Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2024 12:53:43 PM EDT
Son is Freshman in college in commercial flight program. He's being offered a two month summer internship and scholarship award by EAA.  I guess it would be in Osh Kosh this summer. They also provide a generous stipend.

Is this worth it, versus him remaining on campus over the summer to build more flight hours?  He arrived at school as a Freshman already having private pilots and has passed written test for Instrument rating last week.  Point is, he's progressing well and isn't playing catch up on hours.

Only down side I see is he won't be flying at college during summer but that doesn't mean he can't get some hours in in Wisconsin.

Hed miss family vacation but he's kind of wanting to do  it.

Thoughts from those with more knowledge or experience?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fredegar] [#1]
My outsider perspective: The "worth" or value of the internship should bolster a resume. For example, I did a summer internship while I was in college. It was an office setting and I learned "soft skills" and gained experience that I was able to refer to when applying for jobs after I graduated.

What skills, knowledge or contacts will he gain by working for the EAA that will translate into giving him a leg up when trying to become a commercial pilot?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fredegar:
My outsider perspective: The "worth" or value of the internship should bolster a resume. For example, I did a summer internship while I was in college. It was an office setting and I learned "soft skills" and gained experience that I was able to refer to when applying for jobs after I graduated.

What skills, knowledge or contacts will he gain by working for the EAA that will translate into giving him a leg up when trying to become a commercial pilot?
View Quote

Only job hes ever had was a summer one at local grocery, so anything to bolster his resume would be ideal. Wife and I are not aviation buffs and know nothing about EAA. It sounds like a great opportunity and he would be acting as a mentor to younger kids interested in aviation.  He's good at that and is very approachable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO he should be building time and getting more ratings over the summer, not messing about with internships much less with the EAA as a volunteer. It's a good bet he's not getting enough flight time at school.

IIRC it's been posted more than once by airline pilots that the fastest way to the majors is not going to an aviation university.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
IMHO he should be building time and getting more ratings over the summer,
View Quote

This, assuming he wants to do the airline thing or another job where hours are required.  

On the flip side, if he wants to fly in the military then hours/ratings don’t matter.  In fact, mentoring kids would be virtually guaranteed to look better to the selection board than a few additional flight hours hours.  

Like everything else in life, it depends on what you want to do.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#5]
What would he be doing on campus during the summer?

Flying/mentoring younger pilots would look good on his resume for extra curricular activities, as would receiving the scholarship.

If he has to get his rating through the school anyways, I would take this opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]
He absolutely should take the EAA offer! Besides the resume boost he will be exposed to more aviation in 1 summer than most people get in a lifetime. I am sure he will also get alot of flight time in a variety of aircraft with some of the best mentors in the world. The personal connections alone are worth it! I am so jealous.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Wiscoshooter:
He absolutely should take the EAA offer! Besides the resume boost he will be exposed to more aviation in 1 summer than most people get in a lifetime. I am sure he will also get alot of flight time in a variety of aircraft with some of the best mentors in the world. The personal connections alone are worth it! I am so jealous.
View Quote

This is pretty much what the instructors at UND and the older classmates who attended the EAA internship in the past said as well.

While he wants to fly commerical, racing to get there isn't the goal. He wants to enjoy college, the experiences and to make connections along the way.  

He got his PPL while in high school and is now close to his instrument rating. He passed the instrument written test with a 95% and maintains his 1st class medical, so he's well situated. He'll finish his Freshman year right at around 300 hours in his flight log.  

So, we think he deserves a break and to go have some fun in Osh Kosh for the summer.

You're right, he will have plenty of opportunities to fly while there.  Three of his buddies from UND are going as well, so he will have friends.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
IMHO he should be building time and getting more ratings over the summer, not messing about with internships much less with the EAA as a volunteer. It's a good bet he's not getting enough flight time at school.

IIRC it's been posted more than once by airline pilots that the fastest way to the majors is not going to an aviation university.
View Quote

This.   Speed is of the essence.  Ie. The time it takes to get from today, to the right seat of a Regional, and then to the right seat of a Major.

The only possible benefit is maybe he’d network with some airline pilots?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Not aviation related, but Oshkosh is a decent area. Lots of fishing and outdoor stuff to do. Appleton isn't far away, and Green Bay just a little further. Oshkosh is a college town though, so plenty of things to do there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like he has 3 years to go in college, which is ample time to make up for "missed" flight hours at school.

If he hadn't already had his Private ticket, I'd say stay in school and on track to it, but in his case, TAKE THE INTERNSHIP.

The networking he may be able to do with people in the industry will be far more valuable in the future than a few more hours in the logbook (not to mention the money saved on school rental aircraft) and chances are, he'll have opportunities to fly far more diverse and advanced airplanes that what is available on the school flightline and may even be able to get some instrument time in (it all counts).
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:24:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spectre3] [#11]
In his situation, I'd take the internship.

However, the requirement for hours to fly commercial is a big barrier that stops most prospective pilots.

College flight programs have much less competition for flight time in the summer and it's usually cheaper as well so this summer will probably be the last realistic opportunity he has to do an internship because even though he's "not in a rush", it takes a lot of time and money to get the necessary flight time and his next 3 summers (because no one really finishes a 4 yr flight program in exactly 4 years) will be focused on getting hours.

Inevitably, he'll also become an IP at his school to offset cost as well which will all but require working in the summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top