the Russians by doing that. Everything revolved around the Russians during that time. And I mean everything.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Before my time, but I watched a documentary on the Cuban Missile Crisis where Kennedy called Ike to ask for his advice on handling the situation.  They played some of the audiotapes from the phone calls.  After watching that program I had a much higher opinion on both men.  I know back then people in both parties typically had the best interest of the nation in mind at all times and maybe this is something that happens more often below the radar, but it was refreshing to see that in action with no egos or partisanship involved.  Kennedy admitted that he was in a bind and Ike admitted it was a helluva problem for anyone to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
I saw a documentary with his West Point classmates saying that he was unexceptional.  Sure proved them wrong.
View Quote

The Class the Stars Fell On, 1915
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AK] [#22]
View Quote

His name of it was not helpful enough for me to figure out what he was talking about, until the last decade.

Bilderbergers, now called the WEF.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]
EISENHOWER SPEECH ON FORMOSA - SOUND
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Where's my thread from two weeks ago?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#25]
This was what impressed my generation the most: LINK

Here's what it says: "Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

*He accidentally dated the letter July 5. It should have been June 5. We're sure he had a lot on his mind.
View Quote

He was also right about the future.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]
He nominated Earl FUCKING Warren to the Supreme Court. That legacy is STILL screwing us today. He was way too cozy with
a lot of important Segregationalist leaders. He fucked with Senator Joe McCarthy's efforts to shine light on the amount of Commies
in the government and military.

Other than that, he was a good President.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Eisenhower In Taiwan (1960)
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Arty8:
He knew how to handle a staff and set policy, smart enough to keep the US out of Vietnam.  Not smart enough to see the national security state bills he signed would grow into the behemoth agencies they are today.
View Quote

It's a bit off of the topic, but I wonder if any of the founding fathers could have foreseen how the issue of slavery might explode into what it did.  It's been so long since I read anything on the state of the country, slavery, and the issue in America's earliest years, but from what I remember, it was an issue even in the 1770s, 80s, 90s.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#29]
He was giving warnings out to the public about as best as he could do without getting JFK'd.

JFK skipped the subtle part and paid for it.

JFK | Secret Societies Speech | Long Version
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Eisenhower Farewell Address (Best Quality) - 'Military Industrial Complex' WARNING
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
He ordered the assassination of the first democratically elected president of Zaire and installed a dictator in his place.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#32]
He acquiesced to the OSS killing Patton.  Spent 20+ years building up the MIC then gave a half harted warning on his way out.
He acquiesced to the CIAs Bay of Pigs invasion  then stalled it long enough to drop it in JFKs lap.
He got us involved with Vietnam.  He condemned Israel, UK and France in the Suez cannal war.

In short, Deep State POS with a good PR machine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Farewell Address, 1961,
IV
A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for
instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peace time,
or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of
plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk
emergency improvisation of national defense;; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments
industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in
the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United
State corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American
experience. The total influence economic, political, even spiritual is felt in every city, every state house,
every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we
must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved;; so is
the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether
sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced
power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We
should take nothing for granted only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing
of huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security
and liberty may prosper together.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
View Quote

Give me Patton, the men and the gas and I could have won ww2!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Robertpistol:
He was giving warnings out to the public about as best as he could do without getting JFK'd.

JFK skipped the subtle part and paid for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfzJaLXujTE
View Quote

Imagine any of that being said by current pols, or thought by current news people.

It comes from a different time, in a different world. And it's only just over 60 years ago.

His party has gone off the rails, and have forgotten they're Americans.

I was 11 when he was killed. I remember the adults crying in public, just about everywhere. Not just his party, either.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By THEBAUMER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyBNmecVtdU
View Quote

This was his crowning achievement.

He a better administrative General than he was tepid President, but he lifted part of the curtain to let us understand the nature of the MIC.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
He acquiesced to the OSS killing Patton.  Spent 20+ years building up the MIC then gave a half harted warning on his way out.
He acquiesced to the CIAs Bay of Pigs invasion  then stalled it long enough to drop it in JFKs lap.
He got us involved with Vietnam.  He condemned Israel, UK and France in the Suez cannal war.

