Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2023 10:01:49 PM EDT
Ive been an avid 2 wheel biker since I was a kid, took my road bike with me when I was in the army, and have ridden 2 wheels most of my life.  That said, life and various misadventures (I have had significant injuries to both a shoulder and an ankle) have taken their toll and I just don't ride anymore.  I have gone through the rebuld/improvement/update phase a couple times on my old bikes, but my 300lb ass just can't hack it anymore.  I work too much and have more excuses than a busload of teenagers about why I can't get in shape, but it all boils down to everything hurts.  Every time I have tried to get back in shape in the last 5 years, I have ended up over-doing things and ending up barely able to stand the next day week.  

Then COVID destroyed everything and my workload doubled and then got bigger yet, so I was coming home from work with no motivation to do anything while my co-workers were "working from home" and doing things like posting on facebook about cleaning their gutters or remodelling their basement.  Now all of my co-workers are required to be back in the office (whining all the way) and my workload has relaxed a bit and I am running out of excuses for why I cannot finish this project and get back to losing weight and getting in better shape.  I have had a couple of friends pass away lately, and one guy was the same age as me, so this is no longer a theoretical "I'll get to it someday" kinda problem, I need to get on this.   But none of that is the point of this thread.  

The point of this thread is I traded a rifle for a trike a while back, - a Terratrike Rambler and it solved many of my issues, but one significant issue that remains is that I live on a hill, have quite an incline even on my driveway, and I managed to exhaust myself on more than one occasion to the point where I couldn't make it back up my driveway at home, or even stand up.  So, I decided to electrify this trike so no matter how hard I overdid things, I could always get home.  I looked up GRIN in canada and bought one of their geared hub motors (TDCM IGH) and what I thought was enough kit to make my trike go on its own (to get me home when I went out riding).  That was probably a mistake, because I had nothing but problems and nothing ever fit right (or in some cases at all), so I was back to no trike since it is still all taken apart in my garage.  In hindsight, I should have just purchased a different electric trike (that would actually work) but I am stubborn and stupid, and I don't want to waste the time and effort I already put into this.  Plus, I know my own personality well enough that when I have tried to buy my way out of problems, it rarely goes as planned.

SO, the point of this thread is twofold.  First, I need motivation to do this, I need to cut double digits off of my BMI, and I am not coordinated enough to do crossfit anymore.  Second, I know I will need specific help getting this trike back together, and I am hoping I can ask questions here when I run into individual problems and get some actual help assuming the bike community on here isn't bigoted against third wheels....  

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's start with your diet, what is it like?

You're not going to exercise your way out of a bad diet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top