View Quote
^^I dis like IKE
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

View Quote
Book I read ( Triumph Forsaken, IIRC) told the story of Kennedy asking Ike about Vietnam, after Kennedy was elected President, so 1960.

Ike told Kennedy that he must pacify Laos to have any hope of saving S Vietnam.  This was due to Ike knowing that N Vietnam would supply men and material through Laos ( what would later become known as the Ho Chi Minh trail).

Once installed as President, Kennedy asked his military advisers how many men it would take to pacify Laos. He was told at least 10k.  Kennedy felt that was not politically viable.  If true, I would say Kennedy lost the war at that moment.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GI-45:

The Class the Stars Fell On, 1915
View Quote

West Point should give out awards for dudes that graduate mid-pack. Those guys might be President one day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#40]
Originally Posted By Strike6:
Decent president.

Marshal had to coach him during WW2. He then through Marshal under the bus during his campaign to be president.

He was VERY timid with the Russians which led to the Korean fiasco. We should have dropped the bridges over the Yalu river. According to Bradley, they did not want to provoke the Russians by doing that. Everything revolved around the Russians during that time. And I mean everything.
View Quote
Always wonder if this how it actually went down with Patton.

Ike gives Patton a reprimand

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Because he helped create it. While he wasn’t looking, the alphabet agencies and DOD, became the governing body.
View Quote

They got that ball rolling in WWII while he was busy fighting the Nazis.

I don't think he understood what he was dealing with until very late in his presidency. It's not like they were open about doing shit like running guns to the Haganah in direct violation of Truman's EO's on the matter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
Before my time, but I watched a documentary on the Cuban Missile Crisis where Kennedy called Ike to ask for his advice on handling the situation.  They played some of the audiotapes from the phone calls.  After watching that program I had a much higher opinion on both men.  I know back then people in both parties typically had the best interest of the nation in mind at all times and maybe this is something that happens more often below the radar, but it was refreshing to see that in action with no egos or partisanship involved.  Kennedy admitted that he was in a bind and Ike admitted it was a helluva problem for anyone to deal with.
View Quote

Kennedy was being urged to go with a preemptive strike.

He regarded that as utter madness...hence reaching out to Ike when his advisors were urging him to do catastrophically stupid shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Trash. Deployed the 101st Airborne on American citizens.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:34:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:

Give me Patton, the men and the gas and I could have won ww2!
View Quote
True.

Now imagine you are the average draftee who after years of sacrifice and death being told to attack the folks that helped you win the war.

Soldiers were tired, the nation was tired and broke. No way were we in any shape to launch another invasion, especially in Russia.

Now imagine the world watching the US drop nukes on the people that helped win the war.

And just know we would have done this alone, nobody was coming to fight by our side after backstabbing Russia, no matter that it really needed to be done.

Patton kicked ass, yet he should have realized the above.

Eisenhower was smart, he knew there was zero support back home to see their children sent back to die months after they won WW2.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Always wonder if this how it actually went down with Patton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZZjQ3bbvE
View Quote

Patton was a freaking Legend. And right about the Commies. No wonder the Deep State had to silence him.

Very flattering to have 6'4" Tom Selleck play such a masculine Eisenhower. The real Ike was milquetoast and much shorter and slighter in build than Alpha Male Patton, who was a real fighting General, not an administrator.

In a well functioning government, we need a balance of personalities, but as President, passive Ike allowed the great decline to begin....
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#46]
My grandmother was a deligate from Indiana to the Republican National Convention when Ike was nominated.

When a reporter asked what she thought about it my grandmother said it was the first time the Republicans had ever nominated a Democrat.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Ike once said, “I studied theatrics under MacArthur”.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I liked him... I did a book report on Ike in the 5th grade.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:25:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Reading a MacArthur biography, not particularly flattering to Mac but he does criticize Ike for the ETO and claims the landings at Normandy wasted lives needlessly.

Would have been interesting to see how MacArthur would have approached it..
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#50]
This has been really interesting
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top